Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Good Old War Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Mar 14, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good Old War is an indie band from Philadelphia consisting of Keith Goodwin, Dan Schwartz and formerly/sometimes Tim Arnold.

[​IMG]

2. irthesteve

New tour announced today, "An Intimate Evening With Good Old War"

iplaydrums likes this.
  3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

One of my favorite bands. I've seen them every album cycle except this one. And the locations have always been fucking strange to the point where I tell them where I saw them the first time and they're like "...holy shit" Love love love love love these guys. And this video is a personal favorite because Tim is fucking singing, drumming, and playing accordion

4. irthesteve

Speaking of locations, last time I saw them was at a Farmer's Market near Ameoba and Umami

iplaydrums likes this.
  5. Meerkat

@irthesteve The first time I saw them was at a "festival" in a flea market in middle of nowhere south Jersey where all the bands were playing in front of wooden picnic tables. They didn't even have a name yet. Person L and Socratic also played. It was a very strange time haha

6. irthesteve

none of that makes sense, but I love it

7. Meerkat

One of the times I saw them after that I mentioned it to Tim and he thought it was so hysterical he called the other guys over to talk about it

8. irthesteve

We still need to get you to tour with them

9. Meerkat

Yeah right haha. I couldn't live up to that and I wouldn't want to try.

10. highfidelity203 Mar 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2016)
    highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

One of the best live bands I've ever seen. Just listened to Only Way to Be Alone today. Did anyone else think they were supposed to blow up with Broken Into Better Shape?

trevorshmevor likes this.
  11. Meerkat

:hand: Hi Bobby! And yeah, I thought the new album would've picked up more traction than it did

highfidelity203 likes this.
  12. highfidelity203

Hi Eva! I felt like there was a decent amount of hype for it and then it was released and nothing sadly.

iplaydrums likes this.
  13. irthesteve

It was an interesting release, the lead single was definitely the poppiest, and most obvious chance they've had at mainstream success, but I am not sure there was much of a marketing push behind it. I know this was their first album without Sargent House, and I don't know if the Netwerk deal is purely distribution or if it included a marketing side of things. Either way, it's really really tough for a band 4 albums in to get a hit. It happens, definitely, but for the majority of bands you have your core fans at that point and bringing in new fans gets tougher

14. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Honestly, no. As good as they are and as good as their sound translated to something more poppy, I feel like the majority of people would rather listen to acoustic "folk" that is already on the radio, though not quite as good imo.

15. highfidelity203

Blow up was probably too strong of a word on my end but I thought it would bring them to another level - maybe close to a City & Colour as opposed to a Mumford and Sons or Of Monsters and Men.

16. irthesteve

A little Gaslight Anthem ahead of their Brian Fallon tour over seas

Meerkat likes this.
    jordalsh and Meerkat like this.
  18. Meerkat

I oddly associate GOW with TGA because of when and how I discovered them both (same time on AP) so it's cool to see them touring together and to hear them covering TGA. I'm also really bummed I can't see them in LA. The universe just doesn't want me to see Good Old War anymore apparently.

19. irthesteve

God I love Days Away, that's a reunion show I would hit up in a heartbeat

trevorshmevor and jordalsh like this.
  20. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I think it was in the Minority Report TV show pilot where a character pulls out a copy of Broken Into Better Shape on vinyl and "Tell Me What You Want From Me" ends up being played over the scene. Kind of expected to hear them pop up in more places, maybe in an ad here or there, but never did.

21. Stay The Same :verysad::verysad::verysad::verysad::verysad: I love days away so much

22. now I've got Broken Into Better Shape on for the first time in a while. Oh yeah, it's GOW weather

Meerkat likes this.
  23. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Better Weather is GOW weather.

Meerkat and jordalsh like this.
  24. Meerkat likes this.
  25. Meerkat

Their harmonies are always top notch. Great people, great music. Love everything about this