Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Get Out (Jordan Peele, February 24 2017) Movie • Page 18

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Oct 4, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Get out is totally more of a comedy than drama.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the film makers get to choose which categories to submit in, they have a better chance of winning an award in Comedy like The Martian did

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

At first I was bewildered because I haven't seen it since release, but looking back it was definitely funny. I think it could have fit in either category and am happy it is being recognized either way even though these ceremonies are total bullshit

4. transrebel59

Regular

I think it has a far better chance of winning in the comedy category than drama and I want to see this clean up at award shows.

electro haikus likes this.
  5. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

fair point

6. Lucas27

Trusted

That's interesting. Outside of Chris's buddy, I didn't laugh much in this movie. And many of the semi-comedic moments were also the most chill-inducing to me like Allison Williams' character's flat "oh my god" when she was pretending to be concerned on the phone.

7. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

It absolutely is more of a comedy than a drama.

fenway89 and domotime2 like this.
  8. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Golden Globes is a joke (only around 90 voting members) but they have the advantage of being the first major ceremony of awards season so who they honor influences other ceremony voters. Yet Drama category tends to be pretty competitive so submitting as a comedy is a smart move just to garner nominations. The movie is still expected to be a contender come Oscar nominations time.

9. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Yeah. It’ll be an interesting awards season. First with out that scumbag since the early 90s

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

The Golden Globes are a joke the way all awards shows are a joke. The whole thing hurts movies and helps studio profits.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. the Golden Globes are absolutely more of a comedy than Get Out

wait

fenway89, Lucas27, awwgereee and 6 others like this.
  12. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I forget, do they separate the supporting actor categories for comedy/drama like they do the lead ones? Because if so I think Lil Rel Howery has a real chance

13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

14. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

honestly confused by people calling this more comedy than drama...did we see the same movie? lol.

fenway89, ChaseTx, cybele and 2 others like this.
  15. domotime2

What's weird is I actually feel the same exact way but the opposite.

16. Lucas27

Trusted

I think that's precisely why Get Out is as brilliant and unique as it is.

fenway89 and suicidesaints like this.
  17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Lil Rey was obviously the comic relief but I think people perceive this as having a comedic tone simply because of Jordan Peele’s background. I think of it more as a thriller with a mix of social satire. It helped that I heard beforehand the two biggest movie influences for Peele was Night of the Living Dead and The Stepford Wives.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

maybe more absurd than comic but the creepiest thing in this movie was a girl drinking milk from a glass while eating Froot Loops

fenway89 and ChaseTx like this.
  19. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

FTFY

fenway89 likes this.
  20. Lucas27

Trusted

I know it won't happen, but Allison Williams deserves a Best Supporting Actress nomination for this. Performances were terrific across the board but her character was so unique and terrifying and utterly despicable and she played every bit perfectly.

ChaseTx, FTank and supernovagirl like this.
  21. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Says the white person.

22. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Get Out is totally a good movie. Genres are dumb.

23. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

24. domotime2

Ouch. See, I can see where people like you are coming from. When someone says "it was a comedy", it sounds like we're saying "the subject matter is a joke". I feel like that's why everyone is actually getting angry or upset when someone says the movie was a comedy. But that's not what I'm saying. Comedies can have "real lessons" and have "serious undertones" and still be a comedy. The avclub link you posted talks about how its crazy to lump a movie like this in with comedies like Daddys Home 2...but that's a very limited scope of what comedy is.

I'm only speaking as a movie goer that if I had to put this movie into one category, I have to pick comedy. The overall premise was obsurd and there were many instances and scenes placed into the movie that were meant to make us laugh (and think).

I don't think my skin color is playing into this thought but perhaps it is.

25. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

Dirty Sanchez likes this.