Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day to Release New Book

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Green Day will be releasing a new book called Last of the American Girls on October 29th via Dey Street Books.

Named after the song “Last of the American Girls” off “21st Century Breakdown,” the book is described as “an inspiring homage and handbook for the rebellious everywoman who refuses to capitulate,” according to a statement from their publisher. No further details are available at this time, but the book is being further billed as a celebration of “true rebel girls,” another song reference to the “American Idiot” track “She’s a Rebel.”

2. BradBradley

Regular

So, a handbook for women that is written by men?

3. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Ah, nothing like three straight guys telling a woman how to act.

4. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Hey, they wrote “She” way back in 94. Therefore they are old-school feminists.

artbynickferran likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think you’ve made an assumption in this statement that’s kind of unfortunate.

6. Ska Senanake Apr 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2019)
    Ska Senanake

Trusted

Maybe wait to view the content before writing it off? Men can be feminists too and support women's rights and equality. We certainly can't dictate or define the movement or what is best for women, but we can support them in what they define is best for them and the movement.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Simply used as an example...Wonder Woman and Black Panther were both created by ‘white men’, but have been embraced as icons of strength for females and black culture, and further evolved by those communities and embraced by everyone in pop cultures.

If it’s something positive, then why do people have to have a negative opinion on it? Also, once it’s released, you can gauge if they are successful based on feedback, reactions or your own opinion.

8. Neon Light

rage and love

Billie Joe isn't straight.

9. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Sorry, no thanks. There is no scenario these days in which men should be writing instructional or inspirational “handbooks” for women.

10. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I think the word handbook might be being taken a little too literally. Seems like it is a book about rebellious women and the handbook part is just a “these women did and accomplished these things, you can model things you do off of them”. Not a “we think you should do these things based on what these women did”.

I could be totally wrong though, we’ll just have to wait and see what’s in it

Ska Senanake and artbynickferran like this.
  11. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I definitely shouldn't have made the assumptions that a) they are all straight and b) the book is going to be along those lines. My response was reactionary and a bad hot take. Thanks for calling me out.

The premise of the book stated here still rubs me the wrong way, but reading the actual article makes it seem like it might be more of an homage to non-famous women who are rebellious feminists, which I am all for. I'll save any further judgements and assumptions til I actually read the book.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wasn’t trying to mean. I do think people tend to over react on minimal information at times. I think the intent is good form Green Day. We’ll find out if the reception is when it comes out.

I respect the fact you did a little more research to further shaped your opinion and are willing to keep the conversation going.

Ska Senanake and artbynickferran like this.
  13. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

I was just about to say the same thing

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Good content is is good content. People need to get over their preconceived notions and placing creative limitations. People are exposed to more cultures/diversity now than ever before (if they want to) because of the internet.

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

People are mad about a book they haven’t read. If you read it and felt it lacked a female voice based on the content I’d get it.

PD James wrote a great story about a British man in named Theo in a distopian future where people can’t have children. It was turned into a film and adapted to screen lead by Alfonso Cuaron. You don’t need to be a white British man, to tell an amazing story about a white British Man.

Also, Children on Men is really good.

16. Zach

Trusted Supporter

We literally don’t even know the contents beyond it’s illustrated and about women who have accomplished things. People are acting like no women at all were consulted on this which is quite a leap to make, given the limited info we have and who is behind the book. People telling them to get fucked (not in here obviously) is a little overboard at this point in time

17. Women voicing concerns about representation from top to bottom in an industry is not the time to make a "people can write about people they aren't" argument. Literally no reason to do that.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Has there been a women in punk rock who has done this kind of book before?