Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores (January 19,2018) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Churning out those albums; too bad his last two, especially the last one, I just couldn't get into

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

is he running more solo now than doing work with The Frames?

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I don't think he's created anything with them in a long time, that I'm aware of

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

makes sense, i've seen quite a few solo albums pop up but nothing from the frames. I miss the swell season, which i said earlier in the thread, that was probably his best project. TBF I havn't given his solo records much play tbh

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I loved his first two solo albums. The last one just didn't hold my attention. I hope he's uses the upper part of his vocal range more on this record. I think that's really his secret weapon.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  6. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

The first released track is definitely interesting. It doesn't hold the same sort of magnatism I expect from his openers, but I'm not making any assumptions about the record. He's a beast live, if anyone gets the opportunity.

7. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I'm honestly surprised people didn't like this record more, I still think it's great

8. Craig Manning

9. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah I listened to the first half earlier and didn’t like the direction at all. I don’t really have any desire to hear the other half at this point. I agree he is def going against what he does best.

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Last two albums have been duds to me, so not that stoked to hear this, but I will anyways just in case

11. Craig Manning

There was one track I liked a lot in the middle, that sounded more like his older stuff. But yeah, most of this was a miss for me. A lot of super long, meandering tracks that never go anywhere. He sings almost the entire album in this low, whispering, monotone way, and there are no melodies anywhere. Not sure what happened to him, but this just felt like modern folk bullshit.

jdr2187 likes this.
  12. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I don't think it's that bad, kinda reminds me more of the Frames than his solo work. I'll have to spend more time with it though.

13. Craig Manning

I don’t think it’s bad, necessarily. I didn’t want to turn it off or anything. Just don’t have much interest in going back to it.

14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

My favourite Glen Hansard moments are when he lets rip vocally like Leave and When Your Mind's Made Up. The emotion he gets in his voice in those moments is unbelievable. Not keen on hearing monotone and low as vocal descriptions for this one.

15. Craig Manning

That’s what I love about him too. There’s none of that here. And I just don’t get it. If you have that kind of voice, it doesn’t make sense not to use it.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  16. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This album

[​IMG]

17. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I kind of like the last track on the album though

18. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

But yeah, I don't understand this album at all. He's known for having an absolutely incredible voice, and he chose not to use it on this. So weird

19. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

20. derekjd

I had this on in the background while studying today, and turned it off after three tracks. Still have not listened all the way through. Is it worth it? Is there anything redeaming?

21. derekjd

I really haven't found myself going back to the new Hansard at all. Mostly because my time has been spent with the new one from Dermot Kennedy. It feels like if Glen Hansard were taking the direction from the newest Bon Iver (with a little hip hop thrown in). It absolutely sounds strange, but I adore it. If you check out "Glory," you should get a feel for the vibe of the record.
    I mention it in here because (1) Kennedy does the high register voice that we're all missing from Glen on his newest and (2) Kennedy got big when Hansard gave him ten minutes, and use of his band, in a big gig in England.