Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Get Out (Jordan Peele, February 24 2017) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Thanks, that's a really nice thing to say! There's actually a ton of symbolism throughout the film, which is what makes it so fun to talk about and (at some point soon for me) rewatch.

Here are some other things I like:
    - The brother uses a lacrosse stick to block Chris from leaving the house, which is emblematic of the white privilege that lets kids like Brock Turner get away with horrific acts of subjugation.
    - Chris is literally in the passenger seat, being driven to his fate on the way to the house. He's in the driver seat when he leaves. The rearview mirror on his side of the car is broken on both car journeys, once by something he couldn't control (deer/passive) and one as a result of his actions (gunshot/active).
    - Casting Allison Williams as the girlfriend immediately give audiences a liberal white girl template to react to (and later be subverted by) based on her portrayal of Marnie on Girls.
    - The brother plays a discordant ukulele on the porch when they get back. The ukulele was an instrument introduced to Hawaii by Portuguese immigrants and now is often known as a "twee" instrument for white kids to cover songs on the internet.

And yeah, maybe it's not all as intentional as that, but given the echoes and foreshadowing that's throughout the film, I'm giving Peele the total benefit of the doubt. For me, the whole movie's about appropriation, and reading it through that lens has been endlessly fascinating.

suicidesaints likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I love that one of the most terrifying Rose scenes involves her eating Froot Loops while listening to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack

popdisaster00 likes this.
  3. theagentcoma Feb 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 27, 2017)
    theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

In the end the cop was actually the true hero

4. Night Channels

Trusted

^^^

Rod wasn't a cop. He was TS mother fuckin' A.

5. theagentcoma

Not him, the cop that pulls them over. Rose acted like she was standing up for him when really she didn't want to leave a paper trail for when he goes missing

popdisaster00 and incognitojones like this.
  6. Night Channels

Trusted

what

how does racially stereotyping Chris make him a hero? And he didn't pull them over, Rose called him when they hit the deer.

7. theagentcoma

Yeah, I just remembered that he didn't pull them over. Also I was being facetious, like his actions were obviously inexcusable but had he gotten Chris' ID it would have aided the police for when Chris would be reported missing.

My main point was basically that her actions seemed noble at the time but she really just didn't want to get caught early

8. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

from the second she showed up on screen I mumbled "fucking Marnie" under my breath, and continued to do that throughout the movie.

suicidesaints likes this.
  9. transrebel59

Regular

Will this be the most critically acclaimed movie that fails to receive an Oscar or golden globe nomination?

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Having never seen Girls and having no idea who she was, I actually thought she was charming through most of it which made it all the more jarring at the end when she was all creepy and evil and robotic. I thought her facial expressions were good when he was getting all the racism and she was like wtf?

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Saw this tonight and was/still am completely floored by it. Perfect film.

12. drewinseries

Drew

I mean I don't think it's near that deserving acclaim. It's a really fun movie but in terms of the movies it will go against for awards like that, I honestly don't realistically think it stands a chance.

13. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

If the Oscars are smart, they will 100% nominate this movie for a number of categories. There's a ridiculous amount of really smart choices that separates it from something like Cabin in the Woods, which I consider more "fun".

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This is better than like 6 or 7 of the movies nominated for best picture this year. But its rare the Oscars recognize genre stuff.

suicidesaints and mad like this.
  15. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

While sipping milk from a straw and searching up black NCAA athletes too! I was dying laughing! So white and so terrifying.

16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The Professor for my "Introduction to the Novel" class brought this movie up today as an example of a film that plays with genre conventions really well. Stoked to see it on Thursday and contribute my own walls of black to the thread

17. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I guess I don't buy that- seems like there's a big plot hole here. We saw that the flash of a camera brought Andre back, right? It looked like the only thing to have that lady's husband take over again, was to take him into the psychiatrist's office and hypnotize him again. If she's dead, no more hypnotizing.

18. Joel Feb 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 28, 2017)
    Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this movie immensely but some of you hyping it to be this astoundoing cinematic achievement is a little overboard. It's great but to call it the best horror movie of the decade and perfect is a little silly.

The jokes mostly fell flat for me outside of the TSA guy, but once it kicked into high gear I was hooked. Excellently paced too, really flew by. Important social commentary delivered in a fun, accessible and well executed package.

Davjs and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

It only brought him back temporarily. That's why the Grandad killed himself at the end when the guy got control again, because he knew it would only be temporary and would rather die than go back. I don't think hypnotizing would be enough to reverse it because, you know, 90% of their brain was removed.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and St. Nate like this.
  20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

ARMOND FUCKING WHITE with the one negative review. Worst reviewer out there.

21. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Armond White is a fucking hack.

Davjs likes this.
  22. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

So I suffer from frequent bouts of sleep paralysis and just had another one this morning. I'd really like to know if Jordan Peele researched anything about sleep paralysis when creating the "Sunken Place" because my god is it uncomfortably accurate.

23. drewinseries

Drew

Yep.

Disagree about the jokes though, I thought all the humor was great.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. drewinseries

Drew

I've had it 2-3 times and it's incredibly terrifying. Can't imagine it more frequently.

Nyquist likes this.
  25. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I just read someone's comment on a reddit thread and I can't believe I missed this but the grandfather possibly started this whole thing because he got beat in a race by Jesse Owens. It's mentioned, when Chris first comes to the house and is being given a tour, that he got over losing the race "...almost". After the race, the grandfather came to the conclusion that black men are genetically faster, and thus came up with the idea to take over their bodies. This explains that scene where he comes bolting at Chris in the night. He was running because he was training.