Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly Reflects on Chester Bennington

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Geoff Rickly of Thursday has posted a message on Twitter after the death of Chester Bennington, it touches on depression and being a frontman of a band. You can find the full message below.

I do actually think there are a bunch of factors at work on why we see a high suicide rate (along with drinking, drugging to death) among singers. The kinds of people that tend to gravitate towards devoting their lives to music are often quite introverted. We all know the effect that music has, especially on the solitary spirit. The level of devotion required to become a famous singer almost guarantees that these singers have an unhealthy obsession with music. Now take these introverts and throw them into a group dynamic where they are joined closely with other musicians and also stand apart. Being a singer is like being a goalie: you’re a team mate but you stand alone and often get blamed when you lose the game. This youngest child/only child dynamic is stressful for introverts, in the best of times. Now put them on tour 10 months a year and add easy access to drugs and alcohol. Now add public opinion and the cycle of ego inflation and ego destruction that comes with a career in the spotlight. One minute you’re a genius, the next you’re an idiot.

The last, and I believe most significant, factor is one faced by other entertainers and models. I have friends who are adult stars and we discuss what exactly we will do when we’ve sold the last drops of our youth. We can’t retire on our earnings. Your youth, itself, becomes the commodity of yours that other people sell. Did you know labels will insure certain body parts of their artists? It’s a strange thing to experience. If you’re very lucky, you last long enough to wave goodbye to your youth and a lot of your career, in the process. All of these factors probably contribute in some way. I try to stay pretty grounded and I’ve had periods where I didn’t think I could handle it anymore. I’m not sure if I know the answer. I’m certainly searching for mine. Recovery, my relationships and service seem to be the corner stones.

Lots of love, Geoff

Raku, coleslawed, Ken and 4 others like this.
  2. CMilliken

Trusted

Really enjoyed his views on this.

Raku likes this.
  3. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

Good insights there from Geoff

Raku likes this.
  4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Definitely a life not many know, and what he says you can certainly try and understand what frontpeople go through. We romanticize celebrity, but what it's truly like none of us know

Raku and Davjs like this.
  5. transrebel59

Regular

Eh, I respect this guy a lot but I don't respect him writing a blog to speculate why somebody committed suicide hours after they did it.

This doesn't read as a reflection on Chester or depression. This reads like speculation and "Hey, I'm a frontman too! Look what I have to say!"

6. He was responding to someone's question.

7. Iamhollywood315

Regular

hit the nail on the head. Also, I have been seeing certain comments that have been bothering all day about this and other similar situations saying he is selfish for leaving behind a wife and 6 kids. People have NO IDEA what what goes through someones head or how they feel. Mental illness is such a difficult subject to comprehend and understand and the services available for help are shit in this country. To trivialize the pain and suffering someone endures and call them a coward is just fucking wrong.

aniafc and GEM37 like this.
  8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

He didn't speculate why Chester committed suicide hours after he did it.

Raku likes this.
  9. Saephon

Regular

As an introvert and obsessive music fan who has frequently fantasized about being a band front man, this resonates with me. Just reading his analysis made me feel a little anxious, imaging myself in the situations a very public musician or artist finds themselves in. I fear people have gotten crueler with the advent of social media.

10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

That goaltender analogy is perfect. Geoff gets it.

Raku, js977 and carlosonthedrums like this.
  11. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Beautiful words, as always.

12. aniafc

Trusted

Yeah I saw the bassist for Korn say that it was a "cowardly" move.

13. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

Couldn't put that dude's band on my "I'm never listening to this band again" list fast enough. I was so angry when I read his comments.

aniafc and Jason Tate like this.
  14. mikalcheuk

...when is suicide not a cowardly act though?

xburningcoffin likes this.
  15. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

You know, I typed a whole answer to this and decided it was faster and more effective to just say "fuck you." Depression is an illness that people sometimes succumb to like any other physical illness. Fuck. Off.

16. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Never, when you're educated enough about what pushes someone to kill themselves.

St. Nate, Aaron Mook and Daniel182 like this.
  17. generalmills9

I completely agree with Geoff's comments, specifically the goalie analogy. As someone who is introverted and dealt with depression in the past, I can tell you that is exactly how I felt. The weight becomes too heavy for you to hold, and you honestly believe that no one is there to help. You can be surrounded by family and friends, but you get it in your head that no one can help, so you keep it to yourself. My neighbor freshman year of college committed suicide. So anytime I hear stories like this, even celebrities/musicians I never knew personally, it hurts. Condolences to Bennington's family.

18. aniafc

Trusted

When IS it, exactly?

We don't know enough about his thoughts to really talk about hit too much. However, I would say that he had been sacrificing his own mental health for others (because typically depression builds up to this act). So, really, that's the opposite of "cowardly" and "selfish."

St. Nate and Daniel182 like this.
  19. xburningcoffin

KC

No surprise that people would run with a portion of Korn's Head's comments and take it out of context. Sadly, this is what suicide brings out...feelings of anger, confusion, and desperation that cloud the ability to think rationally before spouting out your thoughts into the world. I sympathize with his anger but I'm not sure his turn of phrase is appropriate.

20. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Unless the context is 'some people say suicide is a cowardly act, but that's a misguided, ignorant and irresponsible way of addressing an issue of mental illness that does more harm to those suffering than any possible good for those grieving, so no one should ever say such a thing,' there isn't a context appropriate for expressing those words.

crowntownguy and Daniel182 like this.
  21. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

skogsraet and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  22. xburningcoffin

KC

So yeah that's why I said his turn of phrase wasn't appropriate. But slamming someone because they expressing their feelings is a really loving way to treat people and I'm sure will lead to more conversing and less introversion. Good job

23. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is not a conversation about a random dude from Korn. If his expression of his feelings hurts people, he needs to stop.

Saying 'suicide is selfish' and shaming those with mental illnesses hurts people. The people saying that should stop.

If me saying that extremely basic sentence is 'slamming' and 'unloving' to the people who are doing the hurting, then I guess that's the price to pay to stick up for the people they're hurting. If a person has a platform and uses it to shame others with a literal illness, they need to stop. Period.

24. xburningcoffin Jul 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 21, 2017)
    xburningcoffin

KC

Suicide is both selfish and not selfish at the same time. The very definition of selfish is lacking consideration of others and being concerned with the self over the concern for others. To say that suicide isn't is just plain wrong. However, the pain of depression distorts reality to the afflicted and may not even be aware of the self. The notion that the world would be better off without you could be interpreted as not selfish, but that would also be further from the truth. It doesn't make the reasons why people commit suicide wrong.

It is reckless and awful to insult a grieving family, no question about it. People that suffer from suicidal thoughts should seek help not read a blog about someone's thoughts about suicide.

By sticking up for people that are hurting you are just hurting more people. It seems as if the person that made some questionable remarks is being lynched by those who object, thus perpetuating the viscous cycle of hate.

mikalcheuk likes this.
  25. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Saying, 'people shouldn't shame others with a mental illness' is not hate. It's telling the truth.

The dude from Korn is fine. He isn't being anything close to lynched. He said something stupid and inappropriate. He shouldn't have. It's really that simple.