Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. 333 GANG

ACAB

Echoing what others have said, that description of the record is big yikes. Major cringe.

2. 333 GANG

ACAB

If it’s a joke, it certainly isn’t a funny one.

Ken, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Anthony_ like this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I still can't believe this tour is playing the Whiskey tonight

bradsonemanband and Kelsey like this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I actually really like this song, I think it’s a cool change of pace for them and I’m glad they’re taking more risks this time around.

Out of the three singles, I like Weezer’s the most (and probably more than all of Black Album tbh), followed by Green Day and then FOB. But I honestly enjoy all three a lot... today's a good day lol

5. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

The instagram post is most certainly a joke. It's not funny because, well, Green Day has never really been funny. King for a Day is not funny. Dominated Love Slave is not funny. And this post is completely their sense of humor. It sounds like the type of stage banter they've done through their entire career.

asure1460 and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  6. 333 GANG

ACAB

The one thing I’ll say is, if I just heard this song on the radio with no knowledge of who it is, I’d never in a million years guess it was Green Day.

7. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

That sums up my thoughts exactly.

beachdude and 333 GANG like this.
  8. I think a good rule of thumb is when even your fanbase can't tell if you're 'joking' or not maybe don't make the 'joke.'

slimfenix182, ECV, beachdude and 9 others like this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Yeah talking about making music with your dick in 2019 is extremely not it chief

ECV, ArmsLikeTeeth, Carrow and 2 others like this.
  10. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

I've been a fan for a long time, and I read it as a joke. But, you make a good point. I believe you and I are around the same age, so it's telling if you couldn't see it as a joke.

11. mattfreaksmeout Sep 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 10, 2019)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I do read it as a joke based on them saying "the Green Day", "Frauds I tell ya!!", and just the nonsensical nature of all of it. But it only works if this is all misdirection and then the actual album provides a commentary on that kind of jock rock thinking/misogyny in rock and actually gets into what it means to be an aging rock band in this time. I kind of doubt that's the case which just makes it pretty dumb.

But taking all that out of it, I do think the new song is fun and I'm excited to hear the rest. I also agree it's nice to hear something a little different from them. I'm interested to see where this album goes.

12. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

Yeah, it just has a total carnival barker tone to it. "Nothing says fuck you like a unicorn" kind of sets the tone of the post. Again, completely not funny.

13. raaaaaaaady

Regular Supporter

It would be super interesting if they actually made a commentary like that. It's not lost on me how strange it is that three of my favorite bands growing up (Weezer, Blink, Green Day) all released their most mature albums over or close to 20 years ago. Pinkerton, Self-Titled, and Warning are relics in comparison to their modern output. That said, if the bands are enjoying what they're doing and the fans dig it, then the joke is on me, I suppose.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I think with Green Day they just don't know how to top AI in terms of making a political statement. Anything they try will just automatically get compared to that album, so it's probably easier to just lean into fun rock. Which is fine until they attach all this gimmicky stuff with it.

Weezer is Weezer. And I still think blink can pull off another great one as their chemistry with Matt develops. I think Nine could end up my favorite since S/T.

15. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Well this is just completely uncalled for.

raaaaaaaady likes this.
  16. Damn this SLAPS

Did not expect to like a Green Day song this much in 2019.

beachdude and tomdelonge like this.
  17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This song is so The Rise and Fall of Butch Walker and the Let's-Go-Out-Tonites! which is totally not the direction I expected them to go together, but is something I am absolutely here for.

beachdude likes this.
  18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I guess it rocks too hard to sound like The Black Keys to me?

I hear the influence, but to me it doesn't sound like a pastiche

FTank and beachdude like this.
  19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, been a long time since the Black Keys went this hard.

Nick Jagger, beachdude and JRGComedy like this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

What the fuck is this

21. danielm123

Trusted

So much of this is super cringy so far and the song really sounds nothing like GD, but I think it might be the most I've enjoyed a song of theirs in like 10 years, so...

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This sounds like it should be the new Weezer song

ECV and Allhailburnzy like this.
  23. Aka his worst album. :-p

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

What's weird to me is the term "cringe" being used in here... 3 times now? We haven't gotten past that word in 2019 yet?

tdlyon, FTank and xapplexpiex like this.
  25. It’s a pretty apt description of my reaction to that embarrassment of a Instagram post.

ItsAndrew, AFoolsGlory, Ken and 3 others like this.