Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Google Company • Page 2

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Just signed up for Fi tonight. Any comments on the service and/or device you're using?

2. devenstonow

Noobie

I have a 6P, which I had prior to going on Fi. Overall, pretty solid. The only thing I miss is being able to use data while in a call, but that's not a big deal. Get service pretty much everywhere I go, but I'm in a city so YMMV.

exanctile likes this.
  3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I want Fi, but Sprint and T-Mobile unfortunately have pretty poor coverage in NH. It's really VZ or ATT, and even between those two, VZ has better coverage by quite a lot there.

4. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Bought a Chromecast today. Wow. How have I not had one of these until now.

5. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

Such a wonderful device. I use mine much more than I anticipated when I bought it during a promotion. Great utility in personal use, but even more when showing a video to a friend.

6. devenstonow

Noobie

Not sure if it matters, but US Cellular is being added soon

7. jorbjorb

7 rings

google is the shit - from an apple user

8. devenstonow

Noobie

allo is fucking worthless. Hopefully they plan to make it their RCS client (as opposed to making a new app like they like to do).

I hate Hangouts and love Textra, but being on Fi makes Hangouts impossible to leave because texting from the Hangouts client on my computer is just such a huge feature that I can't stray from.

Onlyadirector likes this.
  9. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Allo is a huge disappointment. Google is just using it as a platform to show off their upcoming Google Assistant that will launch with their new Pixel flagships. At least they're capable of a smooth and responsive app now. Youtube/Hangouts/Play Music are sad.

10. devenstonow

Noobie

For those who haven't been following, the other day was the 8th anniversary of Android's release. The Googler who heads Android and Chrome OS tweeted, "I have a feeling 8 years from now we're gonna be talking about Oct. 4, 2016"

The Oct. 4 announcement as of now is the Pixel phones, Google Home release info, 4K Chromecast, and a Google Router. Now, the rumor is they're gonna announce the long-rumored new OS that's a merger of Chrome OS and Android.

Reports: Google's "Andromeda" is the Android-Chrome OS Merger, Might Debut October 4, Already in Testing, and Coming 2017 on a New Pixel | Droid Life

If this is true, I legit think this is gamechanging. Windows and Ubuntu are already making a similar shift to hybrid mobile/PC OS's, and the 2nd largest phone OS doing that could be huge.

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

12. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Asked this in the Apple thread since I know this one doesn't get too much activity. Figured I'd try here too.

I've been an Apple person for a long time now. I just got a new car that supports Android Auto but not Apple Car Play yet which is somewhat frustrating. Luckily my brother had an old HTC lying around that he gave to me to use in the car (he switched over to iPhone a few years back). The problem is the OS on the phone is outdated and won't support Android Auto. The phone also gives no options to update the OS. I need 5.0 or later in order for it to work. I've Googled around but with my essentially non-existent Android knowledge I figured I'd ask around before doing something stupid.

Any ideas?

13. Dan CiTi

♎️♈️♌️ Prestigious

Pixel looks cool but I will never care about voice commands, even when they are as perfect as you could ever imagine.

14. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

Welcome to the year 2016 where "3.5mm headphone jack" has to be listed on a "tech specs" slide

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

What model and year is the HTC, and what is the current version running? You may be out of luck, unless you can root and flash a 5.0 image, but if the phone's bootloader is locked by the cell carrier, you usually won't even be able to do that. If it's an unlocked phone not purchased through a cell carrier, then things get a lot easier.

I'm not familiar with Android auto and if there could potentially be some workaround with a third party app.

16. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Thanks for the reply. It's an HTC One S running 4.1.1 I believe. Unfortunately the phone is locked to a carrier. Android Auto seems super straightforward but I haven't heard of any 3rd party apps.

17. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

Two things I don't understand about the reaction to this event

1 ) Verizon being the only carrier selling the device in store is not the same thing as the phone being a carrier exclusive, that phrase means something and calling the Pixel phones a Verizon exclusive is misleading

2 ) I don't understand how a Google Phone built by HTC is less of a Google Phone than an Apple phone built by Foxconn is an Apple phone. Neither companies manufacturer their own products, the design of the device is what counts.

18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Legitimately impressed by the Pixel. With the disappointment of the iPhone 7 and my contract expiring in December, if this is a good as it looks I would seriously consider switching over. Only thing I'm unsure of is the fingerprint being on the back of the phone as opposed to the front.

19. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

So if I bought it from Google, I could just go to the AT&T store and they'll set it up for me, correct?

20. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

I'd wait a week or two to give AT&T time to add the IMEI blocks to their whitelist but yes, the Pixel phones are fully compatible with their network. Alternatively you can just pop the sim card you have now into the new phone and it'll start working right away. I haven't actually gone through activation with my phones in years, just keep the same sim from device to device.

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  21. exanctile

Fight the long defeat.

I own a Nexus 5X, and I love the sensor placement on the back. Works as a natural guide for my index finger to support the phone more effectively in my hand, too.

22. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

With the death of my beloved Note 7, just pre-ordered the Pixel XL. Not quite as excited for it as I was for the Note 7, but looks to be the best "replacement" available and the camera looks pretty stellar, as does the overall design.

23. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

Ars Technica confirmed with both Google and Verizon that even though Verizon will handle the actual distribution of the updates, the Pixel phones purchased from Verizon will get updates and security patches the same day as other pixel devices. The phones will also be carrier unlocked and only have 3 "bloatware" apps on them, all 3 of which can be uninstalled not just deactivated. So this thing really is the iPhone experience from Google. Finally!

24. christsizedshoes

Trusted

The variant sold by Verizon will have a locked bootloader (no rooting) in addition to the bloatware. I'd avoid it at all costs, personally. It will probably affect resale value, especially if it flops and only tech nerds are looking to buy it on the used market.

I'm lukewarm on the Pixel series overall, but nonetheless hope they're successful in at least chipping into Apple's dominance among the masses here in the US. We're in dire need of real competition following Note 7 explodegate. And Google's flavor of Android is and always has been a far superior experience to the bloated, different-for-the-sake-of-different monstrosities of Samsung, LG, et al.

25. Alec Joy

Regular Prestigious

The bloatware is 3 apps that can be completely uninstalled and 90% of people don't need to unlock their phone, especially the types of people who will be buying a phone from a carrier on contract.