Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters Trailer #2 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 18, 2016.

1. Liz

Ew, David

I've seen a ton of people online (outside of this site) who definitely have a problem with it being a female cast

2. DooDooBird

Trusted

This doesn't look funny at all. And the CGI just doesn't do it for me. The part where Al Roker shows up reminds me of Sharknado or something. I have my doubts about this. It's a shame because I generally love all things Ghostbusters. The whole rock concert part of this trailer is just painfully bad and unfunny. Hoping this is gonna be better than it looks.

3. farva2

Regular

Sold based on the cast, director , and property. Trailers are so-so but that sure as he'll isn't stopping me from seeing it.

4. simonthm

I read a ton of different websites about movies constantly and I have yet to see anyone say anything, anywhere, about the genders of the stars. That narrative is such an overblown, fabricated storyline to create controversy and grab headlines (I see Jason Tate took the bait).

This movie just looks fucking terrible. Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones are playing the exact tired, character archetypes you would expect (overweight/clumsy comic relief & loud/angry black woman). Shame on the writers. This will bomb and deservedly so.

Kizwiz, LukeColdBlue and Raku like this.
  5. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I'm angry that there is a foreigner playing the secretary! #drumpf20NO

I think the issue is that instead of just being a reboot they decided to pay homage to the originals in the first trailer only to show slapstick humor with what appears to be some bad writing which takes away from the originals. If Paul Feig could have made this an R rated movie, it would probably look better. But receiving a PG to PG-13 means he has to pull punches.

For example, I think the comedic styles of Maya Rudolph, Kristen Bell, Emma Stone, Aisha Tyler, Mila Kunis, Jessica Williams, Chloe Moretz, etc would of been better suited to replicate the original personally.

lightning13, Raku and beachdude42 like this.
  6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I hope it's at least in the same vein of the original ala a realistic world (with ghosts I know). I just don't want it to be joke punchline, joke punchline, with ghostbusters tied in. I love all the actresses though

7. DooDooBird

Trusted

I hate that part where Leslie Jones jumps off stage and lands on the floor and says the line about being a black woman. Why even have the character acknowledge this? I just don't get that.

Kizwiz and Raku like this.
  8. Schooner

Trusted

Fair enough. I guess I just don't go to the right places or know anyone that was outraged

I'm gonna wait til DVD for this one.

The BFG, Independance day 2 (final verdict TBD upon a trailer viewing) and even The Shallows (wouldn't have expected this from myself before I saw trailer) are only things capable of taking my money in the next few months

What happened to a Tintin sequel

fenway89 likes this.
  9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I'm probably too close to this to be reasonable - Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies of all time, I've read the comics for years, I have the symbol tattooed on me, etc. I'm definitely the main audience for this.

But it seems like people forever wanted there to be a third movie. Then it was announced, and people complained about the cast before they saw anything else. Then it became the literal most unliked video in YouTube history. Worse than any Transformers; worse than any Adam Sandler movie; worse than any music video ever; worse than any awful opinion by any awful person online. This - this is the video that's the most unliked.

It seems like there's an awful lot of misogynistic smoke for there not to be a pretty big fire. And it seems like there are a lot of people all over the Internet saying 'I'm not sexist, but this thing everyone wanted is suddenly worth complaining about more than all the awful things out there. But only because of its quality, which I know nothing about because all I've seen is 4 minutes of previews.'

I dunno. It seems like the simplest answer is the right one, and most of the strong negative opinions are based in sexism. But like I said - I'm this movie's dream audience and I'd defend it no matter what probably. So who knows.

10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I definitely think some of the negative opinions out there are rooted in sexism, but that doesn't mean all are. I for one think the trailers look awful, and I have yet to laugh at anything I've seen in them. Most of the people I've talked to seem passive on the movie because it doesn't look good and they're tired of reboots, not because of the female cast.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. If it ends up being good, more power to them. But I'm not gonna root for a movie that doesn't look promising to me just because some shitty people online are sexist.

11. TDenverFan

Regular

Not a fan of Melissa McCarthy, but it doesn't look that bad. I don't tend to see movies in theaters unless they really interest me, but I'll definitely pick it up at RedBox at some point.

12. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I'm sure some weirdos are mad it has women. I'm mad that it looks terrible. Ready for it to crash and burn.

Kizwiz and Raku like this.
  13. shawnhyphenray

Regular

People aren't complaining that it's all female. It's the specific cast that they don't like and it also just looks terrible.

Also that fact that the original was all men and someone decided to completely reverse it to all women is reverse sexism.

That's what people are complaining about. Not because it's female.

Kizwiz, Raku and Schooner like this.
  14. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

lol. It's definitely because it's all female.

There was a thread on Reddit where whiny pissbabies were mad because Robin Wright asked for a raise on HoC.

HOW DARE A WOMAN BE PAID AS MUCH AS A MAN? IM ANGRY!!!!

AshlandATeam likes this.
  15. Your second paragraph is literally doing what you said no one is doing. That level of cognitive dissonance is outstanding.

16. Casadilla

Paul Feig hasn't made a bad movie yet, imo. I have confidence that the movie will be good, but yes, the trailers themselves have been lackluster.

17. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Kate McKinnon is so goddamn funny. Hope this role shoots her into the stratosphere.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I just really wish McCarthy and Wiig wasn't in this.

McCarthy is awful. She was hilarious in Bridesmaids but that's literally it for me. I already can tell what her "jokes" will consist of.

Wiig is hilarious but her character seems all wrong for her. If she was playing a role like McKinnon was playing (Kate is the best!) then yeah sure.

I wish they cast unknowns for the two leads.

Kizwiz likes this.
  19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

She's the best thing SNL has right now.

20. LukeColdBlue

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing",

Regardless of gender and ignorant misogynists, the movie (going off the trailer) looks absolutely abysmal. The "humor" is painful.

mattylikesfilms, Kizwiz and Raku like this.
  21. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Oh yeah. She's one of my favorite cast members of all time at this point.

As for the movie, I will be stoked on anything Paul Fieg does based solely on his involvement in Heavyweights / Freaks and Geeks.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  22. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I'm gonna go for the cast, because these trailers haven't been great. But comedy movie trailers can sometimes try to be saving the good jokes for the movie. So i'm still in, but I understand why some people may be scared of the movie because of them

23. No one said everyone. If it's not referring to you, why would you get so upset?

PandaBear! and AshlandATeam like this.
  24. I highly doubt anyone has actually written that.

It's exhausting? Because you have to choose to not read some words? What?

25. Raku

Regular

It's funny because Jame Rolfe (Angry Video Game Nerd) says as a huge fan he has no intentions of watching the film because he feels like it goes against what Ghostbusters was to him. He didn't mention gender/sex at all, but people called him a sexist pig for putting out this video (where again, he doesn't mention gender at all).

Thursdaysox and bd007h like this.