Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Gorillaz Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Paddy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. tucah

not champ Prestigious

All the art for the band is done by the artist Jamie Hewlett. Although Albarn is the primary musical force behind the band, the band is represented as fictional characters and each album cycle follows a storyline (that has gotten increasingly complex with each record) that spans their music videos, DVDs, supplemental material on their website, even a book documenting their "history", etc - everything around the music, though the records themselves aren't really concept albums and don't quite contribute to the story in same way. For example, the stuff that's been going on recently is catching up with each of the (animated) band members to see what they've been up to as they reunite to get the band together. The mix that's posted a few posts above is supposed to be curated by one of the members - Noodle, the guitarist who was also trained to be a super soldier in Japan as a child. The whole thing is a unique side to the band, not necessary to enjoy the music of course but still fascinating and fun to keep up with IMO.

fronkensteen, Joe and beachdude42 like this.
  2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

3. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

That was exceptionally weird

Paddy likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yes, very strange, but I'm not sure what I expected.

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Sure isn't as poppy as their previous lead singles have been.

6. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

That was... something?

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Haha, it's super weird. I do like it though! I'd guess this is like, not the official single, but who knows

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

It's an anti trump song, so I'm sure they just released this first to coincide with his inauguration tomorrow. Guessing we'll get an official lead single soon after.

9. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

It reminds me a lot of the lou reed track from Plastic Beach

Joe4th likes this.
  10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This is pretty exceptional.

11. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Coming from someone with a gorillaz tattoo, that was horrible. so glad it won't be on the album

12. irthesteve

why do you think it won't? What I heard is that it IS on the next album

13. Jakob Allen

Trusted

Rolling Stone article had this in it:

"Gorillaz – the project of Albarn and illustrator Jamie Hewlett – are at work on their first album since 2011's The Fall. The group is expected to release the record later this year, though "Hallelujah Money" is not its first single."

Could be wrong, could mean something else, I dunno. With that said, I really hope it isn't on the album. After The Fall was such a letdown, I need some classic Gorillaz.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I didn't know people had any expectations for "The Fall." That thing was so rushed and obviously just made to make a point that musicians can make an album solely with an iPad, I don't even consider it Gorillaz canon.

This - Eh, it's weird. So was "Stylo" when that first came out. It does sound like something off "The Fall," just kind of okay. I'm sure it would work well on an album in context.

15. irthesteve

Ah cool, yeah somewhere I saw it listed as the first single but I trust Rolling Stone also, sometimes haha. The Fall was definitely blahhh but I always thought of it as the companion to Plastic Beach like G Sides and D Sides were previously, though those two were way better. ANYWAY I want an awesome album, is what I am getting at

16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I don't doubt the new album will be partially great, mostly good, and occasionally bizarre.

17. fronkensteen

Trusted

I've always known and enjoyed their big singles, but never listened to their albums until yesterday.

Guys and gals... what the fuck was I thinking? The range they have with instrumentation, vocals, genres, etc... is astounding. Unbelievable.

Demon Day is my favorite so far, with Plastic Beach right behind it.

And I love Hallelujah Money.

incognitojones likes this.
  18. Xenocide

The Czar

Huge fan of both Demon Days and Plastic Beach front to back. I respect what they're trying to do with Hallelujah Money but I prefer my music to be listenable.

Jakob Allen likes this.
  19. fronkensteen

Trusted

That's nuts.

All their albums have avant-garde songs and people are acting like Hallelujah Money is some abstract noise metal or something.

VanMastaIteHab and DeviantRogue like this.
  20. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I don't mind that it's weird, I just don't like that it sucks haha. same goes for the fall. it's different, but that's not why I dislike it, it just isn't good

21. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I really liked it, it's so deliciously sinister

22. Horrorca

Trusted

so this was pretty fucking cool

what are you all talking about

DarkHotline likes this.
  23. Horrorca

Trusted

also this

fronkensteen likes this.
  24. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I don't think the track is out of place with their previous work at all but I still don't like it that much.

Jakob Allen likes this.
  25. Inna Selez

Regular