Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Get Out (Jordan Peele, February 24 2017) Movie • Page 22

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 4, 2016.

1. mad

I was right. Prestigious

2. fucking ughhhhhh

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

who the hell is this person and why do they get a vote?

bobby_runs likes this.
  4. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Holy cow this woman sucks.

5. White women voted for Gary Oldman. White women voted for Trump.

mad likes this.
  6. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

“That left it down to Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water.”

yeesh

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Demi is incredible

suicidesaints and ChaseTx like this.
  9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

DEMI!!!!

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

That was a masterpiece

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

lol @ that person's logic for not voting for this. Sounds like the point of the film was missed entirely.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I hope Demi releases a legit album someday.

Also yeah the Academy is full of people like that and it is honestly shocking that Moonlight won Best Picture last year.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  13. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I just wanna know how someone decides to not vote for a movie because of the kids being scared by stuff in it.

14. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

suicidesaints and chewbacca110 like this.
  15. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

She liked Margot Robbie and rips three billboards at least

But her reasoning behind some of her decisions is like.... it's like asking my grandma her take on movies.

16. Jake Gyllenhaal

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I can picture Chelsea singing Circle Of Life when they handed over the baby

18. Morrissey

Trusted

That is the average age of the Academy and that is who the real intended audience for the Oscars is.

Get Out is a perfect example for its lack of taste and understanding of the times. It was released far outside of the traditional Oscar window, dealt with a genre they don't respond to, and was successful through critical praise and audience reception long before we had to endure awards season.

Lucas27 likes this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Get Out and Silence of the Lambs were both February horror releases

20. Morrissey

Trusted

That is how rare something like it is. Films released before the fall getting nominated have a difficult path. However, they do tend to be actual good films, because they had to resonate for months.

21. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I just watched this and its tremendous. I've never seen anything like it, where every action makes a significant impact in the story and the "horror" parts of the film aren't based around things popping out of nowhere. I'm going to be having nightmares for years.

mad and airik625 like this.
  22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

whats so neat about get out is that i havent met anyone that doesnt at the very least... like it. It ranges from "pretty good" to "favorite movie ever".

23. Lucas27

Trusted

This probably wasn't the case with Silence of the Lambs, but Get Out being released in February had to have contributed to it being an Academy Award nominee, right? I remember it not being part of the conversation at all, and then slowly seeing articles pouring in over time pondering if it could be a rare horror movie contender, and then by the time awards season came the idea of it winning Best Picture wasn't all that far-fetched. But the awards hype took months to grow on top of the movie's growing popularity with the general public and then suddenly it was part of the conversation.

I could see that applying to horror films down the line too. If anyone's read up on Hereditary, everything I've read/seen about that movie suggests it might pull a Get Out next year as a rare horror movie getting awards buzz, but it's being released in June so it might have less time to register with Academy voters (it looks absolutely horrifying by the way).

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Silence of the Lambs was originally slated for a late 1990 release, just in time for awards season consideration. Its distributor Orion Pictures instead chose to bump it a few months in order to focus on a marketing push for Dances With Wolves, which proved successful after its multiple Oscar wins. Silence was released on Valentines Day 1991 and marketed itself as the anti-romantic date movie. It paid off as it was a box office success. Cut to 10 months later when it hit the VHS market and viewers (and Academy voters) rediscovered the film and it achieved year-end best-of lists.

ChaseTx and Lucas27 like this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I honestly didn't see this movie getting awards attention coming at all, not until the Golden Globes nominations came out I think. Obviously super pleasantly surprised though