Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Godzilla Vs Kong (March 31, 2021) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Full Effect Ed, May 30, 2017.

1. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

In terms of the Showa-Era then yes but outside of those fifteen films it depends on what is readily available. Found it difficult to even find the original Japenese version of Mothra, among other monster movies from the same era, so I don't have high hopes for the rest.

2. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The original Rodan is on HBO Max. All of the Showa-era films are on it as well.

Once you get to the Heisei era films I would recommend the Japanese ‘Return of Godzilla’ instead of the American ‘Godzilla 1985’ but after that it’s whatever in terms of versions you come across.

Just a heads up that most of the Showa films directed by Fukuda other than ‘Ebirah‘ are incredibly silly.

3. secretsociety92

I'm in the UK so we only have the American versions on offer and since I have a complete inability to properly enjoy dubbed films that sadly rules out a lot of the ones I want to watch like Rodan, Mothra, Dogora, Gammera and Space Amoeba which granted aren't part of the same series but I am addicted to fifties and sixties sci-fi right now.

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was going through all of them and was blown away at how hokey they all are. Lots of slapping rocks back and forth. I had to take a break after Son of Godzilla. I hated that movie as a kid and hate it even more now.

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I surprisingly enjoy All Monsters Attack. There’s just something very comfy about it.

The only Showa films I can’t watch are Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla vs Megalon, and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Godzilla vs Hedorah isn’t hokey but it is very boring.

6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Is Return streaming anywhere?

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t believe so. Kraken usually doesn’t work for their films to be on digital platforms. The blu ray is pretty cheap ($11) and the quality isn’t bad.

Edit: it looks like it’s on HiDive.

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Watching Destroy All Monsters now. Man, this one is crazy. Its rated G, but a dude has been shot in the head and another straight up committed suicide. Shit's wild.

It feels like some of the beats are a little too similar to Invasion of Astro Monster. Then again, a lot of these movies have the same beats lol.

flask likes this.
  9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Destroy All Monsters is one of my favorite Shows films and it’s easy to forgive it for portraying 1999 as 1967. Given that the films were being pumped out annually there wasn’t much space for diving away from the same beats.

10. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

justin. likes this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

Kinda want that.

12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

son of Godzilla is a classic!

13. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Baby Godzilla (Minilla) is tolerable in the Heisei films, but is a complete abomination in the Showa films.

15. secretsociety92

Found the films I was initially unable to find and I'm glad I took the time to scour the internet, don't feel ashamed one bit that I am not paying for them when the original Japanese films aren't available at all for rental nor purchase. Especially glad as I realised as I am going through the Showa era Godzilla films that plenty of monsters had their own standalone films and it felt wrong to not watch them before they appear in the Godzilla series.

16. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah I actually think I’m thinking of one of the “bad” films tbh...the one with the little boy who was getting bullied. It’s a total kids movie and it’s corny AF and I loved it when I was little lol

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

After recent rewatches I have decided I like the Heisei era the most. Showa is great for nostalgia and some of the films are good (Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, Destroy All Monsters, All Monsters Attack, Terror of Mechagodzilla) but Heisei has some solid entries such as Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Destoroyah. The continuity is much smoother in the Heisei films as well.

Millenium series is the only group of films I don't care for. Godzilla 2000 is the only one is that group that I care to rewatch.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  18. secretsociety92

I'm sure I will get to the films after the Showa era at some point, just that said era is readily available on Blu-ray thanks to Criterion so it makes filling in any gaps so much easier.

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The Criterion set is the best $100 spent in quite a while. The bonus features, Japanese version of GvK, the packaging itself, all of the films on one set. Woo. I’d recommend it to any Godzilla fan merely for it being a good product for collection.

I really hope we get a Criterion Heisei collection.

Barresi likes this.
  20. secretsociety92

I'm physically renting the collection at the moment but will decide if I will buy it depending on how many of the films I like because it is at least £150 over here in the UK right now.

21. flask

Trusted Supporter

I keep talking myself out of picking up the criterion box set even when it’s half off on Barnes and Noble.

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

For me, having all of the Showa films together is a dream come true. I never had all of them while I was a kid and if I ever have kids, nieces, nephews, etc. I'll like to have the entire set for them.

That's what led me to finalizing my decision.

23. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I was able to track down all of the individual Heisei films, but I would love a Criterion set for them. It’s a shame they’re not as revered as the Showa era, but they’re my childhood.

justin. likes this.
  24. justin. Jul 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2020)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It would be quite easy for them to do so if Sony lends them the rights for a physical collection as they own 4/6 of the distribution rights.

Also, scorching hot take. I was watching ‘98 Godzilla and it’s actually a fun, harmless kaiju film up until the point when they hunt for the offspring. I know it’s not really “Godzilla,” but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it remembered.

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

Godzilla landing in New York in the 98 movie is an awesome sequence I’ll give it that.

coleslawed and justin. like this.