Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters (Paul Feig, 2016) Movie • Page 40

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 3, 2016.

1. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

His quote from yesterday was shitty but in all fairness he said almost the exact same thing as that tweet verbatim when this was announced

2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Feig’s too busy giving us the A Simple Favor universe, god willing

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Right. That's what I said. This is the first time he's apologized for his comments about his new movie since he started promoting it weeks ago. He's clearly only doing it now because his new comments have generated a fresh batch of criticism after the previous criticism had died down.

4. kbeef2 Feb 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 21, 2019)
    kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’m saying when he promoted it weeks ago, he said something to the effect of he respected GB2016 and Paul and the cast. He didn’t really have anything to apologize for until the shitty “back to the fans” thing yesterday AFAIK.

5. Feig seems like a legit good person, using his platform to try and help in various ways, and here trying to stem the online fighting again ... and it will forever piss me off what the internet did to him, that movie, and the actresses in it. It's a good movie that has more charm and moxy than most Marvel films the bro-nerds eat up.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. Anthony_

Almost the first thing out of his mouth weeks ago was that this one was "for the fans."

7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I think this is the quote you’re referring to

IMO there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s just saying he’s wanted to make a movie for GB fans, which Feig said plenty of times too. Saying “back to the fans” brings in a whole new layer of gross connotations.

8. Anthony_

Don't be obtuse. He knew exactly what he was saying.

9. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’m as wary of the discourse around Ghostbusters as anyone but I genuinely think it’s a reach to interpret a piece of fairly generic PR speak as some kind of misogynistic dog whistling. I’ve seen Reitman’s movies, I know he doesn’t have that kind of tactical foresight. He doesn’t discount GB2016 in his statement at all, not even by implication.

If we’re gonna just keep incrementally posting the rest of his statement as if it’s some big revelation, might as well post the next part

It’s all just standard pr drivel

domotime2 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

Right but paying lip service to the reboot doesn't erase the fact that the first thing out of his mouth was a dog whistle to the fanboys who hated the reboot. Like, I'm not even suggesting he's intentionally being misogynist, I honestly think he's trying to market his movie to the people who are. Which in a way is almost worse, though, when you think about it. There's a reason why he didn't just say "I wanted to take a shot at making the sequel my father never got to" and leave it at that. He said "for the fans" for a reason. It's been the central theme of his pitch since day one. That specific phrase means something.

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Taken in context, that this was on Bill Burr's podcast, a comedian known for being contrarian and catering to a certain male demographic, Reitman saying how he's going to give "Ghostbusters" "back to the fans" sounds like pandering to the same people that bitched about the 2016 version. Maybe he didn't think it through. But it deserves to be called out.

Tim likes this.
  12. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I might agree with you if “for the fans” wasn’t such a commonly-used phrase for any sort of movie based on a property with an established fanbase. It might have a different context here since the “fan” reaction to the last movie was so highly-publicized but whether that’s the nerve Reitman was trying to hit and/or whether that’s an acceptable marketing strategy is a different story and a more nuanced point than I originally thought you were making.

“Back to the fans” is unequivocally bad in every possible way tho

13. BackyardHero11

Trusted

14. Anthony_

Could not disagree with that piece more. There's no reason to proclaim, more than once, that this one is "for the fans" other than to signal a specific type of person. Again, not saying Reitman himself is a misogynist or a sexist, but he is pandering to those types of people by using that language to promote the movie. And if he's really not intentionally dogwhistling to them, hopefully he wont do it a third time.

Zilla likes this.
  15. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Sadly he needs to pander to anyone and everyone to fill seats regardless of malintent

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

okay back on board

sawhney[rusted]2 and kbeef2 like this.
  17. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

FUCK Jason Reitman, FUCK Ghostbusters fans, and FUCK. THIS. MOVIE.

Oh, Carrie Coon? Yeah ok I’ll be there opening night

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Same.

Brother Beck and Jason Tate like this.
  19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I have no idea why they led with those vague “for the fans” statements that could be so easily misconstrued when this is so clearly a different direction for the series entirely. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from those comments that I wouldn’t have had if this was part of the first announcement.

Anthony_ likes this.
  20. Anthony_

Kind of proves my point, too, that he was just saying it to pander to the worst fans because he was clearly trying to soften the response from them to the actual direction the movie was taking.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

My guess is that it exists in the same universe, meaning the GB saved the city twice in the 80s and since retired or passed, so a new crop of busters reopen the business, which is how I wish they went with the Paul Feig movie.

Davjs likes this.
  22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I legitimately really like Finn Wolfhard lol

Davjs likes this.
  23. Night Channels

Trusted

Finn is going to be Egon’s son, isn’t he?

24. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

He's been ready

[​IMG]

Aaron Mook, Davjs and Mrplum5089 like this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Since it’s set in roughly the present day, I would assume Carrie is going to be someone’s daughter if they are going for a family connection.