Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly on New Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Interesting to hear him talk in detail about how he had such a different vision for the band, their last several albums and how it'd led to him resenting the rest of the band (for a time). I was starting to feel uncomfortable fearing he was going to throw the band entirely under the bus, but then it transitioned to him taking some responsibility and acknowledging it was on him too.

3. Gen Handley

Regular

I would love a new Thursday album.

4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Saaaame. Other than the production of drums on Common Existence (I feel the songs are a lot better than they are actually produced as), they have a perfect discography.

5. KyleK

Building on my earlier post, on one hand I can't imagine if Thursday had gone in the direction of United Nations, but I am a little curious what entire albums of songs like At This Velocity and Into the Blinding Light would have felt like then.

Also interesting that Geoff explored his more melodic leanings with No Devotion after No Devolucion, even though it sounds like he was semi-reluctantly accepting that was their new sound as a band (at the time).

coleslawed likes this.
  6. I find that interesting too, because I think No Devolucion is their best album.

rxbandit89 likes this.
  7. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Agreed. That one-two punch of Full Collapse and WATT made me a fan, but whenever I listen to them now I go straight to ND.

Gen Handley and Jason Tate like this.
  8. shawnhyphenray

Regular

Really excited to listen to this. I’ve never care for podcasts until recently. Now I’m hooked mainly on Mike Herrera’s

9. KyleK

For me too. Full Collapse and WATT are two of my favourite all-time albums, maybe influenced my taste in music (at the time) more than any other albums ever have, but it's definitely ND I listen to most these days. Having said that, it was amazing seeing them perform so many of the old cuts last year on their tour - with what felt like more passion that in the final years before the hiatus, so I still have a lot of appreciation for them too.

10. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

ND holds up really well, I agree! ...the podcast was very interesting, I listened to it last night. Kinda nearly forgot about Common Existence, and living here in Poland I was actually never aware Thursday was so big and sold that many albums!

11. KyleK

It's hard to put myself back in that time when bands like Thursday and Thrice were being heralded as the next big thing in rock, and that many copies of albums were being sold by them (and so many other bands). Those were my high school and undergrad years, and I don't think I had a true sense of how big a deal it was, or how much it would change after.

12. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@KyleK same here, I was in high school probably, wasn't too aware what it really meant to see Thursday on MTV 2 (it was Signals Over The Air, I was very excited!)