Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Revolution Radio (October 7, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Youngblood reminds me too much of Last of the American Girls for whatever reason. But man, do I still love this band!

2. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I really like Too Dumb to Die, that's my favorite song on here right now

3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Not to start anything, but I know it will come up eventually...I think I will end up liking this a lot more than California.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Really disappointed this leaked so early, was really hoping that wouldn't happen. I've never listened to a leak and don't plan on starting now, though this one will be hard to resist.

The mixed reaction is actually only making me more excited though

Turkeylegz likes this.
  5. Turkeylegz

Trusted

By the second time through it really starts to shine. You'll love it. The songs are far more substantial than anything off of the trilogy. I can't wait to blast this in my car!

tdlyon likes this.
  6. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

My expectations couldn't be much lower so hoping to enjoy this. Green Day will always be my favourite band. American Idiot was my first favourite album and is probably still my number one even though I know full well my runner up Abbey Road is far better.
    Bang Bang and the title track really didn't do much for me, although Still Breathing is decent. Liked maybe 10 songs from the trilogy.
    Glad to see some positive response so far!

Turkeylegz likes this.
  7. razorburn

Trusted

The sequencing is a mess on this.

8. Fox83

Trusted

Youngblood reminds me of New Found Glory's Vicious Love. The main riff in Vicious Love sounds a lot like the chorus of YB.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This is bad

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Like this a lot so far, but I think I'm going to have to tweak the order. The flow is pretty bad.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  11. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I am about halfway through it. Hot take so far is that it's Green Day being Green Day. But, you know, for a band that's been around as long as they have what else are they really gonna do at this point. I would probably say it's the best thing they have put out since AI even just half way through the album.

And if I wanted to compare guys in their 40s making pop punk records I would probably put this above California.

Contender and Turkeylegz like this.
  12. tacobelle

Once I give this a listen, what order should I listen to the tracks in?

I've been hearing that many people have been having troubles with the way the tracklisting presents the songs and I wouldn't mind tinkering the order before I sit down with this record.

13. Craig Manning

I immediately like it better that California.

Not sure yet. I've only just gone through it once. I think you should listen to it in the intended order to start and make up your mind on the sequencing. I'll probably post my version of the tracklist in here sometime this week.

14. KimmyGibbler

Honestly, California didn't have much of a shelf life for me. I think I listened to it twice. I have a feeling I will be going back to a handful of songs on RR for a while.

15. Fox83

Trusted

I don't see any reason to change it on first listen. Check it out as the band intended then decide what you'd want I guess.

16. Neon Light

rage and love

I'm pretty happy with the sequencing.

17. Craig Manning

California was a fun disposable summer album, but yeah, I didn't listen to it much. I liked the hooks, but it really felt lackluster lyrically to me.

18. KimmyGibbler

That's pretty much how I felt about it.

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. I think Billie is a better songwriter today than Mark and Tom were at any point in their careers.

Aaron Mook and kyle like this.
  20. Craig Manning

I think Billie has always been a better songwriter.

Aaron Mook, Steeeve Perry and ECV like this.
  21. Agreed, always liked Green Day more than Blink. Not much of the Blink stuff holds up to me today, but I can still go back to AI, Dookie, Warning, etc and find something to love.

22. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I prefer Green Day's career easily to Blink's, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up liking California more than RR.

23. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I really enjoy this, expectations were low, but this is pretty good. Even more bummed that their show in Detroit is postponed and there isn't a make-up date yet.

But yeah, California had no staying power for me at all. We'll see how this holds up. But Green Day has always been better than Blink IMO

24. motifsinthecity

I think it's a transitional record--flawed but overall a very fun listen. While the trilogy was a non-stop party, it's clear that this record has a lot more thought put into it.

It's far from perfect though, and the band still doesn't know how to follow up the voice they found on American Idiot. I appreciate the more direct songs here, but it's clear that Billie Joe is chasing the nostalgia of his East Bay youth instead of pushing his writing forward. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not always interesting coming from a band that used to have a very unique perspective/sense of humor. I can see myself coming back to this quite a bit because there are some very strong songs here (Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Outlaws, Still Breathing, Forever Now), but I wish they would have ditched some of the power pop leanings and continued to explore the mindset/sonics of Bang Bang (really the most overtly political song here). The band is at their best when they are trying to sound like the Ramones, not the Who.

If you liked the less elaborate songs on 21CB you'll probably like this but don't expect a Dookie or a nimrod.

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

How are you guy listening to this? Did it leak already?