Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion [ARCHIVED] • Page 219

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Hey! I'm caring about me right now not other people!

beachdude42 and popdisaster00 like this.
  2. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

just stop

Thursdaysox, Ken and popdisaster00 like this.
  3. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

beachdude42 and David87 like this.
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Danny Chung 2020!

Ken likes this.
  5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I think it's totally the same (or at least similar). You get to see someone who is like you in a situation where you have never seen someone who is like you.

Nick likes this.
  6. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Has anybody watched this yet? Is anything revealed we don't already know? Does it get everything right, or is it skewed?

Richter915 likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Since most of us have seen how democratic females have reacted to the Hillary news, here is the opposite side with
    one of the young republican females that I know had this comparison of the DNC vs RNC up to this point.

and I quote

"The RNC had veterans, police officers, and military families speak.

The DNC had illegal immigrants and Michael Browns mother speak.

This is absolutely crazy and painful to watch. Hillary's whole situation is humorous though. I'm hoping Russia randomly releases more emails 2 weeks before the election in November."

I think she originally supported either Rubio or Kasich, but fully supports the RNC.

Many of my republicans friends have also posted this So You Think You Know the Real Donald Trump? meme, which i attached via snope to help verify any of it's credibility.

Plenty of equal discontent for Hillary as there is for Trump.

beachdude42 and Richter915 like this.
  8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's definitely similar if you dilute it to "representation is representation," but it's not the same, especially right after Barack Obama, who showed men can succeed in spite of racial prejudice. The message women have gotten the past couple centuries is that we can't have the presidency and it doesn't matter if you're black, Asian, Latina or what have you. I can't tell you how many times I've heard men and women alike say women are just "too emotional" to handle that kind of leadership among other sexist reasons why women are unfit for presidency, that our very biology makes us "different" in vague ways that somehow translate to incompetency.

There are 19 million Asian Americans who have never seen an Asian president here in the US and I'd like to see that change, but there are also 137 million women who have never seen a female president and that really, really needs to change.

9. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Bill can still crush it

beachdude42 and Richter915 like this.
  10. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Inaccurate and downright offensive. That eleven year old child who spoke is not illegal. She is here legally and her parents are not, and she's been living in fear that her family will be split up at any given time because our immigration system is broken. Maybe I'm taking it personally because I was in the exact same situation as a child too, but it's a lie to say that child is illegal. She is as much a citizen as anyone else born here. Add to that referring to Michael Brown's mothers speech as if it were wrong to let the very people who have been victimized by public servants have a say in the political world...I'm getting really sick of the thinly veiled racism from Republicans.

beachdude42 and Jonesy like this.
  11. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

12. Election years are a good time to prune the 'ol friends list.

13. A Woman President Wouldn’t Erase Centuries Of Male-Dominated Politics

Here are a few noteworthy stats:
    • Women make up about half of the U.S. population, according to census data, and yet are consistently less than 25 percent of those in elected office nationwide, CAWP reports.
    • Women of color make up only 6 percent of Congress, according to CAWP, despite being 20 percent of the U.S. population based on the census.
    • According to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, if you compare the percentage of female representation in our national legislature to that of every other country, the U.S. comes in 96th, between Cyprus and Kyrgyzstan.
    • When American women run for office, they win at about the same rate as men, according to “Gender in Campaigns for the U.S. House of Representatives” by Barbara Burrell.
    • Polling from Gallup shows that the share of Americans who would vote for a woman for president rose from 33 percent in 1937 to 95 percent in 2012.

14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

15. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I don't disagree with you, I can speak to the fact of knowing she has family members who are police officers and is extremely blue lives matter from seeing her family members become villainized despite them being good people and good at their job. An unfortunate side effect of the Black Lives Matter campaign.
    Giving a voice those being impacted is something I commend the DNC for doing, it's a complex situation which we need to find a rational way to fix it without destroying families.

The other article, is what I am calling the "Trump effect" from my republican friends. It ignores the real issue that's being addressed and just goes on to pointlessly attack an establishment.

beachdude42 and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  16. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Some times they are tumors that can't be ignored or pruned and need to be addressed to find a solution, otherwise if you ignore them, they could end up killing you.

Richter915 likes this.
  17. Not sure I'd agree with an analogy that equates spouting dumb things on Facebook with that of cancer. But, if there's anything that would probably kill me faster, it's arguing with some Facebook poster.

18. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

True, it's not fair to cancer to put it on the same grounds as facebook. I'll rephrase to say that instead eliminating individuals that I know from a modern medium of communication for having different views or absurd takes on situations I would rather engage in a discussion that would allow them to explain their point of view or give reasoning of how they arrived to that conclusion. Even if we end up agreeing to disagree at the end on a situation, the opportunity to attempt to understand each other and correct possible mistakes or misunderstandings that they or myself might have, is a better solution than letting ignorance grow.

19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I saw the analogy as being an allusion to the cancerous ways with which the bigoted ideology Trump puts forward can spread and eventually end up killing people -- but fwiw I'm also under the influence.

Trotsky likes this.
  20. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

The 1 Percent's Useful Idiots

Dominick likes this.
  21. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Stupid. These women deserve to speak, however much one may disagree with the platform in which they're doing it. One might point out, however, that it is the party hosting this event - not Trump - who is authorizing military grade weaponry to be distributed to local police departments. I know, I know. Trump will nuclear bomb the hood or something, but we are talking about now and this is the hypocrisy/silence that makes it difficult to think liberals are actually serious about anything they have to say; to them, we are facing an unprecedented threat. For us, the threat is nothing new and it has always been bipartisan.

Also, Bill Clinton is a rapist. Ignoring that doesn't make it not true.

22. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

“Many hearts are broken about the sabotage of the Bernie Sanders campaign,” she said, billing herself as the natural next choice for those broken hearts. “To all those delegates who are witnessing the demise of a movement inside the Democratic Party: There’s a new movement being born outside the Democratic Party.”

“This revolutionary campaign deserves a revolutionary party,” she added, thanking people for “refusing to let this revolution be intimidated.”

“The Real Revolution Is Down the Street, to Your Left” — The Green Party Rallies at the Democratic Convention

It is important that Jill Stein get at least five percent of the vote, in order to get matching funds from the federal government and increased opportunities for ballot access across the country.

23. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Probably who I'm voting for, sorry for failing to vote against trunp tho

Richter915 likes this.
  24. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Stein is an anti-vaxxer though

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.