Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ghost in the Shell (Rupert Sanders, March 31, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Apr 14, 2016.

1. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I must be the only one who thinks this looks pretty bad. Maybe I just can't get past the white washing, but nothing about this has looked all that interesting.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kinda bummed that we have reviews for Boss Baby but not this yet. Meh.

ChaseTx likes this.
  4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Doesn't screen until Wednesday for critics.

5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah was curious when the screening or review embargo was going to be lifted. Saw a commercial the other day where it was touting positive critic reviews.

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

White-washing aside, is this going to suck? Haven't heard a peep about it yet.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This and Iron Fist getting critically panned in the same month would feel really good, lol.

8. Dog with a Blog

Watching this tomorrow for work. Sort of indifferent on the whole thing. Question though, was this always PG-13 or was that a recent change? I work at a movie theatre and when we first received trailers for this forever ago we got two versions; one listed as "R" and one was "pg-13". There wasn't much of a difference but for some reason the pg-13 rating surprised me

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Tim, Shakriel and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Reviews are positive so far

11. Dog with a Blog

Huh. I never saw the anime but I thought this was.....fine? I dunno, it had a lot of cool concepts but you could tell that it was edited down. It definitely should have been R. For example, in the trailers there's a clip of Major kissing a girl and that scene got cut down right when it was about to reach poignancy. Again, haven't seen the anime so I dunno how it plays out but this just kind of ends and feels like it was too focused on setting up a franchise than it was making a solid movie. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an unrated "directors cut" on home video

12. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Not saying I agree with whitewashing, in fact I would probably have gone to see this opening weekend if it wasn't for the whitewashing (I probably won't ever see it now), but I have read/seen video that seems to indicate that a lot of people over in Japan either don't have a problem with Johansson in the role or are actively excited to see her in it. The fact that the original's director wanted her in the role sort also makes this confusing for me. Who are we, Westerners who enjoy this IP but don't own it as a part of our culture, to say what is or isn't OK to do with it? If they're alright with it, shouldn't we be as well? I'm really asking for others' opinions here, not trying to start a fight (again, I'm not seeing this movie because of the whitewashing).

lightning13 likes this.
  13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I think the cultural context is possibly lost on a Japanese audience. They likely don't know how underrepresented Asian people are in American film or have full understanding of our racial culture, so to them the only issue is whether the casting makes sense to the plot

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

28/11 on Rotten Tomatoes with a score of 6.1 there and 62 on Metacritic. I'll probably see it next weekend when I finally have time.

15. Anthony_

Yeah, I guess my confusion is just that, why does our cultural context matter when Ghost In The Shell isn't a part of Western/American culture? And the original's director even likes it this way. It's just strange because I don't think I've ever seen such a high-profile situation where everyone here in the West is (rightly, I thought) angry about cultural appropriation, and then people from that actual culture basically say "What are you all so mad about?" I don't know, I should probably just quit now while I'm ahead. It just bothers me that I know I should be pissed about their not casting a Japanese actress, but hearing the reaction from the Japanese has me feeling like I'm white-knighting.

And all of that confusion is in addition to my now having to be against a big-budget female-led action/sci-fi blockbuster, which really, really sucks.

lightning13 likes this.
  16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. I felt the same way I did as coming out of the "Robocop" remake - cool visuals, but shallow characterization and a bland story. It will be forgotten in six months.

17. devenstonow

Noobie

from the film class i took, foreign audiences go nuts when a huge american star is in "their" movies (used loosely because technically this isn't a japanese movie)

Watched the anime movie a few weeks ago and yeah it pretty much just sorta "ends" and feels very abrupt

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I agree, but it is kinda the whole point. There is never much finality with GitS storylines whether it be the films or the subsequent animes. They are addressing larger points that don't really have finality.

19. Anthony_

It's not "their" movie, but it is "their" cultural property. It's a Japanese IP. Hence why I feel like their opinion of the situation holds more weight than the opinion of someone from the U.S. Or, at least, I feel like it should. Hence my confusion.

20. devenstonow

Noobie

Yeah, that's what I meant/what I was trying to convey/wasn't sure how to convey

21. devenstonow

Noobie

okay, I have no idea lol. I just watched whatever the first movie is haha

22. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Going to check this out tomorrow at a matinee. Despite mixed reviews, still excited to give it a chance.

23. Seigfried

FKA The Celibate

This wasn't good. Dumbed down all the philosophically interesting ideas and put way more focus on the whole secret conspiracy. Don't see it, just watch the original.

24. Dog with a Blog

This is interesting to me because, not having seen the anime, I kept on thinking this movie had potential to go in really cool philosophical directions but then it just went the typical movie route EVERY. TIME. I should watch the anime.

25. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

This is accurate. Asians, Asian Americans and the various diasporas have different experiences. In fact my own mom at first saw America as only white. Growing up here I learned differently, that American = white simply is not true. I have a right to carve out my own identity and my own space with my own say and control over how I am represented here.

@Anthony_D'Elia So the whole "but people in Japan/China/etc" argument is irrelevant.