Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grayscale - Umbra (August 27, 2021) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Yeah, I’d add more before I’d subtract anything. Overall I was underwhelmed by my first listen but the second and third listens have been increasingly satisfying.

Jusscali and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  2. zachmacD

Trusted

I’m pleasantly surprised with this album. I wasn’t excited at all after hearing the singles, but this feels like a natural progression from nella vita. I roll my eyes at some of the lyrics but I’m looking forward to spending more time with this

beachdude likes this.
  3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I just want them to double down on without you and really push themselves sonically. It’s weird - I prefer the super pop stuff (without you, bad love) and then the edgier stuff (dirty bombs, king) but less of the stuff that’s In between. They have a nice duality quality to them for sure.

4. seanxwilliams

Scar crossed lovers, forever

Honestly they should’ve made that photo the album cover

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I love the tone of this album. Grayscale is one of the few bands in the scene that have a fun time mixing it up.

6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

They also touched on wanting a minimalistic cover for a few reasons - A) because Nella Vita had such a clear visual direction and B) they wanted people to not be able to immediately draw an assumption based on their album cover. They felt it would attract more people that way.

Even if I don’t like their choices all the time, I have to respect that everything they do is calculated and very well thought out.

zachmacD, beachdude, meggers and 2 others like this.
  7. Jusscali

Yeah he seems like a pretty heady dude tbh

8. Jusscali

Who produced/mixed this? There are a few minor issues I have here and there.

zachmacD likes this.
  9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Courtney Ballard produced it and mixed it (well, he at least mixed Dirty Bombs)

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Liking this more than Nella Vita on first listen. NV had a few tracks I really loved but overall I wasn't as hot on it as a lot of people were.

latortuga likes this.
  11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Just finished my first listen and the ending to Light is so abrupt. Felt really jarring for the end of the album.

12. soggytime

Trusted

I'm enjoying this much more than Nella Vita. Some really great songs on here.

13. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Yeah, on my first listen I laughed out loud and said “what?” all alone in my apartment.

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Really enjoy this. Live Again and Carolina Skies are so dang good.

meggers likes this.
  15. brentkid

Regular

Better than Nella Vita for me and I really enjoyed that album. Without You is so, so good. Agree with above about loving if they went even further in this direction.

16. Really disliked all of the singles so not gonna lie, bar was kinda on the floor going in. With that said, was pleasantly surprised with some of this. It doesn’t really break a lot of new ground for them and therefore doesn’t seem as fresh and spirited as NV, but does enough to scratch that pop rock itch that I’ll definitely be returning to it

17. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Probably the best album to ever come out of this era of the scene, god damn. The fact that these guys aren't the face of alternative rock is a massive failure of the system, because this is equally fun as it is accessible.

Side note-- Courtney Ballard is one of the best producers in this genre, he's taken so many bands to the next level (Stand Atlantic, Waterparks, Bearings, etc.)

WeWereGiants, beachdude and meggers like this.
  18. zachmacD Aug 27, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 27, 2021)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Not to be a buzzkill, but does anyone else feel like there’s way too much going on in some songs? It’s like production overload. Maybe it’s just because I’m used to their other music. On my second listen, I kept wondering how they were going to pull off half these songs live.

This album also reminds me a lot of Emarosa’s Peach Club.

With that all said, I do like that the album is more diverse than the singles let on, and Collin sounds really great.

latortuga likes this.
  19. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Overall this is better than Nella Vita but I’m not sure there’s a song as good as In Violet. Dreamcatcher might be one of their worst songs in general

20. WeWereGiants

Regular

I’m with you, band deserves way bigger success than they are getting

Also, that Bearings record really was a huge improvement, I’m gonna keep my eye on Ballard

beachdude likes this.
  21. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

I was really bored by this which sucks because I love this band. The songs all sound similar. Maybe I'll revisit.

22. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Never heard of this band before, this album is a lot of fun. Really really reminds me of Eye Alaska, which is a great thing.

beachdude likes this.
  23. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

I viewed this like Nella Vita. I love about half of it and they have some great songs, but the other half is rather boring. I love that they are branching out and doing their thing but I do miss the more aggressive side that they displayed on the first album at times.

Pepetito likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

only a few songs in but this is a lot of fun

25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

this isnt the best album ive ever heard or anything but its a super solid pop rock album. nothing on here stands out as weaker than the rest imo. im pretty impressed honestly

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.