Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickley Talks With Alt Press • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Haha to be honest The Constant did nothing for me. But In the Wake of Determination shreds and The Black Swan was even better imo. I think they opted to go heavier after initially getting (rightly) lumped in with the emo-pop bands and being called Used-lite after Page Avenue. But unfortunately they ended up in a niche space where the pop rock lovers found them too heavy and fans of heavier music still considered them to be a pop band.
    I thought they really nailed the mixture of heavy and catchy.
    And don't get me wrong, they were still popular. But if they stayed with more of that Page Avenue sound (rather than mix it with more heaviness) their follow up would have been huge. Better to make the music you want to, but they'd have to wonder what could have happened if they continued down that path.

2. Davjs

Trusted

absolutely agree, I feel that's why black swan wasn't as heavy and the Constant sounds closer to Page Avenue than the last two. I love it all though and am so excited that they are writing new music.

3. Davjs

Trusted

Doesn't that mean that these bands heard Thursday and then started learning to play music and become a band? I think if anything Thursday may have inspired record labels to sign similar bands. Both Story and Used were probably already jamming and trying to come up in the scene when Thursday popped.

4. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah Black Swan isn't as heavy as In The Wake but it's more consistent and hits a real sweet spot between heavy and catchy.
    Angel in the Swamp might be their best song.