Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Genius De-Emphasizing Web Annotations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Casey Newton, writing for The Verge:

Genius, which raised $56.9 million on the promise that it would one day annotate the entire internet, has been losing its minds. In January, the company quietly laid off a quarter of its staff, with the bulk of the cuts coming from the engineering department. In a post on the Genius blog at the time, co-founder Tom Lehman told employees that Genius planned to shift its emphasis away from the annotation platform that once attracted top-tier investors in favor of becoming a more video-focused media company.

2. devenstonow

Noobie

I don't think much will change for my usage, but this doesn't make much sense. 90% of the time I'm looking at Genius (which has become the best lyric site) I'm listening to music at that time...I'm in no desire to pause my music for a video

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

don't think this will work in their favor. their video content isn't bad, but it's not the stuff i seek out, or i think that most usual genius users will go to the site for.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

christ, remember when the co-founder annotated Elliot Rodger's manifesto, saying "my guess: his sister is smokin hot"? what a prick.

5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

yeah, I've enjoyed a few of their videos, just wish it weren't so hip-hop oriented.
    they are definitely my go-to lyrics site, though, and I've always been a fan of the annotations.

6. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Just what the world needs, another media company.

Guess that whole "annotating the world" thing didn't have legs.