Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Band • Page 58

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. abw123

Trusted

You guys don't like Oh Love?

Agree that Dos is the weakest and has a few truly bad songs

Agree that the songs on the trilogy are too "samey"

But also think, on the whole, they are fine songs.

Dirty Rotten Bastards and 99 Revolutions are keepers for me on Tres

2. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

To me Oh Love feels like the longest recorded song in music history

Doomsday, ECV, Craig Manning and 3 others like this.
  3. abw123

Trusted

Fair enough. I dig Oh Love quite a bit.

4. abw123

Trusted

And I know some people don't want them to do another rock opera, but I do. Even if it's not as good as American Idiot (it won't be) - 21st CB was very good too. I think they do that multi-suite song thing very well. I think they have more good music in them.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Oh Love is a high point of those albums

Anthony_ likes this.
  6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

To be fair I really don't dislike the song at all, it just feels massively dragged out

7. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

No thanks.

Anthony_ likes this.
  8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I play Oh Love at parties as a joke. Song sucks and accurately set the tone for the trilogy. The song never ends.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I actually forgot about Oh Love. That’s a top tier GD song for me. Still doesn’t redeem the trilogy haha

10. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

The ten best trilogy songs in no particular order:

Stay the Night
    Oh Love
    Stray Heart
    Ashley
    Brutal Love
    Missing You
    X-Kid
    Dirty Rotten Bastards

..... I guess I stopped at eight

Owlex likes this.
  11. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

So I just looked at the tracklists and I think the songs I could tolerate the most were on Tre. I feel like I should do a re-listen but I don’t even know if I want to lol.

12. tomdelonge

Trusted

i think the trilogy straight sucks but i'm glad it exists. it's a cool experiment but the plastic production is so so so wrong for the material....and the material is reallllly thin.

a couple times i've tried to whittle it all down to a 17 song Nimrod kinda record, but all that really does is emphasize how weak even the strongest songs are.

the documentary is cool though

FTank likes this.
  13. 333 GANG

ACAB

Oh Love is the definition of mediocrity for me. Nothing memorable about the song whatsoever, it’s just kind of... there

14. btr

Trusted Supporter

Stay The Night
    Let Yourself Go
    Fell for You
    Oh Love
    Stray Heart
    Brutal Love
    Missing You
    X-Kid

So 8/37 for me lol

15. tomdelonge

Trusted

Oh Love is one of my favorite trilogy songs but it's just Oh Kay.

Who wore it better

16. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Yes yes yes! I've seen plenty of peoples ideal Trilogy tracklists over the years and usually they differ drastically from person to person! All of these songs deserve to exist because each one is somebody's favorite! Even Nightlife! That song is dumb as fuck but tons of fun for me.

I understand the reservations people bring forward about the production, I think they could have gone a different way and served the songs better BUT the songs themselves imo are so damn good the production doesn't matter. Idk the trilogy means so much to me and I love defending it haha. It does seem like more people have come around over the years!

Gallhammer likes this.
  17. [​IMG]

Anthony_ likes this.
  18. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Tom,

Why are you glad it exists if by your own admission it's total shit? Does it a hold a key to another dimension? Does it contain alien code? Is it somehow part of your contract with Mark and Travis?

19. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm still a trilogy defender but I won't try to change anyone's mind lol. Obviously since there's literally almost 40 songs there were bound to be some stinkers. I still count Uno/Dos/Tre as one album instead of three separate ones so that probably helps it for me

I've posted it here before but here's the single album tracklist that I made

1. See You Tonight
    2. 99 Revolutions
    3. Stay the Night
    4. Nuclear Family
    5. Stray Heart
    6. Kill the DJ
    7. Let Yourself Go
    8. Lazy Bones
    9. X-Kid
    10. Rusty James (extremely underrated song)
    11. Wow! That's Loud
    12. Oh Love
    13. Missing You
    14. Dirty Rotten Bastards
    15. Brutal Love

Now that I think about it, my nostalgia for this period also probably really helps my perception of the albums. When they were playing all those secret shows in like tiny clubs and premiering tons and tons of new songs that was such an exciting thing to follow

Doomsday and irthesteve like this.
  21. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I only listened to one of the trilogy albums, not sure which, but I thought it was a pretty fun rock album. I didn’t listen to it again though.

22. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Love that tracklisting. When I made my "trilogy edited" album brutal love was the closer for that too. Also agree about Rusty James, that one is really good.
    From your list I'd scrap Kill the DJ, Wow that's Loud, and Oh Love.
    Would add instead Sweet 16 and Walk Away. Nice 14 track album there.

tdlyon likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Here's what I have:

Trilogy.JPG

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  24. Here's what I have:

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 11.57.04 AM.png

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Ooh yeah I think I agree with replacing Wow That's Loud with Sweet 16, good call. I made that a while ago but I think I kept Kill the DJ and Oh Love because I made myself keep all the singles, though I do like both of those songs actually