Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Green Day Announce Surprise Show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

Vaxxed only show. The Twitter comments are scary… although predictable. What a time to be alive!

Brent likes this.
  3. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Some genuinely offensive apartheid/Nazi takes bubbling up there. Yeesh.

Brent likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

There are a lot of stupid fucking people in the world, and apparently a bunch of them are Green Day fans.

beachdude, Brent, Murph and 1 other person like this.
  5. heymattrick

Sending my love

To be fair these are probably the same Green Day fans that got upset when BJA led anti-Trump chants on the Rev Rad tour and told Green Day to “stop being political”

beachdude and Craig Manning like this.
  6. Craig Manning

How did these people make it through the American Idiot era as fans?

beachdude, theasteriskera and Brent like this.
  7. BradBradley

Regular

They’re, ahem, American idiots?

8. heymattrick

Sending my love

Oh man, so tempted to look at that setlist but I want everything on Saturday to be as much of a surprise as possible. Thanks for those spoiler tags!

9. rbf737

Regular

Ha excellent question.

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

The mid-00's emo/punk scene (which I know Green Day wasn't fully a part of but still adjacent to) was fascinating in this regard. Outside of a few bands, the majority of that scene was essentially targeted to white suburban teen relationship/angsts so much so that when bands dare challenge a portion of that audience even in the slightest there was a mini-backlash. "I hate it when bands get political" was a common phrase heard during the time and what that really meant was "I hate it when bands sing about topics that I don't directly relate to and challenge my existence by reminding me of my suburban privilege."

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

I know this trend tended to be the case with bands from that era but like…Green Day had a massive album that was in part about how much the Bush years sucked. It’s wild to me that the better part of two decades later people are still surprised they’re not republicans.

beachdude and heymattrick like this.
  12. Phil507

Yeah, it's really odd. Almost as strange as the IG comments for, like, Rise Against these days but I guess that's due to RA playing a lot of butt-rock festivals. Green Day were like the one outlier that did the anti-Bush stuff on that scale. While Fall Out Boy played the Obama inaguaration, I think they were pretty tight-lipped about their leanings in an effort not to alienate their newly acquired middle America fanbase.

beachdude and Craig Manning like this.
  13. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

They can listen to Big & Rich instead. Fuck the fuck off.

beachdude, Brent and Craig Manning like this.
  14. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

its not punk to get vax’d

15. Chad Grauke

Cain's sent out the "Surprise!" email the morning of the 19th and I had that day off so I slept in and fucking missed it...I have no interest in seeing them in an arena but Cain's would have been awesome.

Apparently they've been here in town utilizing the BOK Center to get their production tied down for the tour. People have been saying they've seen them around town for the last week or so.

And according to people there last night they ended with Jesus of Suburbia and just bolted without an encore even though the setlist had an encore listed. Don't know what happened there...

Brent likes this.
  16. Phil507

Seems like they were using this as a test run for how many songs they could get into their allotted time.

17. heymattrick

Sending my love

The set times that were posted to Reddit said Green Day plays til 10:45 but I have a feeling they'll go over pretty much every time

18. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Psh Tulsa always gets all the shows!!