Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghost in the Shell (Rupert Sanders, March 31, 2017) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 14, 2016.

1. RonandTammy

Regular

A literal adaptation almost never works, especially when talking about video game movies.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  2. Instead of seeing this, I might suggest everyone just go see Your Name. (Kimi No Na Wa.) this weekend if it's available in your area, 'cause it's amazing.

GEM37, nomemorial and Fucking Dustin like this.
  3. Got dragged to this today and the whitewashing was really, really hard to stomach. I don't want to downplay that, but aside from it, I actually enjoyed quite a few pieces of this of this (the visuals, the score, the characters). I thought it did a pretty faithful job of being more accessible to larger audiences without diluting its themes too much. In those aspects, at least, I was pleasantly surprised.

4. Davjs

Trusted

I just don't think films translated from anime will ever do really well. I guess we can wait and see how Death Note does on Netflix, but I can't see a theatrically released one ever doing great boxoffice wise.

I remember watching Chronicle and thinking that it was kind of like Akria, so maybe that one would work but I think you'd have to Americanize/water it down so much in order to get it to hit with the wide, general audience.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Speed Racer is incredible, anime can be adapted and work.

though a white cast is an issue in that film as well.

coleslawed likes this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

I forgot about that one, I actually do like the look and feel of that movie. I think it bombed pretty hard though didn't it?

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

lol Scarlett's combined characters including scared white girl in Asia

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was going to download this and give it a shot, but that honest trailer has me checked out. lol

11. musicandlyrics

Xaxa Mckenzie

Poor review, Scarlett Johansson is a great actress but I don't think she's perfect for Mira's character but it's done we can't do something about it.