Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glassjaw Band • Page 21

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JM95, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Coloring book is some of the bands best work

2. JM95

Trusted

I'm not as big a fan of the EPs as most people on here. I think Material Control is a step up from both of them.

currytheword likes this.
  3. Kennedy

I’ll take the EPs over Material Control, honestly

4. currytheword

Trusted

To each their own of course. Any support for this band is as good as the rest. Regardless if some don't feel Material Control was unique enough from their previous releases, they're still one of the most original bands to ever come of this scene to date.

5. currytheword

Trusted

*plays bibleland 6 three times in a row*

beachdude42 and JM95 like this.
  6. christsizedshoes

Trusted

GJ's biggest strength to me has always been their melodic complexity; particularly on W&T, widely considered their magnum opus. CB has very little of that. "Black Nurse" and "Gold" are just droning and go nowhere, with some of the most forgettable vocal lines of their career. "Stations" is easily the highlight for me, cause it plays to the strength I just mentioned.

CB is intricate and complex texturally, but that just isn't what interests me about this band. Like I said, I appreciate them trying something different, but I'm very glad MC chose more of the OCG track between the two EPs. "Strange Hours" is straight out of the CB playbook and it's fantastic, so at least there's that.

currytheword likes this.
  7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Black Nurse is one of my favorite songs they’ve ever done... along with the rest of Coloring Book. I think the atmosphere of that track is so amazing. I love Material Control also though, and I appreciate that this band has so much diversity in their relatively small discography while it all still feels like Glassjaw.

8. atlas

Trusted

that's funny bc I've always thought GJ's biggest strength is their RHYTHMIC complexity. Beck is the only musician I'm aware of that writes heavy music so rooted in quarter note triplets and stacking polyrhythms. Gold is one of their very best songs for that reason. Golgotha is another good example. that's the shit that really gets me going. the fact that they can turn around and write something as beautiful as Daytona White is just icing on the cake

9. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Couldn’t disagree more about Black Nurse and Gold going nowhere or having forgettable vocals. I actually think those are some of my favorite performances by Daryl, and he’s able to add to the menacing pulse of a song like Black Nurse while still putting his own signature stamp on the instrumental... I actually think his vocals go a long way to making those tracks still feel like Glassjaw.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Same here. That's why songs like "Gold" and "Miracle In Inches" just clicked with me immediately.

I'm loving that a lot of us have different reasons for loving this band though. They really have so much to offer.

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Also, that live set video is awesome. That transition from Bartender into Lennon is perfect.

12. currytheword

Trusted

I was getting mad cause I couldn't figure out why I was unable to find the setlist for the show I was talking about. It was the same day that Our Color Green was (officially) released, and they had been making big waves with the weird viral marketing they had going for it by releasing videos of them playing those songs in rooms with Daryl having his back to the camera a lot. I mark that as their big return. Their first release since W&T. Those songs were such a big deal to me and for that EP to be released on New Years Day, the same day I was going to see them for the first time, made me a nut job. Then they played the Coloring Book EP as the encore and I was losing my shit. Might've cried.

Glassjaw Setlist at Best Buy Theater, New York

The reason I couldn't find it at first was because I was looking for setlists under the Playstation Theater, not realizing the show was so long ago (1/1/11) it was before the venue was sold and changed the name from the Best Buy Theater. Anyways, i'm getting fucking old.

13. currytheword Aug 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 20, 2018)
    currytheword

Trusted

Also, i'm just getting a chance to watch that Pukkelpop set now. Did they lose another bassist? :( Most definitely not the guy I saw them play with this past fall.

14. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I don't disagree on the rhythmic complexity. My favorites def have that element in addition to the melodic stuff (Mu Empire, Natural Born Farmer, Golgotha, etc.). However, if you take the adventurous vocal melodies and mindfuck chord progressions out of GJ, that's a big loss to me. And CB is the one time they kind of turned away from that. "Gold" is rhythmically interesting, but I've prob listened to it about 3 times since the first month CB was out because there's melodically nothing to it. MC manages to do both consistently and I fucking love it.

currytheword likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The fuck Black Nurse is amazing

16. Kennedy

if Coloring Book isnt musically interesting to you, i dont even know lol

17. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Well at least now you all know how I felt when some people here were super disappointed by MC lol

And I didn't say CB is musically uninteresting, but melodically uninteresting. Def stand behind that for Black Nurse, Gold, and Miracle, at minimum... pedestrian chord sequences and some of the blander vocal melodies in their discography. Lots of texture, sonic experimentation and rhythmic complexity? Sure.

currytheword likes this.
  18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The guitar is BN is hypnotic af

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. currytheword

Trusted

That's a bit of hyperbole imo. It's good, but Beck has been better.

20. Kennedy

Really think we need to sit down and chat about people’s bad takes on Coloring Book EP

21. currytheword

Trusted

Or we could bracket this shit out.

Kingjohn_654 and Kennedy like this.
  22. Kennedy

I could be staring 1000 people down who hate Coloring Book EP and I would still stand in confidence that it is a 10/10 release so I don’t think that will work

23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Coloring Book EP
    Material Control
    Worship & Tribute
    Our Color Green
    EYEWTKAS

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

W&T
    OCG
    CB