Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

GoFundMe Started for Warped Tour Medic

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

A GoFundMe for Warped Tour’s medic, Travis, has been started:

In the course of his job as a music tour medic, Travis is usually the one to be helping others, keeping them safe and healthy while they are away from home. While on tour in Spring of 2018, he went to the nearest hospital because he was not feeling right. That hospital sent him on his way, telling him he was fine. Unfortunately they missed the cancer that had developed and Travis wasn’t diagnosed until he returned home in the summer. Because of this, he missed valuable treatment time.

It will never not depress me that we live in the richest nation in the history of the world … and people have to crowd fund for medical expenses.

2. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Lyman donating $500 is ridiculous.

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Was just abt to ask abt his contribution anddddd I’m not surprised! Wish he’d take care of his staff at LEAST.

4. Martina Aug 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 11, 2018)
    Martina

Regular

He could have as easily donated $5,000, but if he donated $500 to start, it's at least an amount that others might feel they could match or come close to and chip in as well. Word will get around that he donated $500 and easily get 9 more people doing the same, if not many more. Someone else will see that and think, sure, I can donate $50...or $100...or $500 and feel like I'm in the same circle as Lyman, and afterward tweet or message him, or at least his account name on some social media platform, and think they are messaging him / getting a message / in the same circle in some way as him.

If people want to complain publically he didnt donate more, he probably would be glad to do so, reinforcing the reason(s) why he donated at all in the first place, as well as validating the complaint he didnt donate more. His style of self-marketing works just like that, and if he could he'd thank everyone personally for every critical comment made about his $500 donation, it's exactly one of the the kinds of reactions he hopes to get for what he did.

He's built a reputation over three decades of being the biggest and best in the business of taking care of his own (and marketing the image that he does that, always). It's those who aren't his own that more people should be concerned about.

"Warped Roadie Cancer Gofundme." It says so much that such a thing exists, doesn't it?

5. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

“He is, technically, self-employed and therefore doesn’t have the insurance to cover all of his treatment expenses and since he can’t go out on any tours while receiving his life saving treatments, he isn’t bringing in the income to pay for these treatments.”

There’s no reason why the medic on a major national tour isn’t a full-fledged employee with employer provided health insurance, presumably providing medical service to at the least bands and crew and potentially fans (which is a major liability if you provide improper treatment).

For (admittedly extreme) example, some kid takes a bad spill and bumps their head. The “self employed” medic diagnoses the minor concussion but misses the skull fracture that he’s rushed to the ER for on the way home.

There’s a lawsuit coming, but since he’s “self employed”, Warped isn’t liable.

Put the dude on payroll and insure him.

I Am Mick likes this.
  6. BradBradley

Regular

Wow, thanks for providing your thoughts, Kevin!