Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly Reflects on Chester Bennington • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2017.

1. xburningcoffin

KC

I'm talking about how people criticize someone for being critical by complaining about how they are being critical for being critical. That's a cycle that's annoying and counterproductive and extremely judgemental for no other purpose than to be holier than thou.

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

You know what's really selfish? Making people with mental health issues feel worse than they already do by making them think that they shouldn't feel and think the things they do.

3. xburningcoffin

KC

What's really selfish is thinking your opinion or feelings are better than everyone else's. We are seeing the raw feelings that people have from first learning of a suicide of a friend; now it's being interpreted that any negative feelings about the death are wrong. Who is the judge of what feelings are right or wrong? Certainly not anyone on this earth.

I don't know what it's like to be a frontman of a band and I'm glad that Geoff pointed out the pressure they are under and that that weight can seem unbearable

4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Your concern seems to be for literally anyone OTHER than the people who this shaming affects the most - those struggling with a mental illness. The relative right or wrong of a person's reaction to a death is irrelevant; what IS relevant is that when people are depressed or suffer from bipolar disorder or something similar, that the very last thing they need is to be told to be ashamed for who they are. Being called 'cowards' is precisely that.
    I really wish that the concern you're showing for people who are making random comments on the internet was also shown to the people who actually need it.

skogsraet, Jason Tate and Joe4th like this.
  5. xburningcoffin Jul 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2017)
    xburningcoffin

KC

I was not talking about people with a mental health issue and I haven't. I'm talking about death and suicide; and the feelings and reactions that has on ANYONE shouldn't be judged right or wrong-- by me, you or anyone. My concern is with people who make bold statements thinking they are right or wrong about situations that aren't clear cut, like suicide. All I have seen is people blasting against someone's (Korn's Head) feelings/reactions to the death of his friend, which I take great offense to because what is being insinuated is that someone's feelings are being considered more relevant that others.

FreshnessExpired likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Sadly, it makes sense. Especially in the genre of rock, these stars often grew up bullied and introverted like he said, that's how you develop your craft. I had to abandon much of my social life when I realized I wanted to make music for a living. We are also romantics, I view the world in a very sensitive way, I think people like Chester did too. It builds up until you can't deal w/ it.
    And fuck the mental health system in this country.