Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores (January 19,2018) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 28, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]

Side A
    Roll On Slow
    Why Woman
    Wheels on Fire
    Wreckless Heart
    Movin’ On

Side B
    Setting Forth
    Lucky Man
    One of Us Will Lose
    Heart’s Not In It
    Time Will Be The Healer

2. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yes please and thank you. Glen Hansard's voice never fails to impress me.

3. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Nice! Didn't know he was putting out new material.

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I didn't know this either. Had the same experience after his last album!

5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Hard to believe his career really took off 10 years ago already. It's been 11 years since Once. Christ.

6. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Stoked!

7. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I am so excited for this. From the pre-release tracks, looks like he's continuing down the direction he explored on A Season on the Line. More horns, more groove. Can't wait!

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

This is so mellow haha, really enjoying it right now, perfectly suits my mood this morning. I would go as far to say this is probably his most accessible material too, perhaps besides Swell Season.

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The “Thunder Road” reference in the opener makes me really happy.

11. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Not a fan of how depressing/down all the lyrics are; guess that's why the music itself is so mellow too. Just not an enjoyable listen for me. Least favorite of his three albums

12. jdr2187

jdr2187

Yeah so far I think I like it the least also.

13. Craig Manning

I like it, but there's definitely not enough variation in tempo or mood. He rarely uses the part of his voice that I really love, either. Easily his weakest solo disc, I think.

zmtr likes this.
  14. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I really like this, definitely doesn't vary much, but I enjoy its overall vibe. I don't find it depressing though. Think right now I prefer this to R&R, which still feels dreary to me towards the end, but not as much as Ramble.

15. zmtr

Trusted

Rhythm and Repose is my favorite record of his by far. This doesn't touch it and I sadly don't feel the need to listen again.

16. Craig Manning

The first half of Rhythm & Repose is significantly better than the second half, but it’s still a great record overall.

17. zmtr

Trusted

True. Everything from "you will become" (maybe my favorite song of his) through "the storm, it's coming" is basically perfect

18. Craig Manning

I guess the only two I don’t really care for are “Races” and “Philander.” Closing track is great. “High Hope,” though, is probably my favorite Hansard song, at least outside of Once.

Really liked the last record too. I feel like this one will grow on me, but it’s not really what I expected.

zmtr likes this.
  19. zmtr

Trusted

High Hope is phenomenal. The climax gives me goosebumps every time. It's got some major James Taylor vibes IMO.

I don't remember the last record at all. Need to listen again for sure.

Craig Manning likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

Last record is really good. Doesn’t have the same high points, but it’s a solid listen.

I think what this record is really missing is a “High Hope.” It needs some big, grand, emotive uplift in there.

zmtr likes this.
  21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This Gift is his best song imo

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I miss the swell season

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  23. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I read somewhere that a lot of the songs on here were recorded by his touring band right after R&R was released. He went back and rewrote lyrics/rerecorded vocals, but the music itself stayed the same. That's probably why I like this album -- it definitely sounds like his live band, and I love that sound. Listening to it, I think there's some great stuff here that will fill out his live set, but there's not really anything here I'm dying to hear live, if that makes sense? There's no showstopper on this record like High Hopes or his live band version of If Your Mind's Made Up (when those horns come in, it's a damn gamechanger).
    This album is great background music, and it fits in wellwith his other albums. There are a few tunes I like, but I don't put it on and blast it like I did R&R.

24. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

In my book the single best thing this guy ever did is still For the Birds with the Frames. That album is waaay under appreciated.

25. jdr2187

jdr2187

New Glen Hansard coming in April.

Ferrari333SP likes this.