Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters (Paul Feig, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Jason Tate, Mar 3, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

New trailer is much better, but I groan every time I see that "I don't know if it's a black thing or a lady thing" bit. Either way, hoping for some laughs and fun.

2. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I am sure I will like the actual movie. Trailers are so hit or miss, especially for comedies. My only negative thought is not understanding why they have been so adamant about it being its own thing yet so much is straight from the original. Which I'm okay with, I just don't get why they have been so public about it being separate when it's so similar. Perhaps what's not seen in trailers will help explain this. Should be a fun time.

3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

The negative reaction is definitely over-the-top, but to me this does look bad. Guess I'm a sexist pig :-/

Raku likes this.
  4. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Misogyny is clearly a huge factor in the hatred of this movie, even though a lot of the people voicing that hatred don't realize it. A lot of those people are so against this movie because they perceive it to be a remake pandering to "SJWs" and feminists and literally the only reason they believe that is because they cast women in the lead roles. Another section of the people voicing hatred against this movie say they are against it because they are not a fan of Melissa McCarthy because her schtick is "I'm fat and fall down a lot" which A.) Is not true, and B.)Even if it was true, I can name a dozen male comedians who are the same way and the internet somehow manages to not throw a temper tantrum every time they get mentioned. The same thing goes for Leslie Jones. And the "People are only upset because the trailer makes it look bad" argument holds no weight because people were losing their shit about this movie LONG before trailers or even screenshots or posters existed. And arguing that it looks bad because the main villain is the ghost on the poster is so clearly a 'I'm going to hate this because I hate this' type of thing, it's almost literally judging a book by the cover. And it's totally OK to not think this movie looks good. I didn't think the first trailer was good at all. But so many people are determined to hate this movie for no substantive reason, it's insane. It's so bizarre that this movie has somehow become a battleground for a war over sexism and misogyny, but here we are.

When this movie was announced, I didn't give two shits about whether it was successful, but having to sift through the endless waterfall of hatred directed at it by seemingly every white male on the internet, I hope it wins every single Oscar and breaks every box office record that has ever existed.

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I respect this viewpoint. Personally if it's bad I don't want it to do well, because I'd rather the franchise not continue if the first reboot installment is poor, but I can definitely see how the over-the-top negativity would make people root for it. As long as it doesn't turn into a counter-backlash of "you're sexist if you DON'T support the movie" I'm good... because personally I doubt I'll enjoy it as a fan of the originals. Like I said in the other thread, if it's good more power to them.

6. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I've mentioned why I feel I wont like it and why I think it looks bad. Its a comedy.. and the presented jokes have failed to make me laugh.

In regards to other comedians who act like Melissa. Who Kevin James? Yeah, the dude isn't funny. And if he were cast in her spot, in this movie, I would say, this movie looks awful.

You could put the original cast in this movie, with the same jokes, and I would say.... this looks awful.

As far as the ghost being the villain, its a less funny, uninspired rip off of the marshmallow man. Its fuckin lazy lol and the whole point of a trailer is to judge a movie, to see if you want to watch it or not haha.

But keep telling yourself that all white males (hey that is both sexist and racist at the same time!) on the internet hate women because a bunch of people (whose race and gender are fucking unknown to you in most cases) disliked a trailer on youtube and a message board that exists to discuss these types of things. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Raku and devenstonow like this.
  7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, that's fair. I'm just hopeful it'll be good because the pedigree behind it. I don't really expect it to be anything like the original Ghostbusters (outside of plot similarities) because movies today follow different rhythms of humor and plot.

8. Geeee, am I not surprised to see this remark from you later down this page. But it's just about the movie, right? ... RIGHT? :sly:

Aaron Mook and Tim like this.
  9. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

An analogue to Melissa McCarthy would be Chris Farley. For Leslie Jones, I think Chris Rock is comparable.

Your argument about the villain of the movie being the ghost from the poster continues to be based off literally nothing.

And you in fact can trace a lot of the vocalized hatred towards this movie back to white males. It's apparent on twitter and it's also apparent because the most concentrated areas of hate towards this movie are from places on the internet that are objectively weighted heavily towards white males, i.e. Reddit, 4chan, etc. And I'm not critical of the fact that people are disliking the trailer on Youtube, I'm critical of the fact that the first trailer is the most disliked movie trailer of all time, which is bonkers for a trailer that was simply mediocre.

10. Most men don't even take the time to consider the fact that almost all movies are made/geared/marketed for them and outside of romantic comedies and YA adaptations there are few movies that present an all female cast. I think the whole argument of "if the same movie was made with an all male cast I would still feel the same" is weak and impossible to guess on, too. I think that if Ghostbusters was rebooted with Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill and Craig Robinson, people would be amped on it.

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Exactly. If the same trailer was released with those four guys, it might not be entirely well received, but it certainly wouldn't be the most disliked trailer of all time.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. Jakob Allen

Trusted

So someone saying that almost every white male on the internet hates this movie because it stars females is not making assumptions based on gender and race? That is a pretty big stereotype.

Raku likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

there's been mind boggingly negative reaction to Space Jam 2 and the Jumanji reboot so it's not all sexism, but if you don't think sexism is playing a part you're wrong

popdisaster00 likes this.
  14. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Key word in my statement was "seemingly", which should make it pretty clear that I'm not stating a fact.

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

If you can't see that this movie is being hated because of the gender swap, that's just willful ignorance. If it was any other stupid comedy people would just ignore it and move on.

16. Jakob Allen

Trusted

It would just be really cool if people didn't just assume the reason I dislike this movie is because of my race and gender. The same way I don't just make assumptions about people when I see them on the street based on the same criteria.

Raku likes this.
  17. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I don't think anybody's saying that? I said in my post that it was OK to not think this movie looks good. But a ton of people are way too determined to not think it looks good and some of your criticisms (i.e. the villain being the ghost from the poster) were so pointless that it seemed like you may fall into that category. Also, your continued refusal to acknowledge that a big chunk of the dislike of this movie is because of a social issue.

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

No one assumed that about you specifically. We're talking about the amount of hate it gets, versus the indifference people had to something like last year's Vacation remake

popdisaster00 and Tim like this.
  19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I loved the idea of an all-female reboot, but these trailers have been underwhelming. Not disastrous, but not really promising.

Raku likes this.
  20. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen and ChaseTx like this.
  21. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I definitely understand that there are people out there who dislike this because its a female cast. But at the same time, to say without a doubt its the reason it is being received so negatively, is wrong.

Force Awakens did just fine swapping the gender and race of the main characters. Yeah, there were people who didnt like it, but most people didn't even care at all, they just saw a really great movie, and it succeeded because it is a great movie regardless of the gender and race of the cast. This movie is being received negatively because to most people, it looks awful and unfunny, but it seems most people I encounter only defend it by saying that I dont like it because of the female cast. But everyone I know, many genders and races included, say it just looks bad.

Raku likes this.
  22. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

People typically don't turn up in mass to dislike movie trailers for movies that don't look good. The trailer for the Vacation reboot has 7000 likes and 800 dislikes. The trailer for Adam Sandler's last movie has 12,000 likes and 5,000 dislikes. Ghostbusters has 240,000 likes and 800,000 dislikes. Even factoring in nostalgia for the original, that number isn't proportional at all.

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. Jakob Allen

Trusted

People also don't really dress up as Vacation characters on Halloween, or go to Comicons in Vacation cosplay. People arent as passionate about run of the mill comedies as they are about Ghostbusters. Thats because Ghostbusters is bigger than Vacation. The fans are much more passionate. And if they didnt like the jokes in the trailer, and wanted to display their dislike, and show hollywood that a subpar remake of a beloved film will not be tolerated, they should be able to do so without being told its only because of the gender swap.

Raku likes this.
  24. Force Awakens had the same idiots complaining about the race and sex of the main characters. Literally the same sock puppet accounts doing it on many places.

25. National Lampoon cosplay is absolutely a thing and a very beloved group of characters. Come on. You're clearly looking to fight about this way out of proportion yourself. You don't like the movie, go do something else.