Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Giving Star Ratings the Thumbs Down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Caroline O’Donovan, writing for BuzzFeed, on why star ratings are awful:

The other problem is that not everyone can agree on what the star ratings mean — not even the companies themselves. Lyft says that five stars means “awesome,” four means “OK, could be better,” and three means “below average.” But for Uber, five stars is “excellent,” four is “good,” and three is “OK.”

Individuals have different interpretations, too. “For some people, three could mean this is good, while four is great and five is perfect. Some people might say, nowhere is going to be perfect, so I’m going to say five stars is really good, and four is good,” Celis said. “The way you can interpret those stars is infinite, and most people don’t have the exact same system.”

Agreed completely. Moving to a more descriptive system was one of the first things I did when redesigning this website.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

[​IMG]

Still the definitive music rating scale

3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

I tend to agree that a 5-point ranking is worthless. Take Untappd for instance, where very rarely do I rank any beer below a 3 unless it's absolutely god awful. I think Netflix's change to the :thumbup: or :thumbdown: rating was a good move and will give a more accurate depiction of the good vs bad.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Netflix's change was a great decision. People are going to be way more inclined to check out movies and decide for themselves what they think about it

Davjs and Jason Tate like this.
  5. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

The show Review would not exist without star ratings so excuuuuuse me

trevorshmevor and Turkeylegz like this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Still correct though