Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters Trailer #2 • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 18, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Bridesmaids and Spy

Jason Tate and Jacob Davidson like this.
  2. Raku

Regular

That's because we are at a point where even if someone raises legitimate concerns, or some glaring issue someone will be quick to point out that they must be sexist, or some shit like that.

Hell it could be fucking Adam Sandler and friends behind (and staring in) this reboot, and I would still raise issues with the film. Gender has nothing to do with it. Now, are there some sexist pigs out there attacking this film, sure, but they are a very minuscule factor (a speck of dust in the fast space of the universe) just as there are racists out there who will be attacking the new Black Panther film for be 90% black. But I can fucking bet you that Black Panther will be a success, and if it isn't, it has nothing to do with race. It's just that we have to preface our arguments because people are quick to pull out a strawman to be little our legitimate issues that we have with the film.

devenstonow and Thursdaysox like this.
  3. rst

Regular

There are definitely a lot of people who are sexist and hate that women are in it and want it to fail for those reasons. There are also many other people (like myself) who viewed the trailer and think it looks bad regardless of the gender of the stars. Since the news post is centered around people wanting to bring down the film because its stars are women, those of us who dont feel that way but also think it looks like a bad are simply prefacing our posts in order to not be associated with those douche bags. Like i said in my original posts i hope the movie is a big hit if its good and i hope it bombs if its bad. When the few positive posts in this thread refer to the trailer as "fine" thats not a good look, and I may be wrong but i dont think there is a single person who said they think the movies looks funny/good.

Raku, Thursdaysox and devenstonow like this.
  4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I think it's funny how people act like their preconceived notions don't affect the way they view the film/trailer.
    If you were so excited and full on board for a female reboot I DOUBT you saw the trailer and thought "WOW THIS IS TRASH IM SO DONE NOT GIVING IT A CHANCE"
    However if you were skeptical at first (whether you claim it was just because of the reboot or because of the female cast) the trailer is going to be a lot harder to please you. Then when you're "proved right", you can point to the trailer as justification.

The amount of denial regarding this movie is astounding to be honest.

Jacob Davidson likes this.
  5. Serh May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 21, 2016)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Jesus...

EDIT: apparently the post I was referring to got deleted

6. You could just ... not say anything and achieve literally this very thing. Given that that part of post isn't about you if you're not part of the internet that is being sexist assholes.

7. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

The only interest I really have in this are for the cameos of Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and Annie Potts, and hopefully a tribute to Harold Ramis.

The closest we'll ever get to a true third film is the 2009 Video Game.

8. rst

Regular

Yes, which I would have done if you had simply posted the trailer of the movie. However, your discussion post specifically focuses on the gender of the stars. You literally made the discussion about gender so of course people are going to discuss that aspect and how they view the movie from the limited parts shown. So as I said two other times, regardless of the gender I hope the movie is a hit if it's good and not if it isn't. The trailers don't look good, although the movie as a whole could still be good. If the movie comes out and it's horrible do you still want it to be a big hit because people were sexist?

9. No my post focuses on the sexist idiots on the Internet.

To the last question: Yes.

10. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

the international trailer is probably the best yet.

Personally I'll be stocking up on Ecto Cooler and reading the reviews as they come in, I feel I might get more laughs and enjoyment from those than I will the movie.

11. DooDooBird

Trusted

Ecto Cooler is supposed to be hitting shelves around May 30th. Um. I'm 10x more pumped about that than I am about this movie.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Trailers are ads for movies. The teams behind cutting trailers can manipulate the entire movie to seem like something it completely isn't. They can present an entirely different tone, highlight whatever lines or jokes they want, hell, the footage they're using might not even make the movie (the Nice Guys and Civil War trailers featured lines/shots that didn't make the final cut). The people who cut movie trailers 99% of the time have absolutely nothing to do with the filmmakers, they have no communication, their jobs are entirely different. The team that put together the Ghostbusters trailer did not do a great job. But their job was to create an ad for the movie. Just like Taco Bell and Mercedes have teams that make ads for their products. Taco Bell food can look amazing in a TV spot, but we all still know it's Taco Bell. A Mercedes looks great in a Super Bowl commercial, but no one is buying it based on the ad, they're buying it based on the Mercedes brand, reviews, personal preference, etc. So when you see a movie trailer, realize it has only the most fleeting and glancing relationship to what the movie ultimately will be. If you have any feelings about the franchise, cast, or creative teams, that's what matters more. This movie has Paul Feig (Freaks & Geeks, Bridesmaids, Spy) and Katie Dippold (the Heat, Parks & Recreation) behind it, with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth in the cast. Kristen Wiig is one of the funniest people on the planet, Kate McKinnon is consistently an SNL standout, and while Melissa McCarthy is clearly divisive, she has natural comic chops and certainly can be funny, however much of a fan you may be (I for one am a supporter). That's a really, really solid background this film is coming from. I don't know if it's going to be good, but there are bad trailers every week, bad trailers for beloved franchises and properties, and while no one is saying it's sexist to not like the trailer, really examine where that negativity is coming from, on a personal level and in the widespread reaction.

Also, fuck the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. rst

Regular

The only reason there is sexist idiots is because of the gender of the cast, which you explicitly state in the post.

I think it's counterproductive that you want it to be a big hit even if the movies sucks. Women are just as funny and talented as men and have made movies just as good/better than men. I'd love for society to grow up where people could judge things on the merits and not hope somethings fails merelt because women are behind it (sexist assholes) or succeed merely because women are behind it (you). So again, I hope the movie is a big hit if it's good and bombs if it sucks.

14. Movie's fail and succeed for things far from anyone's subjective "merit" all the time. What you wish for is the myth of meritocracy, it's not reality. Great movies see no success, awful movies make millions. Given that reality, I have no problem wishing for success based on whatever subjective criteria I feel like. I want the movie to be a success because I want there to be some pissed off sexist idiots online, my feelings on the quality of the movie are removed from that.

NotBruce likes this.
  15. NotBruce

Regular

This trailer is better than the first, and it literally follows the exact same lines as any other comedy trailer. The movie looks as good as Neighbors 2 or any other movie in that type of comedy. It's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.