Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

American Idiot felt like way more effort was put into it than Know Your Enemy.

2. Lenin

Regular

Wait... why does a Green Day song need to be complex?

beachdude, 333 GANG, Oddjob and 2 others like this.
  3. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Yeah, I don't get that either. I've never really gone to Green Day for "complex songs".

beachdude, 333 GANG and Oddjob like this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I remember when "American Idiot" dropped as a single and how fucking psyched I was for that record. Incredible lead single.

5. Mort Michaels

I wasn’t comparing complexity- I was just saying that the disparity in quality between the two songs is obvious. I really just don’t like KYE. American Idiot is one of the best lead singles I have heard.

Oddjob likes this.
  6. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

KYE didn’t hit me until somewhat recently. I like it a good bit now. But that took like 10 years haha

EzeRojo likes this.
  7. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

KYE is fine. It’s an enjoyable song. I don’t hold its simplicity against it, given that I like even simpler Green Day songs more lol. I just rarely would listen to it by itself without just listening to the album in full

beachdude likes this.
  8. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Anyway I’m relistening to this record and Christian’s Inferno was definitely a leftover Network song lol

beachdude likes this.
  9. Mort Michaels

I know most cite Nimrod as one of their best- and I’m saying this as being a massive fan from the time I was 10- Nimrod is so much more bloated than 21CB. Nimrod’s highs- Scattered, Nice Guys Finish Last, Redundant, Hitchin’ a Ride, Haushinka, King For a Day, Prosthetic Head, Good Riddance are all fantastic- but the rest I never come back to.

10. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Lol the acronym for this album is really FOAM

beachdude and Carrow like this.
  11. tomdelonge

Trusted

It’s not living (if it’s not with Jinx)

(And Uptight and All The Time and The Grouch and Platypus and Reject and ummm WORRY ROCK???? and Last Ride In is so groovy and Let’s Go away for A While”)

12. ZeoVGM

Regular

I remember the first time I heard it too. Being a dumb high school kid, my friends and I were hanging out outside a Walmart and one of them, for whatever reason, had a radio with him. It came on and I heard it for the first time there, outside of a Walmart. Immediately knew, "This is going to be fucking massive."

beachdude and Craig Manning like this.
  13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I remember my first thought be "They're back." I hadn't followed them a ton since the 90s, so I wasn't that familiar with Warning. Just knew it hadn't been as successful as their earlier stuff. But yeah, I knew "American Idiot" was going to be something special.

beachdude, ZeoVGM and Steeeve Perry like this.
  14. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

First time I heard “American Idiot,” I was excited that people were finally hearing a Dillinger Four song. O:-)

Anthony_ likes this.
  15. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I remember being really proud of my theory that Green Day was going to follow up AI and 21CB in a similar fashion that The Who followed up Tommy with Who’s Next and it would be a more straightforward record but also one of their biggest... then we got the trilogy

16. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Man revolution radio was so forgettable I literally forgot it existed until I just went and looked at their Spotify

EzeRojo likes this.
  17. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

When the American Idiot single dropped I was obsessed with International Superhits but my music knowledge was really limited, in fact my family had only just gotten the internet and I would never have thought to look up a band I like for more information. So I figured if the band had a greatest hits compilation, they must have been finished. I remember seeing that iconic video clip on the tiny TV in my room and I didn't even realise it was Green Day at first. I hadn't seen them a whole lot, apart from some Australian concert footage my friend had showed me from when Billie was blonde. But I knew it sounded like Green Day. The vocals had that effect on them so I just couldn't be certain it was Billie Joe singing. But the song was so freaking good and the film clip was too. And whatever TV program I was watching finally placed the band name and song title over the clip right near the end and it confirmed to me that indeed Green Day was still around, and just as good as ever. For a few weeks American Idiot became my favourite song and I just wanted all my friends to hear it. Then it launched this band that I loved but had little idea about from being essentially retired in my mind, to being the biggest band in the world. I still own like four or five copies of the album (apparently when you tell every person you know about how excited you are for it, they all buy you copies for your birthday or Christmas or whatever it was). It is still one of my favourite albums of all time. And soon after it came out a Green Day show was my first concert (Simple Plan opened and I was in the seats with my dad and brother because I didn't exactly know what a mosh pit was but however I tried to describe it to my mum must have made it sound too scary). There is no way I'd be so into music today if not for that song.

beachdude likes this.
  18. Gallhammer

Angry Lesbian / Music Lover

Revolution Radio is fantastic. Bang Bang was an amazing first single.

19. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Revolution Radio kinda reminds me of Anti-Flag, especially at the start. Still Breathing and Forever Now are great, the rest is just okay.

20. JM95

Trusted

Revolution Radio is fucking awful apart from maybe the title track and Bang Bang.

This new single is terrible too. What happened to this band?

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I think Know Your Enemy is fine but it shouldn't be in the setlist anymore

If they want to represent 21stCBD live play Viva La Gloria or Murder City

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Also this sounds great live

beachdude and Gallhammer like this.
  23. tomtom94

Trusted

I have never understood why Murder City became a setlist staple

It's a fine song but come on

24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I absolutely love that song lol

beachdude and Greg like this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i think "still breathing" is also great but these are basically the only three songs i remember from the record, which i listened to a lot

danielm123 likes this.