Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters Trailer #2 • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 18, 2016.

1. BleedingDodgerBlue

This does not look good at all. I have watched some of the Midnight's Edge Ghostbusters stories and it seems very believable about what has been happening. Check them out, there are 3 total.

Thursdaysox likes this.
  2. You should read this: The Outcry Against the All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Remake Gets Louder

AshlandATeam likes this.
  3. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

To me, part of the problem is this film was on and off so many times over the past decade, it just seemed like no one was on the same page when it came to developing this, and that stole a lot of the momentum away. Couple that with Harold Ramis' death, the oversaturation of recent remakes/reboots, and the attachment to a film with such a cult following, and the air kinda came out of the balloon with this film for a lot of the old fans even before the cast was announced or any trailers had been released. It was starting behind the 8-ball from the get-go.

Raku likes this.
  4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I feel like people are missing the fact that the first trailer is the single most 'disliked' video in YouTube's history.

I
    cannot imagine any of the excuses people are giving accounting for that. It doesn't look funny? Okay. People are sick of remakes? Fine. Some fans are purists and want what was done in the past left alone? I can buy that.

But the above paragraph describes dozens and dozens of movies over the last decade. They are common complaints. And yet this movie has risen above the pack and received the single most down votes in the history of YouTube. There is something that's causing more people to express their displeasure with this than not only any trailer on the Internet, but any VIDEO on the Internet.

It seems really hard to say with a straight face this isn't because of rampant sexism. And the rush to say otherwise sounds an awful lot like the 'not all men' garbage that gets brought up any time anyone tries to speak up on sexism anywhere. It's possible that this movie will be terrible; but if it is, then it doesn't deserve any more anger, scrutiny or criticism than a hundred other terrible movies released each year.

5. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I'd bet if this was an all male cast remake he wouldn't say shit.

6. JLBagnall

For me it has nothing to do with the female cast and everything to do with it just looking bad. I am a huge Ghostbusters fan and the first film is one of my all time favourites but I enjoy very little about these trailers. It all looks too predictable, cheesy and family friendly (probably to try and appeal to everyone and sell toys etc). The ghosts should look scary, not ridiculous. They look like something out of scooby doo. The originals got the perfect balance between being a scary adult film with some subtle humour which was really really innapropriate and not suitable for a younger audiance but would go over a childs head (Bill Murray trying to get students to go out with him and being a massive sex pest for example, or Dan Ackroyd getting head from a ghost) and having things for the family. From the trailers I can't see that being the case with this. The biggest concern for me however is the sheer amount of CGI. In the first trailer there is a shot where even the proton packs look like they are CGI. I hate the overuse of CGI in films these days. It made the Star Wars prequals look horrific and this feels like those to me. All shiny and too perfect and weird looking. I really hope I am wrong and I am sure I will watch it but its unlikely I will pay to see it at the cinema.

Raku and Thursdaysox like this.
  7. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I'm not upset about it being women, I'm upset that Leslie Jones is taking her one trick pony show to Ghostbusters. Same as SNL, she'll just have black stereotype jokes the whole movie. She's easily the worst character on SNL right now.

8. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

I am SO sick of Melissa McCarthy. Has she ever been funny outside of Bridesmaids? This trailer looks awful to me, but I am most certainly biased because I don't understand why people like her. And yes, I've seen Spy. And Identity Thief. And Tammy.

9. Liz

Ew, David

Check facebook comments, Mr. Movie Expert. That's where I've seen all the hate.

10. Sander

kflkmflkm

how can anyone think mcCarthy is funny ?

Raku, mattylikesfilms and Thursdaysox like this.
  11. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Looking forward to it. I don't think it will be bad, but regardless I'm glad they went with a female cast. Though I'm already exhausted from men trying to assure me they're not sexist, then going on to act over-the-top pissed off.

AshlandATeam and Nick like this.
  12. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

13. pwise55

I love Wiig and Kate Mckinnon but man this looks like a steaming turd. A selfie stick joke? Race Jokes? it looks so slapstick and Leslie Jones is just THE WORST. I can't wait to see when Melissa McCarthy falls over awkwardly and hilarity ensues. Unfairly or not, It's impossible not to compare to the iconic original

Raku, slimfenix182 and Thursdaysox like this.
  14. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

I'll wait and see how it fairs on RT. I don't think it looks great, but I love Mckinnon, so I'm hoping it'll be solid. I have a feeling a lot of people are just tired of hearing about feminism 30 times a day, so some of this stuff just starts to seem like it's just being jammed down your throat.

mattylikesfilms and Thursdaysox like this.
  15. Welp, I am looking forward to seeing this.

Jason Tate and AshlandATeam like this.
  16. lolfpcmlol

Regular

I think this looks great. I mean hell, it's the team behind Bridesmaids and Spy and both of those movies were hilarious. The hate really does come from all the female reboot aspect which is just absurd. I'd bet even those who insist they don't like it because it just isn't funny have been influenced by all the noise. (however, the movies not out yet so maybe it really will be horrible. I think the trailers and cast is great though so i'm looking forward to it).

17. AutopilotYears

Regular

i haven't seen a single person complain about this movie having women in it, everything negative i've seen is because it looks awful.

18. Liz

Ew, David

Jacob Davidson and Jason Tate like this.
  19. AutopilotYears

Regular

well yeah, if you go digging for trash you'll probably find it. i'm sure i can find you a ton of people who believe we've never been to the moon or that lizard people run the government too but that doesn't mean its the prevailing opinion.

JLBagnall, Raku and Schooner like this.
  20. Cornerb0y

Load"*",8,1

I have been a major fan of Ghostbusters since I was about 3 (lets say 1987 or so), and I absolutely don't care if the new team is male or female. The only problem I have is that I do not want the Ghostbusters tarnished. I know a lot of people bash GBII, but its really not as bad as every one says it is (in fact, I rather enjoy it quite a bit). Currently, I don't feel one way or the other about the feature, and won't put out a full opinion until the feature is actually released. That being said, bring on the Ecto Cooler (btw Cinemark has exclusive rights to distribute Ecto Cooler in theaters, so drink it up! Should be available within the next week or two).

Thursdaysox and Raku like this.
  21. Liz

Ew, David

You (and others) said that you had never seen a single person complain about the movie having women in it, and I was just pointing out that there have been quite a few people who have complained about it. I never said it was the dominant opinion.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. DooDooBird

Trusted

I agree with his gripe about the movie being called Ghostbusters and nothing else. Something about that bothers me. The title needs to be "Ghostbusters: [insert whatever cheesy name you can think of]".

Schooner likes this.
  23. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Notice how every comment has to begin with it has nothing to do with them being women.

24. AutopilotYears

Regular

yeah and that was true, i haven't actually seen anyone complain about the movie having women in it, i didn't say that no one did just meant that it isn't anywhere near as common as some people like to make it out to be.

Raku likes this.
  25. DesolateEarth

Birb

I mean I can't speak for everyone here, but I personally was not denying that sexism exists as a reason for this movie being attacked. However, I have zero interest in a 2016 Ghostbusters Reboot and would likely not see this movie regardless of who was playing the lead parts in it.

Raku, slimfenix182 and Jacob Davidson like this.