Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Google Company • Page 3

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Bummed that I just bought an S7 Edge back in February...want to get my hands on the PIxel.

Also, any news when Google will release their own watches? There isn't an Android watch out there that impresses me, and would prefer one from Google.

2. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

Q1 or Q2 2017 most likely. Just a rumor at this point though.

3. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Just read an article on the Pixel live wallpapers - the way they change based on time/location/charging/etc. (dependent on which you choose) is just so neat. Was bummed about losing my Note, but each day I'm more excited to have this phone taking its place.

4. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  5. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Reporting in with Google Pixel XL in hand - this is the most premium phone I've ever held, definitely up there with, if not a bit better than the iPhone in terms of feel. I question some of the design decisions (the big "chin," lack of waterproofing/wireless charging), but it feels great. Body is solid, runs much snappier than my Note 7 did (and I thought the Note was really quick), and Android 7.1 is really pretty.

6. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

I wan to see what they can do next year, this really feels like a "prove it" year for the Pixel line as their first entry. Google says they designed it but it's very clearly an HTC One A9, which is itself a blatant iPhone rip off, with a glass window on the back for..some reason.

7. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Glad to hear positive things about the Pixel. I won't be buying one at its current price point, but I really want it to succeed and affect the smartphone market and Android ecosystem.

Not at all surprised to hear that it's snappier than the Note 7, since it's running stock Android. My Moto X Pure Edition, which can be nabbed for $250 nowadays, is often faster in day-to-day usage (not counting games and other intensive apps) than Samsung flagships because of the abomination that is TouchWiz. What the Android ecosystem really needs is for manufacturers to stop using custom skins and bloatware. Focus on hardware and leave the software to Google. If Pixel can take off with the masses, maybe it will help put pressure in that area.

Also, just my personal opinion, but people (especially the tech media) care way too much about hardware aesthetics for my tastes when evaluating smartphones. Give me stock Android with high-end specs and a great camera in a package that just works well, and I couldn't care less about chins and chamfered edges and "premium feel in the hand." If anything, I miss the more utilitarian designs from a few years back when Android OEMs weren't afraid to use plastic if needed, since it allowed for swappable batteries.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I was able to try out the XL in the Verizon store for a bit earlier and man I absolutely loved it. Smoothest/fastest Android phone I've ever seen, close to or even on par with the iPhone in that aspect. Screen was really colorful which I loved. And the touch ID being on the back of the phone makes so much sense when holding it in your hand, that completely blew my mind for such a simple thing. Gonna go for it once I'm done paying off my current phone.

9. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I'm so hating my decision to get a G5 a few months ago. Nearly $700 for a piece of junk full of hardware sensor issues. It operates wonderfully and is often faster than the iPhone 6s, but LG's quality control is awful. I've gone through 3 where the GPS sensor stopped working all together, and the bluetooth and wifi drop constantly. Turns out their modular design kind of messes with some stuff in there.

I really want a Pixel XL and hate how phone carriers can get away with selling you defective equipment and not refund you >_<

10. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

I just got a new phone a few months ago so I'm probably not getting a new phone this cycle, but man I can't wait to get a Pixel 2

11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

12. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I cannot STAND the fact that Google is pushing AMP pages in their mobile search results. I hate that thing with a burning passion, and if there was a way for me to go into my Google account and disable it for all my search results and other features of my account, I would do so in a heartbeat.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  13. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

15. Anyone have Google home? My wife just got me one for xmas.

Overtime I want to start transitioning to a smart house...lights, thermostat, door locks, etc

16. RyanPm40

I don't, but how are you liking it?

I'm struggling to find a reason why I'd use it over just saying "OK Google" to my phone.

17. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Just ordered the Pixel. Super excited to get this, should arrive by early next week. So stoked to leave the iPhone.

ramres and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. terrrrrible

With all the problems popping up with the Nexus 6P lately, was hoping I'd get a Pixel as a replacement, as I'd seen someone say happened to them. Didn't happen; got a refurbed 6P, which I'll take cause I love this phone. Definitely will be looking into the 2nd gen Pixel when it comes out eventually.

19. ramres

Next Show: Panchiko -- 5/3

Ordered a Pixel XL back in late November, was supposed to get it next week, then I cancelled it before Christmas because it went on sale for $15/month at Verizon, so I ordered it again and now I won't get it until late January lol

20. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Got my Pixel today and am loving it so far. I've never owned an Android so there's a bit of a learning curve, but I'm getting used to it. The widget functions are so nice. Adding some stuff to the home screen is making everything so much easier

ramres likes this.
  21. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Got the daydream headset. It is really really cool. I wish there was more to do on it right now, but what it has is fantastic. The video watching features are incredible

22. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

23. RyanPm40

I'm getting really pissed at Google constantly introducing new bugs to their Android apps.

All of a sudden, using "OK Google" to play a song from my Play Music library never actually plays my stored music and just defaults to the radio. Driving me insane, I want to go through the whole album and it was working fine for years now.

24. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

25. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Google is rolling out location sharing in Maps...they already tried this back in the day with Latitude so I'm slightly confused.