Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Google Company

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Google (Official Thread)

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Has anyone here tried Google's Inbox app/web client? I started messing around with it a bit, and it's definitely... interesting. Just looking at a lot of forums and such, seems like some people really love it after they get used to it, and others just switch back to the regular Gmail option.

3. noxee

Regular Prestigious

I started using as soon as it became available to me. It look a bit to get used to at the start (as well as marking most of my emails as done) but after that I really enjoyed it, my inbox feels less intimidating when I open it up.

The features I really enjoy are:
    • Marking an email as done. I have a weird thing where I like to have my inbox at zero unread emails so this feature definitely helps with that. My inbox also feels less cluttered.
    • Pinning emails. If I want to come back to an email later or it's got some important information I usually pin it.
    • Snoozing an email is kind of a cool feature but I don't use it all that much. The only times I've used is to remind myself to pay a bill or something.
    I really like and I don't see myself switching back to the standard Gmail client.

4. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

@noxee Awesome thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide if it's something I want to actually invest time in getting used to and using. Currently I just use gmail.com. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I've gotten used to it and made it part of my current work flow with labels, which works fine for me. Ha and I've been using the Outlook iOS app with it. Just looking at Inbox first I wasn't sure, but the more I mess with it, the more I think I could get into it fully.

So it looks like they have those certain "bundled" categories, and then the unbundled ones. When I've been messing around with it a bit, it looks like it just moves an email if you move it to an unbundled folder, and gets rid of the label system that I've been using. I've just been thinking about what the specific uses for marking an email as "done" would be, verses just deleting something, unless you just want to essentially archive it. Haha I know none of this matters really, but just a matter of getting used to a new way of organizing.

5. noxee

Regular Prestigious

@Eric Wilson The thing I like about labels now is that if I tell it to be bundled into the inbox it will now appear like the default ones (Purchases, Promos, Social, etc). Which to me is a big win because one of the major gripes I had with the Gmail interface was that I wasn't able to specify my own custom tabs, I could only use what was there and had to rely on labels for everything else.

As for marking an email as "done" as opposed to detailing it, I like it because I can still quickly search for a previous email but I don't have to have it cluttering my inbox.

6. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Nice. Yeah I think I'm going to jump all in with this and give it a shot. The more I use it, the more I like certain aspects of it. Was trying to see how Inbox sees my "starred" emails from Gmail online. Guess I may have to go back and just "pin" those.

7. 4chan's founder "Moot" has joined Google's staff.

8. I saw that the other day, found that ... strange.

9. From a community standpoint it makes sense, but he's on the photo's team, so...

10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Not too surprised since I understand he's a smart dude with Internet ideology but from a philosophical standpoint he and Google seem like they would be at odds

11. lightning13 likes this.
  12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

13. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

I thought the april fool's joke was hilarious. it's a bummer that they had to apologize for it.

14. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

15. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Because Mae just released their MAEVR thing, I ordered the basic Google Cardboard last night. Anyone had any experience with it? I figured for $15 it can't be that well done, but hey.

16. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

finally upgraded my phone to the still very budget 5x and holy fuck this thing is sexy

17. devenstonow

Noobie

VZW contract ran out so finally switching to Project Fi :)

18. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Gboard is awesome

atticusfinch likes this.
  19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Holy shit. That's awesome.

20. devenstonow

Noobie

Google IO time. This voice assistant looks sweet.

21. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I would still really like to see multitasking on the iOS apps. But I get the feeling that it's wishful thinking at this point. I've moved some Spreadsheet to Quip just so I can use them for multitasking on my iPad.

22. noxee

Regular Prestigious

23. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Hmm can't see why you'd get one of those with the existence of the Chromecast Audio player or just the plain ol Chromecast

24. devenstonow

Noobie

Voice interactivity. And just generally the same reason you'd get an echo. And it can be used in combination with the Chromecast platform.

25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I guess I'm still not completely sure of the benefit of Echo? I've researched it a few times in the past but I just don't get what it does that a phone and chromecast can't.

The voice interactivity is cool, but everyone has a phone where they can say "Ok google" to chromecast anything. Is the main benefit that you have your own built-in speaker and can control "smart" technology in your home?

That is cool that it can be used with the Chromecast- if it's able to play through the Google Home speaker and Chromecast simultaneously, I'll be very impressed :) , otherwise kind of a wasted feature