Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 38

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

The only acceptable hot take in regards to Dookie is that Insomniac is a better album, nothing before it

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Dookie is the only essential pop punk album

3. 333 GANG

ACAB

This was a bad take on a bad take on a bad record (x3)

4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I love all the chaos this bands discography and new album is causing.

ItsAndrew and 333 GANG like this.
  5. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I'm definitely happy people are talking about it!

6. Estimates have it at around 50k first week sales. Lower than I expected based on the single being pretty popular.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Damn that is low for them!

8. tomdelonge

Trusted

Punk is dead

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I know they are playing baseball stadiums on the upcoming tour but I just feel like Green Day aren’t that popular these days, which explains the low album sales. I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say punk is dead, rather I’d say Green Day are the ones “dead”, if we are to use that phrase.

10. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

It's because the album is pure rock and featured no swedish songwriters. Low sales is pretty punk rock tbh

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

How did this chart?

12. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

I wouldn’t call them dead, I think it’s more like “past their relevancy” and are now punk-Dad rock.

Dookie was released 26 years ago. In 1994, that would have been the equivalent of an album released in 1968. IE - the kids who “discovered” Green Day at their prime, are likely nearing the age that their parents were when Dookie was released. For reference - my dad was 37 when Dookie came out, and I’m now 32.

Here’s a fun one: Green Day is our Rolling Stones. Rolling Stones hit their peak in the 60s, like Green Day in the 90s. Had a resurgence in the late 70’s with a huge hit (Some Girls) like Green Day in the mid-2000s (American Idiot), and then tweaked their sound in the 80s to keep up with the mainstream (Undercover & Dirty Work, both commercial failures) like Green Day with Revolution Radio & Father of All...

Actually Father Of All... reminds me A LOT of Rolling Stones Dirty Work when compared to the overall discography.

On the bright side, after those two releases, the Rolling Stones put out two return-to-form hits in Steel Wheels and VooDoo Lounge, so there is always hope.

tdlyon likes this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Dookie came out two years before I was even born lol, American Idiot was the first album I ever bought with my own money and they've basically been my favorite band since I was 8

irthesteve likes this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

Pretty sure AI was their actual peak if you account for the situation the music industry was in at that point.

Anyway, people are exaggerating again. They're still a huge rock band, it's just that rock isn't all that huge anymore.

ECV likes this.
  15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah rock as a genre has gone way down in popularity but they're still probably a top five most popular contemporary rock band, maybe even top three

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  16. Rob Hughes

Play the Yakuza series

Nimrod underrated btw

SamLevi11 likes this.
  17. I agree with this but I also think their popularity has diminished substantially over the past decade, independently of where rock is. They haven’t had a transcendent hit since 21 Guns, which was 5 albums ago.

18. The Lucky Moose

This is true but transcendent hits have become rarer, especially rock hits. Also, all the way over here I hear at least one of the singles of this albums pretty frequently on mainstream radio.

ECV likes this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Green Day is nowhere near as popular as they used to be.

Green Day is still very popular.

Both can be true.

ECV, 333 GANG and The Lucky Moose like this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

Right, my point is that the former probably mostly isn't their fault, but a reflection of the current state of popular music.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That’s pretty normal for legacy acts - the albums keep coming, the hits are fewer and far between, but the ticket sales are still pretty big.

22. The Lucky Moose

Right they're now Bon Jovi or U2

Zilla likes this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

So I finally listened to this. Honest question, and no offense to those who liked it - were there any reports of writer's block during the making of this album? It feels like a writer's block album.

It's amazing to me that after a 3.5 year break since the last album, these are the best songs they could come up with. It sounds like it was written in a week.

I like the Longshot album more than this. I like the Trilogy SIGNIFICANTLY more than this.

24. tomdelonge

Trusted

I like it BECAUSE it sounds like it was written in a week

im sure there will be another big statement record from them down the road and that’ll prolly be cool too, it all really aint a biggie

FTank likes this.
  25. AlwaysEvolving21 Feb 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 17, 2020)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ready for a Garage rock opera album. Or just another rock opera with saxophone throughout.