Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glassjaw Band • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by JM95, Apr 3, 2016.

1. christsizedshoes

Trusted

W&T > MC > OCG > CB ~ EYEW

2. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

What does ~ mean

3. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

it means disregard that post because its wrong

4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

damn, last thursday was national coloring book day and we all slept.

PUT IT ON SPOTIFY

5. currytheword

Trusted

New album still holds up upon revisits. Love dis band.

beachdude42 and christsizedshoes like this.
  6. JM95

Trusted

Glassjaw being this active is a real mindfuck.

Also, the choruses on this album rule.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Bumping so I remember to watch that later

currytheword likes this.
  8. Crisp X Aug 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 19, 2018)
    A new proshot live set is always something to celebrate :

9. JM95

Trusted

Saw them last night at Brixton Academy in London. Was... a little disappointing. Nothing really to do with the band - they seemed to be on great form - but the sound was pretty bad. Very loud and muddy. Vocals were drowned out and even Beck wasn't really cutting through.

The energy in their live performance is there though, which hasn't always been the case.

10. 5Stories

Regular

Yeah kinda agree. Wasn't sure if it was me being sober/not that in the mood or that something seemed a bit off. Brixton is always horrible for sound in my experience. I liked how they just raced through so many songs and barely took a breath though.

JM95 likes this.
  11. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Why is there only like 20 people there? So weird.

Petit nain des Îles and Kennedy like this.
  12. Kennedy

That’s what I’m saying.

13. JM95

Trusted

They were on very early, I think. They had to fly over to the UK for a festival headlining slot later that day so I think that performance must have been very early on.

14. currytheword

Trusted

Glassjaw will forever be underappreciated. Amazing comeback album, still absolutely captivating live, but the generation below me doesn't give a flying fuck. Their long absence didn't help, but the reasons why were warranting.

15. Kennedy

They’re also just weird with the things they do sometimes. Take the coloring book ep for example. You can’t buy any physical copies of it from them, they don’t have it on streaming. They even filmed a coloring book DVD that is on YouTube but like I have no idea where the person that uploaded it got it lol.

beachdude42 likes this.
  16. atlas

Trusted

They are so fucking on it, good god. Even if Daryl didn't sound good anymore (which, I don't get how people can hear him these days and say that), they would *still* be one of the best live bands around on the basis of Beck/Chad Hasty/whoever's playing bass at the time being as tight instrumentally as a band can possibly get

currytheword likes this.
  17. Kennedy

Daryl sounds unreal in that video and Beck is literally one of the best guitarists I’ve ever seen

18. JM95

Trusted

Beck is a genius. Daryl would be my favourite member if he was in most other bands but Beck is unbelievable.

Kingjohn_654 and aoftbsten like this.
  19. This line up is so tight. My only gripe about their recent sets is the lack of Coloring Book songs, but it must be too tricky to include them in their setlist and to make transitions as smooth as they currently are, if they have to swap instruments multiple times. The rhode/piano thing Beck used to play this EP with looked so huge, and that has to be a pain in the ass to travel with on a regular touring basis.

beachdude42 likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Idk Darryl has always sounded amazing to me, and that live video above only reinforces that.

Kingjohn_654 and beachdude42 like this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Although I’m disappointed Daryl isn’t really moving a whole lot. I’ve always heard how energetic he is.

22. Mr Vesanic, the guy that uploaded it, had the chance to see the real show at the time, and then the screening of it if I recall correctly. During the latter, the band offered a DVD to everyone, with the weird surprise being that it didn't include the non-Coloring Book part of the show, probably because of Warner.

23. currytheword

Trusted

I like it, but the Coloring Book EP, in my own opinion, doesn’t hold a flame to the new album. I saw them make their huge comeback years ago. They played an insane set at the PlayStation theater in NYC, and then the encore was the entire Coloring Book EP which at that point no one knew even existed. It was available some time shortly thereafter and I bought it immediately. The songs aren’t as pulling as they were live, but it’s very different and experimental for GJ and Beck is all about originality. I found that hearing songs like Shira live for the first time were near chilling and felt more like a natural progression for the band’s sound, rather than trying hard to play in left field.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  24. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I couldn't have said it better. CB was a really cool experiment, but it's easily the release I visit least often (other than EYEW). "Trying hard to play in left field" is the perfect summary.

MC is such a natural progression from W&T and OCG, so I don't understand why it's gotten so much pushback and longtime fans act like it's the record that threw a big curveball.

currytheword likes this.
  25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think that's the first time I've seen Material Control referred to as big curveball, to be honest. I'd say the biggest complaints I've read about it is that the songs don't feel as fresh as previous material and it all starts to blend together. I still really enjoy it, but I prefer where they were headed on Coloring Book.

Ironically, I think the some of the best songs on it seem to be progressions from where they were going on Coloring Book ("Strange Hours", "Golgotha").