Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (Michael Dougherty, May 31, 2019) Movie • Page 23

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Dec 14, 2016.

1. $50m opening, $180m worldwide

2. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

$49.5 million*

They are saying final numbers could come in around $47 million though.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  3. Nah the friend I went with said something about this too, it’s not just you. I did think about it at one point during the second Godzilla vs. Ghidorah fight but I guess I just didn’t really bother me all that much

4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yikes. These are borderline terrible numbers.

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Definitely opened lower than I thought it would

6. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I still want to see this at some point. I might go Tuesday on the discount day.

It definitely doesn't seem like it'll have legs though. It obviously won Friday, but it only beat Aladdin by $1 mil on Saturday and is expected to take 2nd on Sunday.

7. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I haven't seen this yet, but I just have to say that although I don't think a good human story is a must for a movie like this, I don't think filmmakers should get a pass on just serving up hot garbage with the insane resources at their disposal on a movie like this. These are some great actors here. It really shouldn't be *that* hard. You absolutely could have a perfectly compelling and interesting human story even if it is not the primary focus of the movie.

Not a comment on G:KotM because I haven't seen it yet, just these types of huge blockbusters in general.

The reviews I have read mostly say that the monster action is good-to-great and the human stuff is servicable-to-terrible - these BO numbers seem to be right in line with showing that play out.

I am still very excited to see this.

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think blockbuster fatigue is definitely setting in. People are probably gonna take a break until maybe “Lion King” or unless anther big one gets rave reviews. That said, I think this means “Dark Phoenix” is gonna get stomped next week.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Multiple customers at my work have said they’re seeing Aladdin this weekend and when I mentioned Godzilla said some variation of “oh I didn’t know that was out?” Smh you fools.

justin. likes this.
  10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I honestly do wish that I loved Godzilla '14 more than I do, but the more of these that come out the more respect I have for it. Gareth Edwards really did thread the needle with that movie in so many ways.

Cameron and Zilla like this.
  11. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Anytime a monster was not onscreen this movie was absolutely terrible

aoftbsten likes this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think the human characters would have been more palatable if they just would have streamlined the story. Like, just make Charles Dance the person that’s activating the Titans because they’ll restore balance to the world instead of making Farmiga the roundabout B-story villain. Have the family’s motivation be they want to do justice for their son we have no attachment to and don’t have the audience run around with Eleven just to get to the stadium.

I understand we can’t judge a movie on what we want, but rather what it is. It just seemed needlessly complicated in an almost Transformers-like way.

13. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

A lot of people I know had no idea this was coming out, I feel like it somehow flew under the radar for a lot of people.

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I think the studios have overestimated how much people care about these monster franchises. They’re cinematic legends, but they’re really old - no one our age grew up with them as the dominant cultural touchstones. Things like Marvel/Star Wars/Disney animated movies are younger and people our age grew up loving those movies / comic books (I know a lot of comic book characters are just as old, but they’ve done a good job of staying relevant over the decades).

Virtually everyone I know has fond memories of things like Aladdin, or Star Wars, or reading Superman comics. I think very few people our age have a similar relationship to the older monster movies. And if you don’t have that connection, then you’re just betting on spectacle, which is tougher than it sounds.

Zilla likes this.
  15. sawhney[rusted]2 Jun 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 2, 2019)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Godzilla firing his breath into the monsters mouth at the end was one of the most satisfying cinematic moments I experienced in theaters. Nothing in this move has close to the same emotional impact

Zilla and imthesheriff like this.
  16. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

I think "blockbuster" or "franchise" fatigue is really just an excuse for bad and/or niche movies/series. Toy Story 4 is tracking for $150 million opening weekend and Spider-Man FFH is tracking for $120 million... and it's still early on those.

Dark Phoenix is definitely going to be a failure. They already dropped from $90 million to $65 million in opening from The Last Stand to Apocalypse. It's tracking at $50 million, but I think it comes in lower.

17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i think so many more people are more likely to skip most of these movies on their theater runs bc how 1. How expensive a theater going experience can be, and 2. How quickly these movies all come to digital/streaming. Youll probably be able to stream godzilla by labor day. People come out for the huge movies. Personally i love going to the movies and try to whenever i can, but i dont call people crazy when they say “eh ill wait for redbox/netflix”.

aoftbsten and imthesheriff like this.
  18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i also wont pretend that there are definitely people who are uninterested in another godzilla movie/will stay away due to bad reviews.

19. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm a big fan but didn't see it opening weekend, so I"m going to choose to extrapolate my personal anecdote out to the masses and say this movie has a big weekend next weekend too!

Okay prob not true but yeah I had absolutely zero time to see it this weekend, so next weekend it is

20. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this movie won’t have legs domestically. It’s only chance of being successful financially is overseas.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  21. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

36720E7D-6EEA-474D-9CC0-7A8127F2D516.jpeg

22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

This movie was silly, but definitely fun as hell. Literally unsure what anyone was expecting when you have like 4 monsters ready to fight.

trevorshmevor and Garrett L. like this.
  23. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

As somewhat mixed as my feelings are on this movie as a whole, I have to say the Serizawa sacrifice/Godzilla revival set to the classic march was one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.

24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

It’s pretty dumb to think you can’t have a good story/script because it’s a movie about monsters fighting.

MysteryKnight likes this.
  25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

The top three critically approved Godzilla films in terms of story quality are all solo films with no other monsters (original Godzilla, Godzilla ‘14 and Shin Godzilla).