Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Billie's voice sounds fuckin great on 21st Century Breakdown

Do more piano ballads !!!!

EzeRojo and unbornwhiskey like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the only time I saw them was with Sugarcult and New Found Glory lol

Aregala likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

21st Century Breakdown came out like two weeks before I graduated from high school. Brings back some very fond memories. The title track was always my favorite, but there are a bunch of great songs on there. I am especially fond of the middle third of that record (the Charlatans & Saints section, I believe is what they called it).

4. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

That one came out the same time for me - only college. That's always what I associate that one with.

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

That album came out the year my daughter was born. I had fallen off of listening to them and didn't listen to it and still haven't

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

At least Know Your Enemy isn't their worst lead single anymore

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

“know your enemy” is def way better than “oh love”

beachdude, bachna84, Joe4th and 2 others like this.
  8. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I considered that and I've always hated how long it is but it's at least a little more creative. Know Your Enemy is like the easiest song they ever wrote

9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

yeah that doesn’t mean it’s bad

10. 333 GANG

ACAB

It isn’t good though

Michael Qualiano and ChaseTx like this.
  11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Age wise:
    American Idiot came out when I was 14. It was the album that blew my mind and made me a music lover.
    21st Century Breakdown came out when I was 19. I would drive around and sing along with every word.
    That explains why American Idiot is The One for me but looking at each objectively I just think I'd put seven or eight AI songs ahead of anything from 21CBD.

Onto the next debate, I can't stand Know Your Enemy. Music videos were still a thing in Australia when Know Your Enemy debuted and I waited in front of the TV for ages until it came on. That song seemed so uninspired and forgettable it immediately tempered my expectations for the album, which is the exact opposite of what a lead single should do and is also exactly what Oh Love and Father of All have done for me too. Bang Bang less so but it didn't exactly get me excited.

I consider the run from Dookie through AI absolutely perfect. International Superhits is probably my most played album of all time. Green Day is probably (still) the best live band on the planet, at least in the stadium division. I'm happy with that and anything else they do that I can find some enjoyment in will be a bonus.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Oh Love >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Know Your Enemy

13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Last four albums are their weakest, but still enjoyable. 21CB is a good record despite being bloated, I’ll skip around on it but most of it is solid

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh Love is super underrated to me

15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

definitely one of the better tracks on the trilogy

16. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still absolutely love 21st Century, I also have a lot of nostalgia for it because I saw them on that tour for the first time and it basically blew my 14-year old mind

I know it's not a popular opinion but that album has 18 tracks and there isn't one I could think to cut

17. Gallhammer

Angry Lesbian / Music Lover

Just finished listening to 21stCB in full for the first time in months and I love it just as much as the day it came out. To this day it still feels so fresh, so full, and so complete. They went bigger and more bold for this album and I genuinely believe it absolute worked out in their favor.

On a different note, I've listened to FOAM a ridiculous amount of times since it was released and I'm genuinely very excited for the album. I know this is a pretty controversial and somewhat unpopular opinion, but I love the vocal . I love the lyrics. I love the sound. I love the song. It's both so different yet feels like a lot of the more garage rock stuff like FBHT and The Longshot with a relatively fresh take on the Green Day sound. Feel free to disagree (not being sarcastic, just expressing my love for the song and anyone that disagrees is every bit as valid as me, is no less of a real fan than myself, etc.)

[Side note, despite living in the US for such a long time already, I'm still trying to improve my English. Don't be too harsh on my spelling/grammar]

beachdude, tomdelonge, FTank and 4 others like this.
  18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Totally agree with all of this. Also, your English is literally flawless

beachdude and Gallhammer like this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Oh Love" is so much worse than "Know Your Enemy" (or this new song, which I like better than both). There is nothing interesting about it, and it just plods along and repeats for five minutes for absolutely no reason. The only positive thing about it is that it was the first taste of the trilogy and it dampened my expectations to such a degree that I wasn't really surprised when Uno was largely boring.

20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

“Stay the Night” shoulda been the first single

333 GANG and tomdelonge like this.
  21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

craig is so fuckin right

beachdude, Aregala and Craig Manning like this.
  22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"repetitiveness" is not an inherently bad musical quality btw

Slangster likes this.
  23. Oh Love is worse than Know Your Enemy but only because it’s so long and slow. Cut that song in half and it’d be one of the best songs on the trilogy.

(Also cut the trilogy in half, or more)

beachdude and slimfenix182 like this.
  24. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I don’t know which is the better song, but I hate KYE so so so much. For a band that wrote Jesus of Suburbia- KYE is so lazy. Not that Oh Love is even a good song, but I think I like it better.

25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i find it weird to hold its lack of complexity against it. like, it's not "jesus of suburbia" but you get that kind of stuff on the record anyway with "21st century breakdown." the lead single from american idiot was the title track after all

beachdude and FTank like this.