Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Revolution Radio (October 7, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, I've never been much of a blink fan either, to be honest. I'd take American Idiot over the entire blink catalog.

Also bummed about the Detroit show. Hope I can still go. A Saturday night was going to be perfect for me, since it's not exactly close to me.

ECV likes this.
  2. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

ECV likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

This record is definitely not going to change anyone's minds. People who think they've been bad since American Idiot will likely continue to think so. But I think this record takes a lot of the positive elements of the trilogy and 21CB while scrapping some of the excessive bombast and indulgence. It's definitely a step in the right direction, and more or less the album I wanted to hear from them right now.

Doomsday, Steeeve Perry and ECV like this.
  4. KimmyGibbler

It has, somewhat, changed my mind. For the exact reasons you laid out. It took the songwriting prowess they have displayed in their later albums and removed the all of the fat.

5. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I have always been a bigger blink fan but Billie Joe has always been a better songwriter. I don't think he's been great after AI though. A few songs here and there. Revolution Radio sounds like it came out of a Green Day lyric randomizer to me.

I like Bang Bang and Still Breathing a decent amount. Don't listen to leaks so I'll wait to hear the rest lol.

6. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Green Day's been my favorite band since I was an 11 year old buying American Idiot, I loved the trilogy for what it was, and this does not disappoint. Already much better than the trilogy, and really fucking weird and experimental in places. After the first day of listening I think Somewhere Now is one of their strongest openers, and other favorites are Outlaws (Billie's vocals are phenomenal) Say Goodbye and Too Dumb To Die. But honestly every song on this record will have its place as my favorite at some point.

Just so happy they're back with such a strong album. :-) Out of my mind excited to see them on Wednesday!

Jose likes this.
  7. Neon Light

rage and love

Because I think both Somewhere Now and Ordinary World are incredibly strong openers and closers respectively, I ranked all their openers and closers:

Openers:
    1. 21st Century Breakdown
    2. Somewhere Now
    3. Brutal Love
    4. American Idiot
    5. Burnout
    6. Armatage Shanks
    7. Nice Guys Finish Last
    8. Warning
    9. 2000 Light Years Away
    10. Nuclear Family
    11. At the Library
    12. See You Tonight

Closers:
    1. Whatsername
    2. Ordinary World
    3. Macy’s Day Parade
    4. Prosthetic Head
    5. Walking Contradiction
    6. F.O.D
    7. Words I Might Have Ate
    8. Amy
    9. The Forgotten
    10. See the Light
    11. Oh Love

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

See the Light is such an underrated song

Also you forgot The Judge's Daughter in closers

Jose likes this.
  9. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Nuclear Family is one of their best openers imo

10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I agree! honestly, I don't know how I feel about Somewhere Now, I'm not getting the feeling a lot of people seem to have. Only on my second listen of the album. But I would put Nuclear Family above Somewhere Now honestly. I loved that opener.

11. Craig Manning

Seriously love this album. Did not expect to enjoy it so much.

12. Fox83

Trusted

I was lukewarm on Bang Bang, but it has grown on me a bit after giving the full album a few spins. It provides a much-needed urgency early in the album. I still don't know how I feel it works in the context of the album as a whole, but in terms of tone and tempo, I appreciate it more now.

House Of Wolves likes this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Blinks Untitled is better than anything Green Days done imo, and this is from someone who loves American Idiot. But I dislike the rest of both bands discography.

I wanted to like this album but it's hard to listen to imo. Glad y'all like it though!

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Gotta disagree there, Id say there are four or five Green Day albums better than anything Blink has made

15. marineal

Midway through my First listen. I'm loving this so much more than Blink 182 new album, and obviously more than uno, dos, tres. I'm just glad we live in a world with new Green Day Music.

16. Craig Manning

I would say this too. Which isn't really a slight against those blink albums. Once again, I think Billie Joe is just a better songwriter.

17. Neon Light

rage and love

Great! Will you do a review?

Yeah I wasn't really sure what do do with closers for the EPs so I just left it out. I don't think any of them really try to be cohesive pieces of work in any way so it doesn't really matter. For some reason See the Light has just never connected with me. It works as a closer but I wouldn't listen to it on its own, which is not something I can say for the others.

Yeah I love it too. Doing that list made me realise how incredibly solid all their openers are. Even See You Tonight was one of the better songs on Dos.

18. Craig Manning

Yep, been planning on that for awhile.

House Of Wolves and clockwise like this.
  19. KimmyGibbler

Backed. I love Blink, but Green Day has always had a bit more to offer in terms of songwriting talent and shelf life. I still go back to their old albums like they were released yesterday.

FTank likes this.
  20. Fox83

Trusted

I know we wouldn't count compilation albums or whatever, but this just reminded me that I love Suffocate as an opener.

21. shibbee

Regular

Say Goodbye is fantastic.

22. This is way better than the trilogy, but at times it sounds like it was recorded in the sewer.

Fox83 and Craig Manning like this.
  23. Craig Manning

The production team:

[​IMG]

24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I think this will be a transitional album in the scheme of things. A good album, to get them back on track after the trilogy disaster

25. Craig Manning

They also had a lot of personal shit go down since releasing the trilogy, so it's kind of a new start from all angles. The Rolling Stone cover story on them is great and really puts this album in perspective. I think that might be part of the reason I'm enjoying it so much.

Jose likes this.