Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion VII [ARCHIVED] • Page 450

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

This. Last thing I want is military in control trying to dictate people’s lives. That’s how POC die and power imbalances escalate even further. Want zero to do with the military being in charge of anything.

2. clucky

Trusted Supporter

lol they did this in Seattle a few days ago. one of my nurse friends was complaining about it on facebook. Such a dumb way to show meaningless support.

Victor Eremita and orangehorizon like this.
  3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

D0467BD5-4ADD-499E-A95E-F1311C5E999E.jpeg

4. orangehorizon

Trusted

That's difficult to answer. What all experts say is that we started testing very early and our testing infrastructure is pretty good, i.e. we have many laboratories all around the country that are able to perform testing. We also apparently performed a large number of tests since the first cases appeared, at least compared to most other countries, although you also hear about cases where people were not tested while they probably should have.
    And then we do have a very high number of intensive care beds, way more than most of the other European countries and from what I've read recently even more than the US when counted per capita. That certainly helps and is also a reason we recently also took patients from France and Italy.
    When it comes to lockdown, we have done that too, but I am not sure if that was really as early as we should have done it. I guess in these kind of situations it's best to do it as quickly as possible but that was certainly not the case here. But we have it now since a week I think and most people are respecting it. Whenever I go out for a walk I usually only see single people or obvious families together, very rarely groups of people that should not be together.

5. clucky

Trusted Supporter

yeah. I really hope we as a world learn the right lessons from this (test early test often. have resources in place that let you quickly mobilize. have the right cultural norms when it comes to both protecting yourself and protecting others from yourself with healthcare) but really worried we're gonna learn the wrong ones (invade people's privacy so you can track their every step)

Brother Beck and orangehorizon like this.
  6. orangehorizon

Trusted

That's also what's happening here in Germany. People are applauding every evening, but the doctors and nurses are not too happy about it. They say that it would be way more helpful if especially nurses would get more benefits like better payment and less hours to work / hire more nurses per patients.

Brother Beck and bigmike like this.
  7. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

What started out as a quirky sporadic nice thing has now become overdone (the clapping thing). But hey people are bored as fuck, whatever

8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I also imagine part of it is people feel helpless and out of control of their lives and this is one of those things they can do to show they appreciate what doctors and nurses are doing and feel “in control” for a few seconds of what’s going on outside around them

Philll and Brother Beck like this.
  10. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I think every single person who's in power right now needs to be replaced. Complete and utter shit job from everyone.

11. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

Yea since there is 8 million + people in that city it seems inevitable. Illinois is over of the hardest hit too and I think that's also because of the high concentration of people in Chicago. People had been hanging out in groups by the lake and stuff still so the governor had to close parks and the lake too

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  13. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

That just seems how she always is anytime I’ve seen clips of her show.

Shakriel likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Honestly this is the most I've ever connected with her. I'd like to be drunk too if I wasn't so paranoid about...well, everything right now, and drinking lowers your immune system

MysteryKnight and Brother Beck like this.
  15. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

One of my anxiety tics right now is to google "Remdesivir" every few hours hoping for some good news

Brother Beck likes this.
  16. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

One of my anxiety tics right now is to keep obsessively checking the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 interactive map that is updated in real time, as if the whole problem is that one rando in Massachusetts is not keeping a close enough eye on the numbers and that's why they got out of hand. My wife doesn't understand that 95% of the time it makes me feel better and eases my anxiety to have true hard facts to look at and instead focuses on the 5% of the time when it causes me to have overwhelming feelings of absolute crushing dread that this thing is going to kill everyone that I love in a painful and tortuous way.

17. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

18. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

Fuck. My. Life.

GrantCloud likes this.
  19. clucky

Trusted Supporter

+6 among all Americans but only +2 among registered voters is also super concerning

wish they had also polled Trump vs Bernie...

20. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Is this...legal? Saw this shared on Facebook.

[​IMG]

21. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I ran out of weed and now I just have to live with my anxiety. This sucks. I’m going to go to my parents house tomorrow and see if they have any.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. emt0853

Trusted Supporter

I live 3 miles from one county line road and 2 from the one to the east...My dialysis clinic is in a different county. We were given letters dated 3/15 to show as our "excuse" why I would be out...If I have to stop and prove where I am going 3x a week at 5am I'm going to get really cranky. I know that sounds ridiculous but I already have to get up earlier than before because we're not allowed to eat in the clinic now because we'd be lowering our masks. /whining.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  23. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yup. I’ve had this conversation with all my friends and family every day for what feels like a year. He is going to get destroyed by Trump.

Young people specifically aren’t going to run to the polls to vote for him.

24. Global deaths have surpassed 30,000

GrantCloud and RyanPm40 like this.
  25. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I just keep thinking about how if Trump had anything even remotely resembling human emotion and basic intelligence he would have figured out that the best way to cruise to reelection in November would have been to be on this disease from the start and handling it well. But he’s a sociopath who only cares about money so of course his stupidity and his greed led him to botch the response in favor of trying to protect the economy instead.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.