Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Girls (HBO) TV Show • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by SpyKi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Gotta agree it was a weird ending, but definitely disagree with it being Apatow-esque, or the idea that being Apatow-esque is a bad thing

2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Wish I liked that final episode more.

3. 5Stories Apr 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2017)
    5Stories

Regular

I liked it as a normal episode, or season finale, but not sure about series finale. It felt like last week's was a more natural way for it to end. I mean this episode just told us that things are really scary for Hannah, and Hannah is still the same Hannah she has always been, but there's a faint glimmer that things may turn out ok. Which is where we were at the end of episode 9, no?

Also I feel like Hannah/Elijah deserved more resolution as they were ultimately super close throughout the show (and because I love Elijah). I guess it all feels open to carrying on the story with a movie a few years down the line (or better yet an Elijah spinoff), and I'd enjoy that a lot.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

It has that stealth Apatow conservatism. An entire series about young women developing themselves independent of the classical routes of marriage and early motherhood, and then it ends with the most free-spirited character becoming a mother and learning to like it. The scene where Hannah realizes she is talking about herself when she is yelling at the teenager is a bad trope.

Aregala likes this.
  5. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Episode 9 would have been a great ending. Its a shame too because I thought this season was a nice rebound. This was a struggle to watch.

Can we talk about the acting of the girl Hannah found at the side of the road? Seriously, its the season finale, you can't cast that better? It felt like I was watching a 35 year old SNL actress playing an exaggerated teenager is a skit.

fronkensteen, mad, Mick and 3 others like this.
  6. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

He was the one who came up with the "latching" plot according to the Inside The Episode. So you nailed it

Mick and Aregala like this.
  7. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Mmmmmmmm god dammit

truelovewaits likes this.
  8. Larry David

It's no Sopranos or Dexter but it was a pretty big letdown for an ending

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I really, really hated this. Especially disappointing after episodes 8 and 9 being so great.

And while mostly unrelated, it airing right after The Leftovers was so perfect could not have helped my opinion lol.

SLADE775 likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

Are you saying that the Sopranos ending was a letdown?

11. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

I never really watched this show religiously, just every now and then I'd catch an episode. But that series finale was awful. I don't like this trend of low key finales.

Shows are not remembered by their premiers.

12. Larry David

Of course

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

14. SLADE775

This sounds weird, and as I said I'm not big into this show, but was the baby black?

15. Larry David

I thought the baby seemed darker than I expected for Hannah and the father. I just didn't want to say anything, because people are easily offended at just about everything these days haha. Knowing Lena, she probably did it intentionally haha

16. SLADE775

There's nothing to be offended by, it's just an observation. It wasn't mentioned in the show?

17. irthesteve

The dad is of Pakistani descent, so that's why the baby was dark. If we're going to debate the darkness of one ethnicity vs another I don't really think that takes our thread anywhere positive

18. Larry David Apr 17, 2017
    Larry David

See the quote below. Clearly people see that as "negative" Also, the Internet has a ton of stuff about the fact that she used a black baby, so we're not the only people who noticed

19. Larry David Apr 17, 2017
    Larry David

Well, being that I'm white and have 2 boys with someone who is Colombian, I figured I'd be someone who could discuss it first hand. Whether you perceive it as negative or not, it's just an observation as someone who has bi-racial babies myself. Sorry to offend you though

20. irthesteve

not offended, but thanks for your concern

21. SLADE775

My wife is Mexican.

22. Larry David

Just making sure. You're one of my favorite posters on site. Not trying to get on anyone's
    Bad side

23. SLADE775

But that was a black baby for sure. Wonder what the idea was there? Are we supposed to wonder who the father really is?

I'm just curious.

24. Larry David

That's what I'm wondering is if there was an underlying plot line. The baby was black, correct. There are theories around on whether it was intentional

25. irthesteve