Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day - Father of all Motherfuckers (February 7, 2020) Album • Page 34

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Sep 10, 2019.

1. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Insomniac is also fantastic but otherwise, yeah.

2. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I’ve never rated Dookie as highly as others have.

3. Fox83

Trusted

I could sort of accept this take if it doesn't take them over three years to deliver an album.

FTank likes this.
  4. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

and they spent like 6 months promoting it, and it leading to a massive tour....

5. Maddy

Regular

You must not be an 80s baby/90s teen

EDIT: Not saying there is anything wrong with your opinoin...just that I do think any Green Day fan that is over the age of 30 will say Dookie is either their best album or top 2 with AI

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Same

Daniel182 likes this.
  7. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Idiot will always be their best album but I think Kerplunk and Insomniac are far superior to Dookie.

8. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Insomniac is by far my favorite album of theirs. I dont understand the abundant love for Warning. It's a nice album, but doesn't rank up their with their early stuff...and i definitely rank AmericanIdiot and Revoluion Radio ahead of it.

9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i'm revisiting the trilogy today. could probably make a good ep out of these records. uno starts off well but then gets alternately mediocre and embarrassing (cf. "kill the dj). "lazy bones"/"wild one"/"stray heart" are a few really good songs stranded in the trash heap of dos. not sure why these records sound so godawful

FTank and Aregala like this.
  10. tomdelonge

Trusted

I love Warning but I gotta reluctantly agree it's a notch below their strongest records.

Warning, Waiting, and Minority = A+ Green Day (especially Warning :heart:)

and I don't think there's any clunkers in the bunch, but there's a lotta middling material:

Church On Sunday, Castaway, Deadbeat Holiday, Hold On, sometimes for me even Macy's Day Parade...I like 'em all but they're kinda slight and a little thin on the meaty good lyrics BJA can come up with.

I love the low key "rootsy" vibe but to my ears Nimrod hits all the same marks a lot better.

11. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

cool list of the best green day songs

12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Macy's Day Parade might be an all-time favorite song of mine :teethsmile:

slimfenix182 and ncarrab like this.
  13. domotime2

i think it's a nice album for the catalogue. In a way, it's like how i feel about Green Day's Coming Home. I'm happy it exists, but dont consider it a top album.

plus i think macys day parade is one of green days worst songs

quietwords and tomdelonge like this.
  14. abw123

Trusted

Warning is top tier Green Day for me.

I haven't listened to the new one yet because I'm scared I'm going to hate it. I'll get to it soon.

15. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Probably just lots of sentimental attachment, but Green Day is one of those bands that sends me down a binge of their catalog whenever they come out with new stuff

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

the guitar tones are so so bad

"Stay the Night" could be one of their better power-pop songs with better production

17. tomdelonge Feb 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2020)
    tomdelonge

Trusted

I very much agree about the Coming Home analogy, another record with 4 or 5 A+ tunes and a whole lotta filler for me. But people love it so I trust someday I'll see the light.

I also gotta agree about Macy's Day Parade. I know a lotta folks love it and I hope it clicks someday too, but I think the melody is pretty lifeless, the rhythm is stiff and the lyrics are kinda maudlin and wandering.

18. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

y'all are so wrong about "macy's day parade" i can't even deal with it

SamLevi11, Aaron Mook and Joe4th like this.
  19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

agreed!

i think my favorite song on the trilogy is "amanda." not sure anyone here will agree with me but i've always thought tré was the best of the three records. it's not like an embarrassment of great songs or anything but it has way less of the obnoxious garbage dragging the other two down

Rob Hughes and Aregala like this.
  20. domotime2

You're very generous haha. I just find the song boring repetitive and kinda lame. Lifeless is a good word.

Give me ordinary world, time of your life... even Amy from trilogy album as Michel better soft green day songs.

Or FOD if that counts

21. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I honestly need to give ¡Tré! another go because when it came out I never really listened to it much after being so burned by the previous two records

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i mean it's hard for me to hear the good songs on it right this very second bc i'm currently exhausted from uno and dos. but i'm not actively angry at what's happening

Aregala likes this.
  23. tomdelonge

Trusted

I do like all those songs, but I think they're on the weaker side of the record.

Deadbeat Holiday in particular, I dig the tune but the lyrics don't get me there.

Philosophy's a liar when your home is your headstone
    "Icon" is the last chance for hope
    When there's no such thing as heroes
    Your faith lies in the ditch that you dug yourself in

For me, this is creative writing 101. It's coherent but I just can't hang. And Billie Joe is one of my favorite writers. I particularly love how he uses familiar phrases and cliches in affecting ways, which is present in Deadbeat Holiday ("last chance to piss it all away, nothing but hell to pay, when the lights are going down") but I dunno, it doesn't click for me like "cold turkey's getting stale tonight i'm eating crow", "i'm counting sheep but running out", "my own worst friend and my own closest enemy", "went full circle till i'm nauseous", "i woke up on the wrong side of the floor" etc.

It's like dumb punnery, but BJA fills those dumb jokes with raw emotion that really clicks for me.

For a non-green day example, I love how the Blue Nile turns the familiar cliche of "the downtown lights" upside down into a very lonesome, solitary image.

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

imo billie joe armstrong is not a good lyricist. at all. throughout the entire green day discography. this is ok

SamLevi11 and Aregala like this.
  25. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

but i really enjoyed reading your explanation regardless!

tomdelonge likes this.