Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

God of War (PS4) Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, May 1, 2018.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

[​IMG]

God of War (2018) is a third-person action-adventure game developed by Sony Santa Monica and published by Sony. It is a console exclusive to the Playstation 4. It contains elements comparable to a number of different sources: The Last of Us, Uncharted, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Dark Souls, MMO gear score-based leveling systems, etc.

The game follows Kratos, the former Greek god of war who, after slaughtering the gods of Olympus during the events of the original 6 games, has exiled himself to Midgard - the land of Norse mythology. Upon the death of his wife, Kratos and his son Atreus embark on a journey to fulfill her final request: to scatter her ashes from the highest mountain in the realm.

Metacritic - God of War

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Beaten three valkyries so far. Tried the armored one and got destroyed. Once school is finished I'm going to try and blast through the rest. Fire trials were tedious but felt rewarding.

3. Anthony_ May 1, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 3, 2019)
    Anthony_

The four Valkyries that aren't on Midgard are the easiest ones, I think, especially the ones on Muspelheim and Niflheim. I believe I had the most trouble with the one under Freya's house? And that was probably just because I was super underleveled for it when I beat it (like, right after I got the chisel). I beat them all and can't remember which one it was that I wanted to tear my hair out over. Still need to beat Sigrun though.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm glad more people now love God of War as much as I love God of War.

Jake W likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm dreading fighting the queen. Ugh

6. Anthony_

I was skeptical as hell about this when they first showed it off, because I love the original 6 games so, so much. But my problems with the initial footage were really smoothed out over the course of the years that followed the announcement. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

SpyKi likes this.
  7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Here because this is the best game I’ve played in a looooooong time

8. drewinseries

Drew

I love how much they hid from us for this game, everything from actually traveling to different realms, blades of chaos, how big it really is, etc, really surprised me and it was super fun to experience. I originally though the game was going to be in the snowy wooded areas the entire time.

SpyKi likes this.
  9. Anthony_

I was surprised by the realm travel aspect too, although really we should've seen it coming because it's a core part of the mythology haha. The way it was handled was such a cool concept though.

And yeah the Blades of Chaos* thing was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge "oh SHIT!" moment for me. So, so glad that wasn't spoiled. That whole sequence where he's taking the canoe back and then fighting outside the house was so harrowing and well-done. Really conveyed his internal struggle and anguish over what he knew he had to do perfectly.

*ALTHOUGH, technically, this was a continuity error wasn't it? He only has the Blades of Chaos in the games that take place pre-God of War 2. In God of War 3 he had the Blades of Athena still, didn't he? It's been a while but that's what I remember.

10. TSLROCKS

Trusted Supporter

Only played about an hour or so so far but I loved it so far. Need to find more time for this

11. Anthony_

As someone who also didn't have a ton of time per day to play the game, I feel your pain. Also, as hard as it might be to find time for, definitely do as much of the side stuff as possible. It's all really cool and you get a ton of amazing lore out of it.

12. Anthony_

The one thing this game really has in common with the Souls games is its ability to convey a ton of great storytelling through the environment alone. Granted, there's a ton of spoken dialogue that also fleshes out the world, like the boat stories, but just wandering around Midgard and stumbling upon something like a lost Dwarven city or a dead giant on a beach with its guts spilling out really gave me a lot of the same vibes I get from exploring From's worlds. It's a remarkable achievement for Sony Santa Monica to replicate even a fraction of that world-building greatness.

SpyKi likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

what about rolling

SpyKi likes this.
  14. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

BOY

This game was fantastic and I loved every minute of it. Only thing I didn't do was the Niflheim grinding because I just don't have the patience for it

Anthony_ and SpyKi like this.
  15. Anthony_

Yeah I would like to close those last three realm tears because I did the other 15 but also I don't want to grind for all those mist echoes. You need tens of thousands to close them all.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

SpyKi likes this.
  17. flask

Trusted Supporter

This is so fun once you really start unlocking new moves and combos. And the exploration is fantastic. I’m taking my sweet time but I also wanna finish ASAP because there’s a few Corey Barlog interviews I want to listen to.

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

GOTY.

Or RDR2

19. Anthony_

Yeah I'm thinking based on what we know is coming out it will be between those two for me as well. We'll have to see what gets announced at E3 though (like, for example, if Starfield is really coming out this year).

20. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Pokemon won't come out this year so this is probably my GOTY

21. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Best game I've played since the Witcher 3. Just incredible storytelling, world building, exploration, and combat

22. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

the only thing that has any chance for me is what From Software are working on.

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

It'll be weird to have a year without Pokemon

25. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Yeah but guessing we will