Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Revolution Radio is dope

Somewhere Now, Bang Bang, the title track, Say Goodbye, Still Breathing, Outlaws and Forever Now are all great

2. Lenin

Regular

I really like this song and it has me interested in their new album. And this is coming from someone who hasn’t really cared about this band since 21st Century Breakdown.

beachdude likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still like Revolution Radio. Not as much as I did when it came out, but there are a lot of good songs on there. I'm a big fan of "Outlaws" and "Too Dumb to Die," which don't get talked about as much. "Still Breathing" and "Forever Now" are some of their best songs period. Biggest problem with it is that the production is really flat and muddled.

4. New song is decent and I’ll give the album a spin but, like their last 5 albums, I have a feeling I won’t revisit it.

5. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Might have been posted elsewhere -- but Green Day and the NHL are teaming up.

AP --

beachdude and Craig Manning like this.
  6. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I'm actually pretty on board with this idea. let's get foo fighters next year haha

beachdude and thedrudo like this.
  7. tomtom94

Trusted

Lol can you imagine the execs hoping the song isn't wack

8. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I wish I cared about hockey. It would be rad knowing I would be heading lots of Green Day.

9. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Disappointed they couldn’t get Rob Cavallo to produce on that one. That dude makes records sound perfect

Albert Koepke likes this.
  10. Craig Manning

I think if he had produced it, that record would have been another classic.

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Rob Cavallo produced the trilogy and then they decided to work on their own with RevRad and it was 10x better lol

333 GANG likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

Except it sounds like shit? The songs are good, but it’s super hampered by bad mixing and production choices. There are so many times on that record where it goes from really quiet to just blazingly loud instantaneously, in a way that makes it hard to listen without adjusting the volume multiple times per song.

Trilogy sounds a lot better than RevRad, the songs just are not, for the most part, very good.

13. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I like Rev Rad’s production, sounds like they did it themselves

danielm123 likes this.
  14. tomdelonge

Trusted

15. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I know they self produced. I meant that you can tell.

tomdelonge likes this.
  16. tomtom94

Trusted

I assume they mean the songwriting, which is also within the producer's realmml.

17. Craig Manning

I mean, sometimes. Depends on the producer how much they actually play a role in shaping the songs.

18. tomdelonge

Trusted

I'm sure it varies from artist to artist, but Roger from LTJ has talked about their experience working with Rob:

Less Than Jake rank their albums, from worst to best | Louder

19. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Chris Dugan has been quite active in the punk scene (particularly for Bay Area bands), and I think his track record is pretty damn good myself (Nothington and Swingin Utters, for example). Then again, I'm not in the boat that RevRad sounds that bad. Point is, might be more about how the band likes things to sound -- there are certainly similar production moments of "excessive loudness" on 21stCB, too ("Horseshoes & Hand Grenades" in particular).

beachdude and tomdelonge like this.
  20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"excessive loudness" is a byproduct of mastering not production

21. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Fair enough -- my point still stands: BJ likes that giant wall of sound, and you can hear that aspect on their records released this century so far. Mastering might emphasize that, but listen to "H&HG" and you hear that giant wave of guitars kick in on the chorus, which is what I was initially referencing.

beachdude and unbornwhiskey like this.
  22. tomdelonge

Trusted

"excessive loudness" is a byproduct of excess loudness, mastering or production. Very often mastering, but not always.

I think the murkier/claustrophobic sound of RevRadio prolly has a lot to do with recording at OTIS. It's not a very large space, as you can see in this video:

Take A Video Tour Of Green Day’s Recording Studio — Kerrang!

23. tomdelonge

Trusted

Also Chris Dugan rules! Lots of cool records, I'm a big fan of this one:

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  24. 333 GANG

ACAB

I’ve never taken issue with the production on Revolution Radio. Record sounds just fine to my ears.

The Lucky Moose and danielm123 like this.
  25. danielm123

Trusted

Same. I actually much prefer the production in comparison to a lot the trilogy. Certainly prefer it over Uno's production.

333 GANG likes this.