Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (Jason Reitman, November 19 , 2021) Movie • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 2, 2019.

1. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This fucking sucked absolute fucking shit. At least we got the gorgeous 20 shot of Walmart!

soggytime likes this.
  2. There's an vfx guy we collaborate with from time to time and of course our tastes clash because he pretty much worships Marvel, Star Wars, really any kind of big IP franchise stuff, doesn't matter what. So I get done recording an unrelated podcast where I run through my gripes with this film, we wrap, I switch gears to get some footage with this guy, and unprompted, the first thing he says to me is "Boy, did that do that one right." I didn't have the heart to explain how much I had just complained about it like 10 minutes earlier.

No judgement on his tastes because I watch trashy no-name slasher movies, but it just kinda confirmed in my head that this was made to be catnip for those people above anything else. I hate to be that cynical, but it's extremely hard for me to believe it was genuinely made for any other reason than trying to keep a franchise off the ground.

3. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're probably right, but I barely remember the previous movies and I saw it with two other people who remember the old movies even less, and we all enjoyed it. That can mean whatever you want it to, but I just wanted to cite an example of people liking the movie without it being because of fanboyism.

4. That's fair, but I'm talking less about Ghostbuster fans and more about people with a general penchant fo big IP-based movies.

5. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I feel like that's a vast majority of the moviegoing audience, isn't it?

6. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I don’t get why it’s so bad to like Marvel/Star Wars etc. You can like that and other things. No harm.

7. Serh Nov 30, 2021
    (Last edited: Dec 16, 2021)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

you’ll get a variety of answers to that but the real one isn’t that mcu movies are “bad” moreso that their continued mega-success makes it harder for smaller films (especially midbudget) to even get more of its own showtimes at local theater or even be played at all. and even that’s arguably disney’s doing more than anything else, marvel studios happens to be the strongest weapon at their disposal

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. Probably? I really don't know. I know there are some people like myself that have franchise fatigue. That may not be a popular opinion and that's fine, but to Serh's point, I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't so detrimental to creativity in film and actively keeping smaller features from getting the spotlight they deserve.

Hey, I already said I'm not judging anyone's tastes. I like Star Wars. I love Friday the 13th, which is clearly a franchise that didn't know when to stop. You can like whatever you want. I just wish major studio pictures weren't trending so far away from telling original stories.

9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah that’s the other thing (i can’t recommend posting AND getting my steps in) is that IP basically monopolized all that shit

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

11. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Hell yeah baby

12. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

regardless of the quality of the movie i can’t help but interpreting this as misogyny

jkauf likes this.
  14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Sony should have answered the call

15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

They should have released the original, 2 and Afterlife as the “Ghostbusters trilogy” and then include all 3 plus the 2016 film in the “ultimate” collection.

16. DooDooBird

Trusted

Paul Feig bragging with the “Hey, we won a kids choice award”. lol

17. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I haven’t seen it so I can’t speak to the quality of 2016 ghostbusters. Then again I haven’t seen ghostbusters 1 or 2 fully. Buuuut… my understanding is 2016 doesn’t really have anything to do with the other movies? So from an outsider perspective how is this different from say how a Marvel collection wouldn’t include the first 5 Spider-man movies since it’s not part of the narrative?

18. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

That's not really a great analogy because the first 5 Spider-Man movies are technically not part of the franchise, that franchise being the MCU.

It's maybe more like having a Bond collection but leaving out On Her Majesty's Secret Service since it's the only one with George Lazenby? I don't know if that's a great analogy either.

It's just not a good look. I never saw the movie so I don't really have an opinion on it quality-wise, but it feels to the observer like it's being disowned from the franchise.

19. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The 2016 one is not in the same universe as the other 3.

20. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I'm aware of that.

21. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i just feel like the gamergate-ass reaction to that movie, which settled in long before it came out, is kind of tacitly endorsed by this release, also i can’t believe anyone on earth gives a fuck about the integrity of the ghostbusters canon

soggytime likes this.
  22. DooDooBird

Trusted

I didn’t like or hate the 2016 movie. It was “just there” for me. Ultimately, I wanted a continuation of GB and GB2, so all these years later when they decided on a reboot I was just like “meh”. Whether it was women or men or a mix of both, it wouldn’t have mattered to me. The new characters had nothing to do with Peter, Ray, Egon or Winston so I was in for a disappointment no matter what.

23. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Afterlife provided closure to all those that waited way too long for a third film to narratively follow Ghostbusters 2

24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i just have a hard time imagining watching ghostbusters 2 and thinking “what we need is a third movie for narrative closure”

soggytime and jkauf like this.
  25. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

That’s cool but I know others that think the opposite of you, especially when the third film had been in development hell for a long time