Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Goo Goo Dolls "Dizzy Up The Girl" 20th Anniversary Tour Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Apr 9, 2018.

1. bradsonemanband Apr 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2018)
    The band will perform “Dizzy Up the Girl” in its entirety during the first set, followed by hits and deep cuts in the second set. Tickets on sale April 13.

[​IMG]

2. RogrStahlback

Trusted Supporter

I'll probably go to the Chicago date. Never seen them live before so this seems like a show i would regret if i miss.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Definitely have to check out the SLC date! Especially since it's right across the street from my apartment.

I've always looooved this album, but have never had a chance to see them live. So this is a perfect opportunity! Plus, I get paid on Friday so that works out too.

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Bummed no Portland date, but yay weekend Seattle trip!

GEM37 and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. their video announcement is pretty fun haha

6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Wow, my nostalgia really can't handle this. The first two record I ever bought were Third Eye Blind S/T and Dizzy Up The Girl. They are still 2 of my top 5 records of all time! I saw S/T last summer, and now I'm seeing Dizzy Up The Girl!

7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Would love to go to that Beacon theatre date, but damn concert tickets have really been draining my bank account lately.

8. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Damn. I’ve gotta go to the Indy date.

9. I’m just so stoked that they’ll literally be playing every song I know by them. Ha

GEM37 and manoverboard365 like this.
  10. manoverboard365

Trusted

Ah man, they have so many other great songs outside this album!

11. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Some of the deep cuts on this album are GREAT. I really like "All Eyes On Me".

12. best album besides DUTG?

13. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

You'll probably like A Boy Named Goo. "Long Way Down" and "Name" are great.

14. josh-

This and “Bullet proof” are two of my faves off Dizzy

Larry David and chewbacca110 like this.
  15. Me & My Arrow

John | Align in Time

Psyched for this. Hearing "Hate This Place" live for the first time will be amazing. Otherwise it's not a huge deal, since they already play 6+ songs off the album on a regular basis.

Whoa, if you love DUTG and haven't heard their other albums, you're in for a treat. The four-album stretch from Superstar Car Wash to Gutterflower is incredible. Superstar Car Wash is the transition album from their punk days, when they first started to incorporate more of the power-pop sound that eventually led to songs like "Slide." A Boy Named Goo gave hints of DUTG's ballads with "Name," but is otherwise much closer to the alternative rock feel of "All Eyes on Me" (would also recommend "Lazy Eye" from this same period, from the Batman & Robin soundtrack). Gutterflower is the most similar to DUTG, but it's much darker lyrically and musically (especially in the back half), which is probably part of why it didn't take off the same way outside of "Here Is Gone."

Beyond those albums, both Hold Me Up (more of their punk roots) and Let Love In (more of the hyper-polished radio ballads that made them famous) have their moments. After LLI, there's only the occasional great song, but the only truly bad album is their most recent, Boxes, which sounds like Phillip Phillips and Imagine Dragons and nothing good.

bachna84 likes this.
  16. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Oh Brad. This post is bad.

bachna84 and bradsonemanband like this.
  17. guys! to be fair... i do know "Name", "Long Way Down", and a few others from albums here and there, but they're ones that i assume the band will be playing every night in their second set. haha.

but as far as full albums besides DUTG, i need to do some more listening. i've listened a couple once or twice, but haven't gone back to them, which isn't very fair. i gotta brush on my Goos.

18. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I can’t believe I get to see this and Gin Blossoms’ New Miserable Experience in full this year. So excited!

19. DarkestDayOfMan

Trusted

A Boy Named Goo is their best in my opinion. Some really underrated tracks on that album (Ain't That Unusual, Naked, Eyes Wide Open).

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  20. all 3 of those ones you mentioned are great! i have them saved on my spotify already, actually.

ok, maybe they won't play every song i know, after all. haha.

21. manoverboard365

Trusted

I'm sure you're already familiar with the big songs from A Boy Named Goo. I'd recommend checking out Let Love In. I don't think anyone expected a 2006 Goo Goo Dolls to put out an album that solid.
    Also, best Goo Goo song:

22. josh-

Naked and Big Machine are certified slappers as well

23. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I'm old and saw Goo Goo Dolls on the actual tour for this album at Jones Beach when they co-headlined with Sugar Ray (and Fastball opened!) John's voice hasn't held up particularly well over the years so I'm not sure I'll pull the trigger on tickets for this. Day of, if people aren't asking insane amounts of money, might consider going.

bachna84 and manoverboard365 like this.
  24. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I found Let Love In to be a huge let-down. Big Glen Ballard produced muck of adult contemporary music. There were some occasional melodies that I found myself enjoying (particularly "Can't Let It Go") but I found it to be mostly forgettable. I pretty much checked out after their 2010 release.

25. manoverboard365

Trusted

I have so many great memories of seeing Goo Goo Dolls at Jones Beach. There was a good 10 year run where they were there every summer.