Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion VII [ARCHIVED] • Page 449

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

It’s good to be anti fascist.

2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

RamonaQuimby and RyanPm40 like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

no they're not an organized group first of all and they're fighting fascism which is inherently violent

4. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

5. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I know no one really wants it but nationwide quarantine with soldiers monitoring checkpoints between states and counties is what would have to be done for it to actually work.

I’m anxious and desperate enough to not be against it at this point. Sorry all. I’ve had so many panic attacks and depression cries and etc over the last two weeks and etc. I’m broken

6. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd say they are a group of people who are against a hateful agenda that can harm or literally exterminate millions of innocent people. I don't necessarily condone their violent tactics, but the bottom line is that they are doing it to stop hateful groups and that in itself is not a bad thing.

RamonaQuimby likes this.
  7. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

This is true, but ultimately something the population could never get behind and if they really did a nationwide lockdown where you had the military setting up barricades and blocking people in, who knows, it could start riots or something

GrantCloud and Brother Beck like this.
  8. What if you have family in different states?

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I'm definitely in a privileged position but I could realize that POC would lose their lives because of that so I can't condone it, also I am like a mile away from the county line and my job is in the next country

10. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

TBH, are any of us going to visit family right now? I'd be too paranoid to, either giving it to them or catching it from them.

11. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I live like 500 feet from one of the largest churches in my city and I’m going to be so depressed when I see their parking lot full for easter.
    Whitmer in Michigan specifically noted how sticky things get between government and churches.
    States make a ton off of liquor licenses. Also any bar/restaurant in Michigan closing down often makes 10-20 grand off liquor license sales/transfers to new owners.

I think it’s weird when grocery stores don’t or can’t carry alcohol in other states. Then again, I’m from Michigan, land of Meijer grocery stores so I can buy hardware, clothes, gallons of vodka/whiskey, wine, beers (by the bottle on some, or full cases) as well as typical grocery and pet supplies. So it’s always odd to be other places and not have all that under one roof.

I mean, fuck, the farmers market I used to work for here has 50 taps of beer, will open any beer for you to drink while you shop if you don’t want a draft beer, 25 wines to purchase by the glass or you can buy a bottle and they’ll uncork/serve you glasses of it. So anything different in other states trips me up.

Victor Eremita and orangehorizon like this.
  12. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

So being that it is just an advisory, there isn't actually any enforcement to this right? Like it seems like nothing has changed. At least in NJ, even before this, Phil Murphy had said you shouldn't travel unless it was for a few specific reasons like getting food, medicine, or essential work

fowruok and Brother Beck like this.
  13. Really depends but I think a lot of people might want to see their family if someone falls ill even if that is at distance

GrantCloud and Brother Beck like this.
  14. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

I don't think anyone should be seeing their family right now.

15. RamonaQuimby

Trusted

How would POC lose their lives because of it?

GrantCloud likes this.
  16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like any sorta suggestion of a militarized government response is kinda scary & hard to trust to me. *shrug*

17. orangehorizon

Trusted

New York state already has as many positive cases as Germany (while only having a quarter of the population) and more than twice as many deaths. That's some scary shit. I suppose especially New York City is one of the better equipped cities in the whole US but they're still going straight towards Italy's numbers. Not good.

Victor Eremita and Brother Beck like this.
  18. clucky

Trusted Supporter

we're gonna blow past Italy very quickly.

we're already stretched for resources as a country. and really only a handful of cities have gotten to the point where they are really getting slammed by this. give it a week or two and every city will be running out of hospitals and we won't be able to set up new field hospitals fast enough

does Germany just have a really good medical system? its impressive how low you've kept the death rate so far

Victor Eremita and Brother Beck like this.
  19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Germany has had a fantastic response to this entire thing so far. The frustrating part is that America had an apparatus in place much more along the lines of what Germany currently has and it was taken away after being deemed an unnecessary expense, with the bullshit afterthought thrown out there of 'well we could always just get those people back again quickly if we need them' which is absolutely not true and not how these things work, which I think we are all watching play out in real time right now.

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

It's America.

Increased police presence who are authorized to go after citizens merely for being outside will disproportionately put people of color at risk because white people who are still out and about will get treated better due to the color of their skin

21. MysteryKnight

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it was inevitable that NYC would be the worst place for this in the country. I don't blame the leadership for it. Perhaps they could have acted quicker, but even so, I feel like also a lack of cooperation from the people is also at fault. Just a few days ago I saw photos of the subways packed, people congregating at central park, etc. I know people need to take the subway to get to work and stuff, but packing into a small areas with a bunch of strangers is just asking for it to spread. So it isn't surprising to see the high numbers.

Brother Beck likes this.
  22. Everyone in the city was just on their balconies applauding and banging pans to celebrate and thank health care workers I guess. Scared the shit out of me for a moment. Felt like the end of a war or something.

Drew Beringer and Brother Beck like this.
  23. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

I saw a video of people doing their normal thing at Astoria Park in Queens yesterday. Even now, in NYC(!!!), not enough people are taking this seriously.

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

From what I have been able to gather, Germany took this situation extremely seriously back when a lot of countries were still peddling absolute bullshit untrue things to calm people down and they started testing people in large numbers extremely aggressively and very quickly. They also have a very good healthcare system and have by and large kept the more vulnerable and older population from even being infected with this in the first place. Testing seems to be the largest factor to me, but they also implemented a very serious lockdown and due to the timing of when they were being hit as opposed to other places, they did it earlier on in their situation. All of that being said they do seem to still be early on in the timeline so far, but all indications seem to point to their handling this extremely well as a country and keeping much larger numbers of people safe and healthy and not dead.

I know there are at least a few people on here who have posted from Germany in the past and I would love to hear their input. All of that is just conjecture from a scared American jealously watching Germany's response to and handling of this outbreak.

orangehorizon likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Because it's the us military

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.