Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Glass (M. Night Shyamalan; January 18, 2019) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Apr 25, 2018.

1. manoverboard365

Trusted

That video review has made me a lot more optimistic.

2. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Why do you not want to see Split?...

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Hm. I heard it was more like Split.

4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Yeah, probably. As a comic book fan, having read random issues without context as a kid & pieces of event crossovers without reading everything as an adult... I'm fine with that experience.

Dunno. I really like James McAvoy & Anya Taylor-Joy, but that film just doesn't interest me. Cool that other people dig it.

coleslawed likes this.
  5. Fair enough. I think most of us here really dug it, so if you're ever thinking about watching it, I'd say go for it.

6. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah...you should watch Split just because it's a good movie.

Cameron likes this.
  7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I mean between Thoroughbreds and Split I'm hoping Anya Taylor-Joy can make a big name for herself so I encourage everyone to see Split

Just seems like a very random thing to not want to see, especially since you like Unbreakable

trevorshmevor likes this.
  8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Heard mostly good things about Split but a couple of people have said it was pretty ableist, that turned me off from seeing it easily

9. Tim

Thoroughbreds was great. My third favorite film last year, after Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse & The Rider.

Maybe she'll make her big name with... *checks release schedule* ...New Mutants? Too bad, she's pretty perfect for the role of Magik, but who knows what the heck is happening there.

10. Tim

Forgot about that. Maybe that subconsciously affected my interest, even after forgetting about that criticism. Though, I also don't remember having much interest before that, tbh.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  11. The ableist implications are valid. That angle probably applies to The Visit and maybe even Unbreakable as well. Presenting evil and terror at the expense of a mental illness or disability seems like a common trope in horror and supervillain stories.

12. Tim

I'll have to see how I feel after rewatching Unbreakable, since I watched that long before I knew the term "ableist." From what I recall, I feel like Glass's disability was used to humanize him? Not to make him "other." See: https://www.themarysue.com/fiskal-responsibilty/

Though, being reminded of that angle... I hope whatever they do with McAvoy in Glass doesn't ruin this movie for me.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  13. You may be right. I haven't seen Unbreakable in many years but was planning on re-watching it before seeing Glass. Thanks for the link.

14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Split definitely is at its core a really gross portrayal of mental illness as evil and trauma as a force for causing that evil, and from what I’ve read a lot of the criticism from Glass is that it takes some of those tropes up to eleven and makes some other disturbing additions to its portrayals of the same issues. I can’t actually find a full spoiler for the life of me though, so I don’t know exactly how bad it is.

15. Serh Jan 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This was kind of a bust. It's not as interesting (beyond some flourishes here and there) as it's trying to be, but the thing that really kills it for me is - what else - a big enough reveal towards the end that I imagine people will be torn on, but for me I wish they went with something else. I worry that if you watch Unbreakable or maybe Split again after seeing this, it could potentially make the movie(s) a little worse. Sucks because M. Night is clearly proud of what he put together here, and I wanted this to be capped off in a great way. Ah well

Zilla likes this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Whatever critic said this was like “Unbreakable” must be out of their mind. It has none of the restraint, pacing or emotion. I’m fairly confident Bruce Willis must have been on set for no more than three days of this too.

This isn’t like “Split” or “Unbreakable” and is really only saved by James McAvoy and Samuel L. Jackson’s commitment to the material. M. Night is just really bad at subversion and that seems all that he was trying to do here and beyond the first 20 minutes, not a whole lot of it works.

jkauf likes this.
  18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I really liked this lol idk, it falls apart the more you think about it but on a purely scene-by-scene basis I was constantly gripped and engaged and that is all I ask of Shyamalan

aoftbsten and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  19. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

complaints about Bruce Willis being unengaged are fairly valid, but I love how Shyamalan threw these three characters into a melting pot together and immediately realised which of the two people wanted to see. there's just not much David Dunn can do in a movie like this and it goes full ball into fleshing out the two villains instead, with the two most horrifying scenes being flashbacks to their respective childhoods

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I feel like it didn’t flesh out any characters. Those flashbacks didn’t add anything to what we already knew from “Unbreakable” and “Split” - that Mr. Glass breaks easily and McAvoy’s character was abused.

21. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

More excited for this now, rarely disagree with Kermode.

22. michael_gatto

Trusted

You should watch The Witch, she's incredible. Really hope she gets some big roles soon.

23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

I thought this was okay until the first reveal and then it was shit.

Zilla likes this.
  24. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Weird movie. Lots of characters straight up stating what the theme/purpose of a particular moment was but the thing is, for the moments that didn’t happen, I had no idea what to make of it.

Also, Bruce Willis seemed like he was trying to give it his all but 10 years of phoning it in warped his ability to do so. And Sarah Paulson was trying so hard but her character was wildly underwritten.

DickyCullz likes this.

25. We need Janitor's opinion on Split and Glass.

coleslawed and Kingjohn_654 like this.