Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grayscale - Umbra (August 27, 2021) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Jul 22, 2021.

1. WeWereGiants

Regular

The new song is absolutely my speed, 2 from 2 so far.

2. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Well, well, well would you look at that - another banger.

3. Interesting choice to have a lyric video that doesn’t include the lyrics to the chorus of the song lol

Like Dirty Bombs, this kinda feels like another Nella Vita b-side. Not bad, just not all that exciting

4. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

This one feels more like a bside to me - not mad about it but I’m whatever. I enjoyed dirty.

zachmacD likes this.
  5. Honestly shocked you weren't into this one!

6. Jusscali

I mean I am into it - I’m a big fan of the sound - there is something about the melody of the chorus/lyrics that hasn’t settled yet

ArmsLikeTeeth likes this.
  7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Dirty Bombs is my most played song since it came out. This song… kind of stinks. Hate the lyrics

8. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Love it. No complaints.

9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I like Dirty Bombs a lot more but not super crazy on either song.

10. thegreatbenbino

Dirty Bombs didn't connect with me at first and then I found myself wanting to listen to it over and over. This one is hitting right away, even though I don't love the lyrics in the chorus.

I will say, these songs feel a little bit more reserved and straight forward than a lot of stuff on Nella Vita - I think that's probably the fault of the negative reaction to Diamond, where they were really pushing their sound (for better or worse).

I don't think this album is going to change anyone's opinion of them, but so far it seems like I'm going to be pretty into it.

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

earthlight and beachdude like this.
  12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This album is significantly more diverse than the singles indicate… imo it feels like a logical progression from Nella Vita while pushing the dabbling in different genre elements further on a lot of songs. The opener “Without You” is an absolute 80s pop rock-inspired smash, complete with horns and choir vocals.

Nothing quite like “Diamond”, but they still push their sound quite a bit… and imo it mostly feels more natural than on that song. I think fans who enjoyed Nella Vita will find a lot to like here.

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Good to hear! Jealous you already have it, ha.

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  14. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Review got me hype!!!

beachdude likes this.
  15. michael sauvageau

Jason also put his thoughts on it in his last edition of the liner notes, recommend you check that out if you haven't! Very excited for this release

beachdude likes this.
  16. michael sauvageau

Has anyone else heard this? Would love to hear some more thoughts

17. meggers

Trusted

Just in case anyone missed the first round of vinyl.

18. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Only a few days left, really looking forward to hearing this.

meggers and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  19. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

20. meggers

Trusted

This ranks up there with Tommy’s Song as far as making me emotional. The video is so good.

Brent likes this.
  21. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. That was really good.

22. thegreatbenbino

If there's one thing I've learned in the past 5 years or so, it's that I'm really really into gospel vocals. You add a good choir to the 1-877-Kars4Kids jingle and I'm going to bump that shit all day. Gospel Baby Shark? Give it to me.

This is already a great song and it feels so right for it to hit its peak with that choir.

beachdude and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  23. WeWereGiants

Regular

The opening song on Umbra is killer, getting through my first listen and it’s really catchy stuff

beachdude likes this.
  24. Jusscali

So it’s out there?

25. WeWereGiants

Regular

I’m in Australia so it just released on streaming, but it’s definitely out there now… no idea where you’d find it in 2021 though haha