Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Grab Third Number One Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Green Day earn their third number one album as Revolution Radio tops the charts this week.

Green Day rocks the No. 1 slot on the Billboard 200 with its third chart-topping album, Revolution Radio. The band’s 12th studio effort enters atop the list with 95,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Oct. 13, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 90,000 were in traditional album sales.

2. suppyguppy

Regular

2016 and both Green Day and Blink 182 have had number one albums. Wouldn't have expected that.

3. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Surprisingly how much worse this sold than the blink album, which I believe did 185,000. Is blink the bigger band at this point? Could also be because of the extended delay between releases

4. ManBearPuig

I'd attribute it to the drama surrounding the band and it being billed as a return to form album but that's just my take.

FTank, Carmensaopaulo and Davjs like this.
  5. dzyjay

Regular

I could be wrong but I think green day has more casual fans while blink fans are more die hard.

6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

What's crazy to me is how tiny the gap between traditional and equivalent album sales this has

7. aniafc

Trusted

The drama probably helped, the "return to form," huge tour announcement, etc. all probably played a role in this.

Also, I don't think either of them are bigger, I think they're probably in the same spot of popularity.

8. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Plus, I think Bored to Death was a much bigger single than Bang Bang ended up being. I have no numbers to back that up, but I heard Bored to Death on the radio a bunch leading up to the album release.

Schooner likes this.
  9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Could be that California is the better record, although I did enjoy Revolution Radio more than I thought I would.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Revolution Radio is easily the band's best album since American Idiot, so this was definitely a well-deserved honor. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Hopefully this means the band has more strong releases up their sleeves than it seemed.

Turkeylegz and StoJa9 like this.
  11. Hazelnutsack

Irregular

imagine they made stuff as good as dookie quality wise still

12. StoJa9

Regular

People are missing the obvious with Blink outselling Green Day - they had a NEW member, and Skiba came from an established band with a large fan-base, and people wanted to hear the new sound. I think it's really as simple as that.

FTank and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  13. StoJa9

Regular

Imagine if they put out 3-4 albums that were BETTER than Dookie. Which, they have.

Davjs likes this.
  14. ZeoVGM

Regular

The nostalgia is strong with this one.

15. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I think Blink is bigger in North America. Green Day is bigger worldwide.

16. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Interesting. My take would be the opposite. My friends who are casual blink fans seemed more disinterested in the band as a result of Tom leaving. None of them know who Alkaline Trio are. Most of them haven't even heard of Neighborhoods. My guess is that casual fans haven't heard this much buzz about blink in 10+ years so there's likely some excitement there whereas Green Day was pretty much everywhere from a marketing perspective when the trilogy came just 3 years ago.

17. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe 1.

18. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I know more people that consider themselves blink fans than Green Day fans, blink also had a lot of promotion though.

19. Schooner

Trusted

Pop/punk ressurgance power rankings 2016

1. Good Charlotte
    2. Sum 41
    3. Green day
    4. blink-182

I'd maybe put in Jimmy eat world in but not sure if they're in the genre and from what I hear it'll be the best of this 4 great albums (plus did they ever really resurge? Always amazing)

Also heard descendants was good but not yet to hear

JRGComedy likes this.
  20. pbueddi

Trusted

i might give the edge to blink over green day, but agree otherwise. you could also throw simple plan in there, even though they would be towards the bottom. i enjoyed the new album for what it was though.

21. Schooner

Trusted

Yeah I prob enjoyed blinks more but I was more shocked how improved green days was after the poo of the trilogy albums

Simple Plan had some good songs on it. Although I really really liked that album with jetlag etc on it

pbueddi likes this.
  22. aniafc

Trusted

Also, where did B&C land?

23. StoJa9

Regular

That's so stupid. People overrate every album that puts any band in the mainstream spotlight and Dookie is no exception. It's three cords for 12 songs. They've evolved their writing and sound so much since then. The jump alone from Dookie to Insomniac is noticeable.

24. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Just because something is less complex doesn't make it weaker.

Jake Z and Schooner like this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Really happy they did this.

Also, another thing that may have contributed to Blink selling more is they started promoting the album WAY before Green Day did. GD didn't really start the promotion at all until the week of release, while Blink was doing stuff all summer leading up to it. Green Day might be going for more of a slow burn but steady numbers instead of a huge debut but massive dropoff the next week like Blink